“An upscale hotel in San Jose” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida 3 Calle 38 y 40, San Jose 433-1007, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Kihei, Hawaii
“An upscale hotel in San Jose”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

To begin, I never stay at hotels but my company once had me stay at Tryp while in Costa Rica. I am accustomed to hostels, and generally consider one of the most important aspects to be whether there is a community feel, and a place for people to hang out and meet one another. I can't really comment on that because Tryp is instead a very upscale type of accommodation.

Since this was a totally different accommodation experience for me, I can comment on the comfort and cleanliness of the place. It seemed very clean, and was what I would consider fancy. The beds were comfortable and there were heaps of pillows! The showers were hot, which is important for a chilly night in San Jose.

My favourite part was the breakfast buffet. The food was delicious and included a variety of breakfast items, from the traditional gallo pinto and fresh fruit to things such as a make-you-own omelet station and pastries.

If you are looking for a hotel and have high standards, I would suggest Tryp Sabana.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear surf207,

Greetings from Tryp Sabana! This is just a little note to thank you for your nice words, I will make sure the entire staff reads it since they do a big effort every day 24/7 to make our guests happy.
Regards,
Esteban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
San Isidro de El General, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

A place thatnhas a good value and has a great location. The only thing that we need to be more consistant, as at time we get great service and at time not so much. The breakfast is great. The happy hour too. It has free parking, which is a big plus!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that are big with big bathrooms, as they have some that are very small and most of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Geinier,

Greetings from San Jose! Just want to thank you for your nice words..I promise you we´re working on that consistency you refer to. Just want to let you know we are aware of it and will fix it!
thanks,
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Phone in room did not work upon check in. Could not find tv remote. A visit to the front desk advised we look in drawers for the remote. This actually produced the remote. We left at 600am just in time to miss the buffet breakfast completely. No coffee or tea or pastries available before 600am. Not the most accommodating hotel we have visited.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
To whom it may concern,

I´m very sorry to hear you didn´t like our hotel. Thanks to your review I will revised procudes at front desk since they should advise guest at check in breakfast hours, and upon request we can prepare a special breakfast before 6am. Again I´m sorry about your experience, I will have a meeting right away with FD manager to issue your complain.
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel was excellent. It was clean, the customer service was great. It was stylish in the rooms and the restaurant. They even had limitless call for free to the states. It was centrally located. They will help you with whatever you need, taxis, directions. the breakfast was great. I can't say enough. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The valet that took me to my room came in showed me everything, and then went and got ice for me when I asked where do you get ice. great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Hola! Thank you very much for your beautiful review, i will make sure the entire staff reads it since they work hard every day trying to obtain these kind of reviews!

thanks again and please let us know if you are coming down our way in the near future.
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Our first ever trip to Costa Rica, and our stay at the Tryp Sabana San Jose Hotel was an awesome experience. The rooms were very comfortable, and the employees went out of their way to be helpful. This Hotel's location makes it easy to walk into the central part of downtown San Jose. Daniela was our contact at the front counter being most helpful with anything we needed from trip arrangements, directions, permits, shuttle to and from the airport, etc.
It was a great experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BDouglas,

Hola! This is just a little thank you note for taking the time and writing such a nice review. I will make sure Daniela gets a copy! thanks again and please let us know if you are coming again our way in the new future!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were staying for a convention last weekend and were very happy with the location, close to some nice restaraunts and just a bit of a walk to the Mercado. The rooms are definitely "lived in" but kept clean. We were a bit disappointed with the daily maid service. You need to leave notes to replace your used coffee mug or glasses or silverware, otherwise you return to them sitting out all day and having to go down to get some in the lobby. Also, ere is no ice machine you pick up a bag of ice in the lobby. Daniella, working at the desk was always a pleasure, very helpful and provided efficient service, whether to book shuttle service, obtain maps, always a service with a smile. The breakfast was good, although for Costa Rice, the coffee was weak. It is a good value hotel. There is road noise, we just brought earplugs and it was fine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lifeisgreat,

Greetings from San José, Costa Rica. This is just a thank you note for taking the time and writing this review, I will forward it to housekeeping since it´s unacceptable what you are mentioning..little details that make the difference. I will also forward it to Daniel it will make her very happy! Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from staying 7 nights at the Tryp hotel. The room was great. Very clean and nicely designed. The beds were comfortable and the housekeeper, Irene did a great job cleaning and supplying what we needed. The room came with a safe and I appreciated that. I had room service a couple of time and it was good and fast arriving. One night I had trouble with my room phone when calling room service and couldn't put in the order but within a few minutes someone was at my door to take my order. The front desk was very accommodating and service oriented. The buffet breakfast was great. Waffles, omelet bar, fresh fruit, pastries, gallo pinto. All included in the price of the room. If I had to think of a negative it would be the street noise in the morning. Not the hotel's fault but for light sleepers, take ear plugs.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
eoreamuno, General Manager at Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Greetings from San José! Thank you very much for your review, it´s so nice to read such beautiful reviews..thanks for your time and we´ll be here for your next visit.
Esteban

Been to Tryp Sabana Hotel by Wyndham? Share your experiences!