“Not good” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aldea Hostel

You added Aldea Hostel to your Saves list
Aldea Hostel
Avenida 2, Calle 28 100m sur Pizza Hut Paseo Colon | Frente a la Sala Garbo, San Jose 10001, Costa Rica (Formerly Hotel Petit Victoria)   |
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
“Not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

I have never written a review before but I was so surprised by this hostel that I decided to write one. I did not like this hostel at all and yet it has such good reviews...? All of the staff were nice but most were 'relaxed' to the point of being apathetic and unhelpful. The bathroom was not clean plus they openly admitted to not always changing sheets between guests which I think is inexcusable. The place, though nicely decorated, has a very cold feeling. Not a hang out, homely feel that most good hostels manage to achieve. I would not recommend this place to friends.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

Upon my arrival at San Jose airport, I took a red cab and ask him to take me and my fiancee to a hostel were we have a booking for that night, but the guy told us that the place was closed and a said a lot of bad stuff about the place in the end we asked him to take us to a nice place, he took us to Aldea..... this place is not nice at all, no hot water, only one computer for the guests, no smoking areas, the people on the front desk were rude and I think two of them were high and tried to rob something from us. The next day we left to Jaco and when we came back we find out that the place we booked at the first is open and way better than this place, and they give money to the taxi drivers to tell lies to the people....
For short: Aldea is a place where you are going to get robbed, REAAALLY bad rooms, an AWFUL service, STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!!
PS: and I heard that the other reviews were written by the owner of the hostel...... thats lame....

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

The hostel is much cleanier than others I have seen. The employees are fairly nice and helpful. There is a full size pool table, and when I stayed guests and employees were playing card games and backgammen. The building is nicely contructed, unlike many other hostels. Dont trust taxi drivers, they will tell you hostels are full or will make fake calls and act like they cannot get you a room in any hostel. Aldea hostel has many rooms, thus I doubt it would fill up. If you are in San Jose, I definitely recommend this hostel for the price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed in this hostel in total 3 times in a period of 3 weeks and we will highly recommend it to other backpackers.
The rooms are nice and very clean and the owner Amir is a really nice and friendly guy who will gladly help you with any problem or question.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

I have stayed at several hostels and this one was very good. The room was clean as was the common area and kitchen. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The kitchen had lots of space and everything you need to prepare a meal. Unfortunately the power in the building went out as I was taking a shower but came back on about a half hour later. I don't expect things to be perfect at hostels so the cold shower in the dark didn't really bother me! For $20 for a double private room I thought it was a great value. There is a grocery store a short walk away and it is one block from a major street. It was a bit noisy at night but we were also there during a festival.

• Stayed December 2010
Calistoga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

We stayed overnight in San Jose in order to catch a flight early the next afternoon, and this hostel was just perfect. The building it's in has beautiful high ceilings and large windows, and is nicely artsy, decorated with bright paintings; on this basis among others, it was nicer than most of the (much pricier) places we stayed at on our trip. The hostel also provided decently warm water and comfortable beds, as well as a nice breakfast in the morning. The people working there were so friendly and helpful, and even got us a discount at a delicious Turkish restaurant downtown! It's still a work-in-progress (we were told it was completed only 5 months ago), but the work they've done so far has been great, and for the price, it'd be hard to find a better place to stay. Really recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Fort Bragg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

I was very happy when my taxi suggested Aldea. Arriving in San Jose during a torrential rain storm, and with know idea where I was (the Tica Bus station location was new and not in my guide book), I was delighted to not have to try and find something on my own. Aldea is very close to the bus station and to the downtown area. Across the street is a fun little live Shakespearian theater (English speaking) with a very popular and cool bar underneath - right nest door to an art film cinema. All the city buses pass near by and you aren't far from the Coca-Cola station for buses everywhere else in the country. it took me a couple of days to get my bearings but I loved it and went back later in my trip. They remembered who I was too.
I will go back soon as I return to Costa Rica.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Been to Aldea Hostel? Share your experiences!