“The worst experience I've ever had travelling.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of In & Basic Hostel Lounge

and 1 more site!
You added In & Basic Hostel Lounge to your Saves list
In & Basic Hostel Lounge
200 m South and 75 m west of Spoon, Los Yoses | Fatima's church North side, San Jose 2045, Costa Rica   |
Duncan, Ok
“The worst experience I've ever had travelling.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I arranged to stay at the In&Basic Hostel this past month for myself and a group of university students travelling and studying abroad in Costa Rica. I was excited and interested in the hostel as a whole because it had such great reviews and seemed like a wonderful place to stay. The price was also great. When we arrived, I was pleased to find that the hostel was just as beautiful as the photos suggested. Our host told us about the rules of the hostel, which seemed reasonable at the time, but we would soon find out that there were many more unstated rules. First thing to note is that this hostel was not prepared or equipped to handle a large group. There were 18 people in my group (which I thought was a good thing because I was bringing them so much business). The host immediately began complaining from day one about the amount of traffic in the bathroom as well as the effects of that traffic (such as condensation on the floor and some water on the floor after showers). The next thing he started to complain about was the usage of water, as we were filling up our water bottles. He indicated that he could no longer allow us to do that, even though he had welcomed us to drink the water when we arrived. He also complained about having to let our group in and out of the hostel, stating to some of the students that he "wasn't their maid." Except that we were his customers trying to come in and out of our hotel!!!! The final straw was that some of us became ill with a stomach virus while were there (including myself). The host was very miserly and cruel about my being sick, as he said it would cost him extra cleaning. He would come into my room without permission and yell at me about how much I needed to go to to the hospital (which seemed to be more about him getting me out of his hostel than about my actual health). Then he would confront me (as I'm still sick) about how he was incurring "extra costs" due to my illness. He also demanded compensation, which he took by not allowing my group to stay our final night at his hostel and then refusing to refund us. In addition to all of that, the rooms were ill equipped. My room had thin walls and was bordered the main sitting room and eating area where people would stay up all night and talk, thus keeping me from sleeping. Also, the owner played loud music all day and until late at night, making it difficult to do anything else at the hostel. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone, as I don't think the owner knows anything about hospitality or good business practices.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
inandbasic, Owner at In & Basic Hostel Lounge, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
This person or group had non writte a propper response or review for Inandbasic Hostel Lounge; due I am the owner, my name is Paula Guidi; and I never received them, they were never my guests; and it never happened in our instalations...
Please manage this situation in order to erase this review.
Regards,
Paula Güidi
Inandbasic Hostel Lounge
San Jose
Costa Rica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was looking forward to staying in this beautiful hostel with my fellow research students, but we had a bad experience. The owner's wife was very kind and gracious, but her husband was quite rude to us. He would not allow us--responsible college adults of 19 and up--to stay out in the main areas, even quietly, after 10:30 p.m.. Now, this would have been fine if he had specified that before our stay began, but he had only informed us that the kitchen would close at that time. And, other guests were given permission to stay, while we were not. I was Skyping my boyfriend, not bothering anyone, and he told me I needed to leave and go to bed in the middle of my conversation, but turned around to a couple sitting next to me and told them to turn out the lights when they had finished talking. He also repeatedly got mad at us for leaving the bathroom floor wet after getting out of our showers. At first, I thought we were the culprits, but then after I took a shower, the floor was wet before I had even stepped out of the shower. We concluded that it was the poor design of the shower and curtain placement, but when we tried to tell him, he refused to listen to us. On another occasion, two of my friends were out in the dining area playing checkers quietly at midnight. I went out to throw away some trash in the dining room trash can because we had no trash can in our room and as we were out there, not even talking, he stormed out and began admonishing us for being out in the main area. Then, he turned out the lights on us, leaving us in pitch darkness. My friend nearly tripped over a chair before my other friend got a light on. In another incident, I was staying in the four person dorm and one morning, I was awakened by the sound of the owner yelling at his wife in the next door kitchen--not a pleasant way to wake up. At the end of our trip, he demanded more money from us because we had been such destructive guests, even though we were as polite as possible. I was astounded that there were so many great reviews about this establishment, but it may have been the size of our group that he felt threatened by. I was very disturbed by his treatment of the group's women, including myself. The beds were not very comfortable and creaked often in the dorms, but I don't know about the beds in the other rooms. The best things about the hostel were the breakfasts (yummy pancakes), the location, the quietness, and the cleanliness. I am sad that this hostel does not get a better review from me....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
This person and review doesnt match or its in regards of Inandbasic Hostel Lounge due I am the owner and I haven´t received or have records of this group to be and arrived to my Hostel.

This is just false.

Regards,

Paula Güidi Sassano
Inandbasic Hostel Lounge
Owner
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here for the first few days of my trip to Costa Rica and again when I was passing through San Jose again. Ron & Karlis were really helpful ahead of my arrival as well as once I had got there. The hostel is clean and comfortable, about a 20 minute walk to downtown but located in a nice quite neighborhood, with easy access to a supermarket and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed here the last few days of our trip throughout Central America. We absolutely loved our stay here. The people who run it are really nice and helpful. They make homemade pizza which are great as well. Good beds, nice people, clean bathrooms, exactly what you want in a hostel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and was really happy with the choice of hostel. It's in a really nice area of San Jose. The hostel is clean, has a sociable vibe to it with a big tv, laptops for guests to use, clean bathrooms, well equipped kitchen, good dining area and huge sofas in the living room. It feels more like living in a house than a hostel. The owners are friendly too. Will be returning on my visit to San Jose. It's also around the corner to a huge supermarket (good if you're cooking in), San Pedro Mall and an amazing cafe, Sweet Sensations, for a cupcake fix.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Hi,

I stayed here on my first and last night in costa rica.

The owners arranged :

# transportation from the airport and return

( verry kind driver was waiting for me with a sign with my name on , this was a good start for the vacation for me )

# Rental car

( 4 x 4 , small jeep as asked , it was perfect and looked brand new , and the most importent the cheapest " when traveling around casta rica comparing the prices with other travellers and searching the internet )

# I could always ask for information when travelling trough facebook or email.

# The Hostel is a little out of the city area , buth the prices are nice's , Rooms are basic but verry clean.
They provide , free laptops , x box and other.

# breakfast ( quite simple : pancakes but good )

Overall : The staff was verry helfpull , friendly there was a nice vibe , had a good rest in the rooms , and they arenged me good deals and information.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOSTEL TO ANY TRAVELLER. !!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed two times at the In&Basic at the very begining of our trip to Costa Rica and at the end before leaving for the airport.
Ron & Karlis (the owners) had very good knowledge of all the activities that one can do in Costa Rica along with info on how to do them and how to get there. Quite impressive.
The hostel is clean and the common areas are freshly decorated and comfortable (giant TV, pool table, nice sofas, well equiped kitchen, exotic garden, wifi, ...).

During our second we arrived quite late at the hostel and Ron drove us to a 24h store so that we could grab some late groceries for diner.

I would definitely recommand this place for an entry or exit point in Costa Rica.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to In & Basic Hostel Lounge? Share your experiences!