“The Sportsmen's Lodge is Decent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sportsmens Lodge

Sportsmens Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose
Sportsmens Lodge
Save Saved
You added Sportsmens Lodge to your Saves list
Casa 949 en Barrio Otoyo, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #18 of 54 San Jose B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“The Sportsmen's Lodge is Decent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed at the sportsmen's lodge form 04/28/2013 to 04/31/2013 and I found it to be a pretty good hotel. The staff there are very friendly an helpful and the food is pretty good. I went during a religious week so it wasn't very actice until that Sat. but I will visit CR again in Oct. to get the full effects. The rooms are clean and cleaned daily, but in my opinion a little overpriced for the size of them. The girls there are GREAT!!!! When all is said and done I had a good time at the SL and I will return. Oh and I never heard the train that other people complained about and the security there was also GREAT!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
SANTA CRUZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Treat yourself to a room in the Mansion Wing, and the adventure begins. There are rides for every taste, from big and scary, to small and sleek. All available for your immediate enjoyment. I guarantee you will leave your stay, with a smile that lasts for weeks. Remember the first time you explored the Matterhorn, that feeling of being alive and walking on air, it is never to late to relive those moments.

Main man Bill is there to make sure your stay is memorable. His gaggle of lady bartender are sweet and efficient. The food is good and the Tortilla soup is really good.

Bill thanks for the reserved table, it made Saturday night even more special.

Room Tip: The Mansion Wing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Glendale, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This place is basically a hooker hangout. Costa Rica has legal prostitution and this is one of the several places to go where hookers are invited to hang out and approach the clientele to offer their services.

That aside - though I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay there unless that was your reason - the place has a number of problems:

1) many of the rooms are very noisy. I have heard some are not but I know that many of them are based on where they are located - near the very noisy bar.
2) the food is overpriced and totally unremarkable . The nachos are passable for example but not great. The omelet was horrible - super greasy, almost inedible. Most of the food I have had there is edible but far from "good". Overpriced wouldn't be so bad if it was really good but it's not that good at all.
3) the bar is way too noisy; they crank the music up as if it were a 90's disco or something yet no one is dancing and most people are just trying to talk to each other but they have to yell over the loud music. This might be acceptable if it were later in the evening or if there were dancing but this is all day long.
4) the waitresses are not very good. Some are but some are not.
5) it's off the beaten path so if you want to go anywhere, even in the day time you have to take a taxi. I'd rather be closer to the main area of San Jose where I can walk to where I'm going in the day time
6) for those who are going for the prostitution I recommend one of the hotels in Gringo Gulch - where the hotel Del Rey is. I won't recommend one here but I'll just say that the Del Rey has about 30 more times the women and they're generally better looking too.

The bottom line:
Sportsmen's Lodge is an okay place to stay if you can't get a room in another cheaper better hotel closer to Gringo Gulch (main area near the Holiday Inn). As for going there to eat or check out the girls, again, I'd stay near the Del Rey and go there instead for the girl watching.

Room Tip: There is no pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at my hotel by cab and was quickly checked in at the front desk. As I walked by the bar I couldnt help but notice how friendly and inviting it looked, just like the pictures on their website. I was shown to my room in the 'Mansion Wing' (highly recommended) which I had requested because it is the furthest wing from the bar area, and quiet) After unpacking and showering, myself and my friends went down to the bar for some drinks and a few appetizers. WOW, the bar servers are extremely friendly and good looking. The food is as good or better than we are used to in North America, with a nice selection of meals.I ate breakfast in the bar every morning and was not dissapointed once. The owner 'Bill' knew me by name and was always in a cheery mood with a hello. In summary, I couldnt have been happier in a 5 star hotel!! Everyone that worked at this hotel made me feel welcome from the moment I set foot in the place, until I had to go home. This is not a family hotel, but for a single man, it is an awesome hotel!!

• Stayed February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you are a guy(group of guys) and you want to meet people this is a great hotel !
Lots of sports on TV, great bartenders and good food menu at bar.
Lots of friendly local talent stops by afternoons and evenings.
Casual atmosphere.
I was there in mid October 2012. Good security and that is all handled right at hotel entrance.
Neighborhood is very nice Barrio Otoyo (former coffee baron home area).
Pargue de Simon Bolvar is nearby.
Always cabs by hotel if you need a ride somewhere.
As noted in other reviews: There is no pool and the hotel is not a high rise.

Room Tip: Rooms have spanish names not numbers. When booking a room beware if you room is off the bar area a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Muskegon, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The picture of the pool is for a hotel in California, not Costa Rica. Soeone needs to correct that. While I have never stayed at this hotel I did eat there often as it was the nearest place to eat from where I was staying. I always enjoyed the food and the menu. My time in Costa Rica was in 2008 and 2009. While I did mark another time period, I had to do that because it was required to submit review and the time period I was there was not available.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is an unashamedly Gringo hangout with all that comes with that. But the rooms are very very nice, the staff are friendly and helpful, the security is excellent, and the bar and restaurant can't be beat. After a week or two of back-packing around Costa Rica this is a great place to finish off a trip.
The rooms have great beds, fantastic bathrooms, and elegant furniuture.
The bar has non-stop sports channels with just about everythuing you might want to watch. If you sport is not showing, just ask the bar staff to change one of the TVs.
I had a room just off the bar during a previous visit but I didn't find the noise too bad. On my last visit, i stayed in the club section and it was super quiet.
All the bar staff are extremely pleasant and friendly, and the female patrons are always entertaining to say the least.
To avoid any complications at check-out, ask for your mini-bar to be emptied when you check in.

Room Tip: The club section is very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sportsmens Lodge? Share your experiences!