“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Cambranes Lodge

Save Saved
You added Casa Cambranes Lodge to your Saves list
Casa Cambranes Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 mts sur de Cafeteria Spoon, Los Yoses | San Pedro, Montes de Oca, San Jose 2261/2050, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in San Jose
Mainz, Germany
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed for 1 week in this hotel for business and had a really good experience here. The staff was very nice and helpful from the beginning until the end. For breakfast you can choose if you want a normal international breakfast, or something typical from Costa Rica. As you can expect, the coffee was great as well. They adviced me on tours and sightseeing. Free Wi-fi, good enough to make videocalls on skype. In the neighborhood is a mall with a food plaza and many other good restaurants.
The room and bathroom was always VERY clean and modern, i had cable TV with over 60 channels and a big bed. No noise, i could easily fall asleep.

I would definitely go back to this hotel if i visit this country again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
asheville, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

My partner and I spent two nights at the Casa Cambranes. I chose it for the location. It is close to the "non downtown" places I was interested in (Los Yoses) but off the main thoroughfare, so quiet. The man who greeted us didn't speak great English, but he was most accommodating and pleasant and quickly took care of anything that needed care, made good suggestions about how to handle things like getting to the airport. (I was surprised it only cost $30 to get there by taxi!) We were able to walk to the University and to other pleasant parts of town. The room was clean and we loved it being purple, my favorite color! The tub was large enough for both of us, although it didn't actually have jets to make it a jacuzzi. The room was simple but sufficient. We only ate breakfast one day because we left too early to go to the Pacuare on the other day. We weren't real excited about the tamale, so they made us some eggs. You do have to get your bags up one flight of stairs, but they are quite willing to help.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

I recently stayed at Casa Cambranes Lodge in San Jose, Costa Rica. It was affordable, clean, very conveniently located near the City, but in a very safe area. I felt very safe and was able to walk to a grocery store, restaurants, and the San Jose downtown area. It was also reasonably priced. The best part of my visit were the people who ran the hotel. Everyone was so nice and helpful. Over my 10 day stay I feel in love with Melissa would prepared my breakfast every morning. She and the other employees of the hotel are very nice. The owner is a historian and writer and a very kind person. He and his family run the hotel. I can't say enough about how helpful and friendly everyone was. My Spanish is not very strong and the staff of the Hotel spoke very good English. I have stayed in many hotels in Costa Rica, but I have never felt so at home as I did at the Casa Cambranes. I visit Costa Rica at least 2 times a year. I plan to visit this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

While attending to hearings at the Interamerican Human Rights Court, three colleagues and I stayed at Casa Cambranes, just beside the Tribunal. Choosing this place proved to be the right decision. It's clean and comfortable. The staff is amazing, always willing to help - all of them with no exception were nice, polite and extremely friendly. The owner himself is a fantastic figure who has lots of stories to tell. The breakfast was very good (with strawberries and yogurt, and even gallo pinto if you want). The room itself is very pleasant with nice colors and even a jacuzzi. The neighborhood is quiet and relaxing. All of this at an affordable price. Tottally recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Don Julio's personal atention, willingness to please and interesting conversation is overwhelming. His loyal staff is also very open and helpfull.
I have been in three hotels of similar price in San Jose, and Casa Cambranes is by far the best.

Paul Bosche

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I've stayed at the Casa Cambranes several times over the past two years, sometimes for as long as a month at a time while I gave a class in San Jose. To me it is the perfect place for its reliable wi-fi, bright, clean rooms, and most of all the warmth and charm of manager Julio Cambranes, a Guatemalan historian and author who will go above and beyond to assist his guests with logistical matters, suggestions of what to do in San Jose, or anything else. Each room in the hotel has a personalized, brightly colored design that makes them quite unique. And each morning the breakfast menu is so delicious and substantive (fruit, toast, traditional Costa Rican beans-and-rice, etc.) that I have serious problems saving room for lunch and dinner! The Casa Cambranes regularly has guests from all over the world, especially Latin America (during sessions of the next-door Inter-American Court of Human Rights, it is populated by lawyers and their clients from diverse countries).

The Casa Cambranes is a good deal (roughly half what the other area 4-star, the Boutique Jade, charges) and long-term guests can ask about pricing arrangements. Generally everything comes included in the room (internet, etc.) There are also snacks and beverages for purchase.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I was looking for an hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica when I made a reservation at Casa Cambranes for 31 nights. I was assisted by Julio Castellanos Cambranes, the manager.

Besides asking for a higher rate than any other hotels for the same quality in San Jose, Costa Rica they have a horrible service. They actually cancelled my reservation because they were demanding that I would have to pay in advance.

I am sure the quality & service they announce on their website is a scam as they wanted me to pay in advance. When I suggested to pay the first night only in order to see with my own eyes how the hotel was, and pay the following 30 nights right on the second night. They cancelled me the reservation.

Where in the world some hotel manager cancels a reservation? I am absolutely sure that he wasn't confident of himself and the hotel in order to let me pay for the next 30 nights on the 2nd night .

There are way other options in San Jose which offer better costumer service and price!

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Natalia G, Director de Recepción at Casa Cambranes Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
In regards to the comments made by this person, we have verifyed that he never stayed in our hotel. It is our policy to charge one night in advanced when the customer is planning to stay for more than 5 nights.

Been to Casa Cambranes Lodge? Share your experiences!