“Great Experience at Hostel 1110!” 5 of 5 stars

Hostel 1110
Hostel 1110
Calle 11, Avenida 14, San Jose 555, Costa Rica   |
Bar Harbor, Maine
“Great Experience at Hostel 1110!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed one night in Hostel 1110 with my boyfriend in a private room, and due to my odd flight departure in the shared dorm for part of one night. Everything was super clean, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The lodging was comfortable. The courtyard was beautiful, and the on-site kitchen and computer with internet connection was very handy! The staff at Hostel 1110 answered all of my emails and questions completely and promptly when I was looking to book, and were very accommodating with my last minute booking changes and inconvenient flight time. They even let us store our luggage at the Hostel after we had checked out so that we could walk around San Jose unencumbered! And then, when we decided to stay at the Hostel to nap before our 2:00am flight they found us beds in their shared dorm at a very affordable rate! I was also impressed with the honesty of the staff. They gave us detailed directions and recommendations for seeing San Jose, arranged for an airport shuttle service that was cheaper than the taxis, and when a valuable item was found in our room while they were cleaning and after we had checked out it was returned to us immediately! Thank you Hostel 1110 for making our stay in San Jose so enjoyable!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bogota, Colombia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

At $25USD for a private room (after asking for a discount) with shared bathroom this place was unfriendly, with dirty bathrooms and kitchen. The room was clean that was the only good part of the hostel although it had no windows and was in the building across from the actual hostel (behind 2 locked gates). When I asked the person at the front desk if she could do anything about her friend smoking next to the window of the room she was offering us she said no. Breakfast was two pieces of white bread and jam.

Room Tip: try not to stay in the buidling accross the street from the hostel. It has a very dirt bathroom and...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuwait City, Kuwait
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

So this was the first place that I stayed in Central America in Costa Rica. I had ironically booked online thinking this would make more sense. Less than four days later here and after constant creepy harrassment from one of the "regulars" here I asked for a refund since I had already paid and I decided to go to Nicaragua instead. Rodrigo looked dumbfounded at this request and even told me that there was no way to give my money back because he had just paid the rent. Ok so I'm sorry I know I'm from the States but really if I pay you money for something and want a refund because I will not be there uhh aren't you supposed to give it back; could've sworn that's customer service. This was the first disappointment in Central America; also "continental breakfast" was old piece of bread, gross looking banana and disgusting coffee. Accomodations were clean enough; bathroom was somewhat clean but would not for the life of me let me let any part of my clothing touch anything while changing. Overall fail and it was nothing like the pictures it was disappointing there were creepers here which as a single female traveller i did not appreciate. Oh and again lack of security amazing, lack of customer care/ service amazing, getting refund back of course not. So if u want to be ripped off and freaked out go for it here

Honestly I should have just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express at least I was expecting to get ripped off.

Room Tip: Don't bother unless u want to be ripped off and disappointed
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I agree with some other reviews that the website is indeed lovely. However, for the quality of rooms and service, it is very overpriced.

The building is charming, and the room was clean. However, we had a room with a private bathroom, and there was a serious problem with sewer gas the whole time we were there. It got so bad that we could barely go in to the bathroom at all. Luckily we were only staying one night.

The breakfast is just gross-- white sandwich bread with cheap jam and fake butter. And they go to the trouble of pre-portioning TWO ONLY slices of bread for each guest in individual sandwich baggies. I think the sandwich baggies cost more than the collective breakfast ingredients in the first place. Why bother?? It just looks stingy.

The airport shuttle they advertise on their website is NOT free. It costs more than hailing a cab off the street does (that is, if you can bargain). They also charge for towels, though the woman working at the desk the night we arrived either took pity on us or forgot to charge us.

The woman working when we arrived was not at all eager to answer our questions. She either didn't know much about the area, or didn't care. After she recommended us a closed restaurant around the corner, we ended up wandering around for about two hours until we found a place to eat. That said, the hostel is close enough to center that you can walk there and feel reasonably safe at night. But as we were walking, we saw quite a few other places to stay even closer that we're likely to try next time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Clean, spacious rooms and plenty of indoor and outdoor common areas for mingling. Hostel is located on a busy, noisy street but is a short walk to the major sites downtown. The free breakfast is nothing special: toast, butter, jam, coffee.

Our first two nights were pleasant and quiet. But then a group of Panamanian football players checked in and proceeded to party for two nights straight, drinking, yelling, and playing loud music into the wee hours. Unfortunately, the staff did nothing to address the noise complaints from many of the disgruntled guests.

A heads up: Write down the name and phone number of the hotel. People in San Jose -- even the taxi drivers -- don't use addresses or know street names. Directions are based on distances from landmarks (ex. 100 m south of the church). We arrived at the airport after midnight and spent over an hour riding around the city center as our cabbie couldn't locate the hostel's street and I didn't have a phone number to call.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We only stayed for 2 nights, but returned for one more. The old colonial building with pretty courtyard is safe, 24hr security and is handy for a couple of good local restaurants - Tin Jo (asian fusion with extensive menu) and a good argentinian restaurant on same street. It's an easy 10mins stroll to the central square, theatro nacional, and the lovely Amon district. Staff at the hostel were friendly and some also spoke english (as needed). B'fast is basic but available pretty much from 5.30am onwards if you have an early connection or departure. There's a small courtyard also outside, but the central courtyard inside is lovely - although if there are any late-night owls up socialising there it's quite noisy and you may have trouble sleeping through it.
They are able to organise tours, buses and taxis for you. Rooms are clean and have hot water - we only stayed in the private rooms - dorms appear to be quite spacious too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

The location is extremely noisy (street). Only some of the rooms are in the nice main building, the others are across the street in another building. Very poor breakfast, no towels, no soap in the restroom.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hostel 1110? Share your experiences!