“Luis Barrantes is the best. Honest. Helpful. And good company too!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Driver - Private Tours

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Attraction Details
Useful Information: Activities for older children
NY, NY
“Luis Barrantes is the best. Honest. Helpful. And good company too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

Based at the Orquideas Inn in Alejuela, Luis is a tour driver/guide extraordinaire!

Find him here: [--] or here: www.orquideasinn.com

Luis drove me from the International airport to my first destination Orquideas Inn my first day in CR. Traveling alone and female, I immediately felt comfortable and safe with Luis. The next day he drove me to Nature Air to start my trip to the Osa Peninsula. He taught me a lot about CR en route, as his English is excellent (and my Spanish very poor)! Now friends, I contacted him upon my return to Alejuela, and he spent a good long day driving me around and showing me the sights. Was well worth the $140 fee considering I could never find my way around the city and wouldn't have known about some of the good local spots he suggested. Plus, he was good company, looked out for my safety, and took some great pictures for me. Gracias, Luis!

parky17
4 attraction reviews
“Having Danny as our driver was a great start to our trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We hired Danny to drive us from our first hotel in Alajuela to Arenal and then we had one of his drivers drive us from Monteverde to Quepos and then again from Quepos back to Alajuela. This was definitely the right decision for us! Danny (and the other two drivers - Oscar and I'm sorry but I can't remember the third driver's name - Martin?) were all so courteous, helpful, professional, friendly and full of information about their country. They would stop along the way to point out interesting sites (including a toucan and two scarlet maccaws in trees that we would not have seen otherwise). I know there are many discussions regarding driving yourself or hiring a driver. For us (a group of 4) there is no question that hiring a driver was the right decision. We wouldn't know half of the information that we now know about Costa Rica if it wasn't for these drivers. Also - I found the cost very reasonable.

Rockville, Maryland
“Hiring Danny Jimenez was the right decision”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

Relying on tripadvisor reviews, we hired Danny Jimenez as our driver in Costa Rica, and we were not disappointed. He was punctual, professional, knowledgeable and charming. He drove us from San Jose to Manual Antonio and from Manuel Antonio to Varablanca. The trips were a pleasure. He drove carefully and he did an excellent job of choosing restaurants for us along the way. We would recommned him without qualification. All of the arrangements were easily made by email. Danny can be contacted at costaricadriver@gmail.com.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
“Terrific experience w/ Danilo Jimenez”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

We booked transfers from San Jose to Arenal and back w/ Danny - on one week's notice and just a couple of emails. Danny was so responsive to my inquiry, so easy to work with, and the entire experience w/ him was one of the easiest most positive travel experiences I've had. He was early to pick us up, a charming host during the drive, gracious about offering places to stop (including bungee jumping on the way into La Fortuna), a safe driver, etc... I really can't recommend him highly enough - he took one of the potentially most stressful parts of travelling in an unknown country and made it an absolute pleasure. I wish he could be franchised worldwide. He was unavailable to drive us on our return so he arranged for Ronald to pick us up, and then take us to the airport the next morning. Ronald was equally gracious (another bungee jump on the way back!) and the vans on all trips were clean, and well air-conditioned (though that wasn't always necessary).

I priced out our transfers through a couple of different services and Danny's prices were the best. If the transfer alone were all he provided it would be a great deal. But in addition you get a tour guide, charming/relaxed host, and the feeling that you are in good hands. If I went back to Costa Rica I would start my planning with him and would trust any advice he had about hotels, restaurants, best ways to travel etc...

You really can't go wrong with Danny - I would recommend him highly to anyone travelling within Costa Rica.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Hire Danny for the best driving experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Danny was our driver from the San Jose airport to Costa Rica's South Caribbean Coast and back. If you are looking for someone professional, safe, reliable, on-time, and knowledgeable, Danny is your guy. Our experience with Danny as our driver could not have been any better!! Leave the insane experience of driving in Costa Rica to him, while you relax in the air-conditioned comfort of his vehicle. He is very proud of his country, and you will learn more about Costa Rica riding with Danny than you can read on any website. He will take you anywhere you want to go, so contact him at Danny Jimenez...[--]