“Hit or miss” 3 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I recently thought I was hiring Danny Jimenez to transport my husband and I between three locations (four different drives) on our Costa Rica trip. I had emailed extensively with Danny prior to his picking us up at our first hotel on our second day in Costa Rica. When the driver arrived, I introduced myself assuming I was meeting Danny. I was surprised to learn that it was another driver, which was fine, but Danny had led me to believe that he would be driving us on the trip, and I was taken a little aback as I felt this was something that maybe should have been mentioned in the prior emails.
Our Driver for three of the four trips, Ted, was a friendly, knowledgeable person, with whom we enjoyed talking for the long hours of the drives. He became a familiar face that we looked forward to seeing each time he picked us up. Our driver for the leg of our trip from Monteverde to Arenal, however, was a commissioned driver from another company, and he drove fast and recklessly, seemed angry at times, and almost hit a cow in the middle of the road in his impatience to pass a group of cattle crossing the road.
Maybe I should have been more proactive about this, but as wonderful as Ted was, the drives themselves were indeed more straight transportation, granted in a comfortable and relaxed setting, rather than "tours." The stops that we did have were mostly bathroom break oriented. This would have been fine if it had been what I was expecting, but in Danny's initial emails, he outlined activities, such as stopping at a bridge to see crocodiles, that never happened in the actual drives.
My other comment is that there seems to be a lack of communication between Danny and the other drivers, specifically regarding hotels. Our driver never knew where our hotel was located, and on two occasions, it took a substantial amount of time for him to ask around for correct directions. I felt responsible, thinking that I should have gotten directions from the hotels myself, but then I realized that by hiring a company such as this and paying a hefty amount for their services, it is not my responsibility to make sure I know how to get from point A to point B. Also, there was one instance in which my husband and I were left waiting for an hour outside our hotel because a driver commissioned to take us from Malpais to the Nicoya ferry hadn't realized that the road required a four wheel drive vehicle, and thus he could not drive up the road to get us. My husband and I considered walking with our luggage down the steep and long dirt road to meet him, but again, we are paying for services to take care of transportation precisely because we knew there would be roads like this. We made the decision to hire someone else to deal with issues such as these, and that person clearly had some communication issues that hindered the process. The road to our hotel was in very bad shape, but the driver who dropped us off there, Ted, could have easily relayed that information back to the main office, who could have in turn notified the commissioned driver that would be picking us up from the hotel that he would need a four wheel drive vehicle to get us.
Overall, this company got us where we were going, and our main driver, Ted, was wonderful, but communication breakdowns and an unpleasant and reckless commissioned driver made this experience one I probably would not repeat were I to return to Costa Rica.

Visited January 2013

Avon, CT
6 attraction reviews
“Costaricadriver.com You won't go wrong!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

So how does hiring a driver fit in with your self-image as being independent and adventurous? After all, you chose to go to Costa Rica for adventure. I debated and rehashed this many times before taking the plunge.The deciding factor for me was the cost of a four wheel drive rental for ten days that could accomodate six people. Add to that the price of gas (about $5.20/gallon at time of review) and it seemed like an economical decision. (Most roads we were on were passable without four wheel, except for the mountains near Tenorio where a four wheel drive is a must) What I didn't realize was how stress-free it would make the vacation. We were in Costa Rica for ten days at five different locations. We were picked up from our flight, tired after a 3 am two hour drive to the airport, followed by a four 1/2 hour flight. We were driven to a Coffee Plantation tour by an English speaking, fun, informative gentleman named Erik. He then dropped us off at our hotel which I'm not sure we would have easily found on our own. Danny Jiminez (the contact person at Costa Rica Drivers) allowed for itinerary changes as we made our way across Arenal, Tenorio and Guanacaste. We definitely would have gotten lost finding our way to our lodging in Tenorio. The vans we traveled in were larger and more comfortable than the car we would have rented and my husband was able to enjoy the scenery en route for once. The drivers stopped whenever we wanted. On the way to the Tenorio region we pulled over at a souvenier stand run by indigenous peoples and through the translation ablilities of our driver were able to shoot arrows from a bow used in traditional hunts. Another driver helped us in the grocery store find the items we could not locate. We were without a car in two areas (La Fortuna and Playa Langosta) and taking taxis was less expensive than renting a car and did not limit our ability to stop at shops or visit the attractions we wanted to see. (We had several taxi drivers stop for a quick visit into a store) A real unplanned bonus associated with using a driver was having set departure times and accountability for the four twenty- somethings (kids and boyfriend). A last minute addition required transportation to the airport in Liberia. We were able to set this up via email and were charged the price (very competivtive) that we were quoted two months earlier. In addition to all this, the drivers were timely, professional and informative; sharing their knowledge about the areas through which we traveled.
This is a truly professional and service oriented operation. Please message me if you want to know specifics. I highly recommend this service.

Visited January 2013
Houston TX
5 attraction reviews
“Costa Rica driver--Danny Jimenez--very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We used Danny Jimenez both ways from San Jose to Los Suenos. He was very professional and on time. When we arrived, one bag did not and we were at least an hour later than our flight arrival, maybe 1.5 hrs. We were a little concerned that he might have left, but he did not and was very understanding about it.He stopped to show us the crocodiles and just in general was very knowledgeable and personable. I would definitely use him again.

Visited December 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
11 attraction reviews
“Excellent experience with Danny”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We hired Danny with Costa Rica Driver for a round-trip transfer from the San Jose airport to our hotel in Manuel Antonio. We were initially impressed with the quick response we received from Danny via e-mail about a price quote and reservation. We were further impressed to find such a friendly and helpful guy waiting for us as we exited the airport. Danny stopped for us to have lunch, then again at an area where we could observe crocodiles from a bridge. When it came time to head back to the airport, Danny was at our hotel early so we had no wait. He was a wealth of information about the wildlife and culture of Costa Rica, and we enjoyed his company tremendously. Mostly, the peace of mind we had by hiring Danny and not having to navigate to another airport or use a multi-stop shuttle service was worth every penny. I HIGHLY recommend Danny for your transportation needs!

Visited December 2012
Dover, Delaware
14 attraction reviews
“Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked Danny for our transfer from San Jose to Manzanillo. Danny met us at the Holiday Inn right on time. During the 4 hour trip he was great to talk to about anything and everything we wanted to know about. He even bought us a local snack so that we could taste a local favorite. Danny was honest, friendly, and informative. For the ride back to San Jose from Manzanillo Danny sent another drive by the name of Jesus.. He was great. He came early so that we would not miss our flight. He tried to teach us some spanish and he joined us for lunch at a really good local place near San Jose. We loved meeting manhy new people in Costa Rica. I highly recommend Danny's company.

Visited October 2012