“Cozy, a bit pricey, but with good food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aya Sofia Cafe and Bistro

Aya Sofia Cafe and Bistro
St. 33 Ave 3, Barrio Escalante, de Bagleman 170 mts al norte, San Jose, Costa Rica
Improve this listing
Ranked #79 of 314 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Vienna, Virginia
“Cozy, a bit pricey, but with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

A delicious cup of soup was delivered to my table to keep me happy while my order was prepared. I proceeded to a mixed grill containing eggplant and peppers--very good. It came with very white, uninteresting bread, baked from over-processed flour. My main course was a juicy lamb stew, served on a large white plate with brown rice and beans--highly recommended. A small side salad was a good complement. The mousse de maracuya was a perfect finish.

Don't be confused by the two prices shown for every dish; it is simply with or without tax.

The ambiance is cozy, with colorful lamps that reminded me of a trip to Turkey some years back. Music videos are played with subdued sound for your entertainment. Unfortunately, the stained glass windows are plain panels, and project a cheap look in an otherwise nice environment.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

sanjose
“Patetic food and service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was with my friends to try the food in this place.the food cold..old..pita also old..nothing to do with the real turkish food..and the prices!!!!!waw!!!i almost cry for my money..i paid as if i was eating in a 3 star micheln restaurant!!!i wonder myself if are people who come back in this place..me..NEVER come back

“Excellent food, great ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This restaurant is in what seems to be a nice area and Calle 33 has lots of other interesting restaurants, cafes and bars. We walked over from our hotel (Aranjuez) one evening. The food we had was excellent, decor and ambience is super, service is superb. We had an appetizer that was a selection of spreads with bread - very good, and I had a lamb dish that was wonderful. One of the owners was there and made us some authentic Turkish coffee to finish off our dinner - wonderful! We'll definitely go back next time we're in San Jose.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Delicious and informative!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Aya Sofia is a great option for Turkish/ Lebanese food in San José.
It is a small space in San Pedro, with a bit of a walk included you could get there by bus (take any of the buses along the main street of San Pedro, get off near the Bagleman´s and walk straight up about 4 blocks), otherwise any taxi should be able to get you there.
The owners are specialists in Ottoman cuisine and some weekend nights they host special dinners with a set menu showcasing certain classical dishes. We tried a lamb dish that was so mind-blowingly good I willed myself to make leftovers last for 3 days.
It is a bit pricey, but very high quality.

Visited December 2012
Orlando, Florida
“A taste of Turkey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My Turkish colleague and I invited some local San Jose folks here for a taste of Turkish food and culture. We were very pleased (and full!) by the hospitality of owners Mehmet Bey and Hasan Bey, the wonderful food with authentic Turkish flavor, and an extra treat of Mehmet bringing out his saz to play and sing a few songs at the table. Our San Jose friends loved it, and made them even more desirous to visit Turkey!

Visited November 2012