“Casa Alfi is fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Alfi

You added Casa Alfi to your Saves list
Casa Alfi
459 Calle 3, Entre Av 4 y 6, 200 sur de Theatro Ntional | Frente de Colegio Senoritas, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 55 San Jose B&B and Inns
reneeaandrews
“Casa Alfi is fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

Casa Alfie was a great place to stay. Clean rooms and simple rooms in a secure place blocks from El Teatro Nacional. Alfie himself is very friendly, accommodating and a pleasure to be around. HIs staff is courteous and beyond helpful, especially in regard to booking a car and navigating the city. Breakfast was provided and dietary needs met without hesitations.

Upon a return to trip to San Jose to catch a flight, Alfie allowed me to leave my bags behind the counter for safe keeping rather than force me to lug them through the city.

• Liked — the staff were more than helpful and accommodating during and after my stay
  • Disliked — internet connection was very slow.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Puerto Viejo, Limon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

How do I begin to describe this wonderful experience I am having. I leave tomorrow and even though I am eager to get back to my family on the Caribbean coast, the experience at Casa Alfi has created a home away from home that I am loathe to leave so soon. First the accomodations...beautiful antiques, wonderful paintings (some painted by Alfi, a great artist and beautiful poet) handmade tables and chairs in the dining room, beautiful dark stained wood bar (Alfi makes great martinis!) a comfy sitting area and my room...straight out of a Hemingway novel with anitiques, closets with glass doors, beautiful little wooden desk, hardwood floors and wainscoting on both walls and ceilings. Casa Alfi provides a free Tico breakfast, internet, television, phone everything you need at cheap, cheap rates. It is very clean and on a quiet walking street, two blocks from Central Avenida (main thouroughway and everything from National Theatre to wonderful restaurants, and great shopping nearby) Alfi, the owner, is definately a Renaissance man. He is a talented artist and poet, born and raised in Kenya and has traveled all over. I have had wonderful converations with him and have made a true friend in the process. He is a genuine gentleman with charm and intelligience to boot. Alfi and his staff are first rate and I will only come here from now on when I stay in San Jose. Did I mention what a wonderful chef Alfi is? Upon request he will make dinner for you. I had superb egg drop soup, thai curry vegetables, limes and banans and ice cream for dessert. I would recommend Casa Alfi to anyone including families. It is safe, convenient to downtown and you have the bonus of great conversation. Alfi, thank you so much for a wonderful stay and I look forward to my next visit...

peace and happiness to you Alfi,

Jennifer

• Liked — Innkeeper Alfi , his martinis and our wonderful conversations
  • Disliked — There was absolutely nothing to dislike
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Holdrege, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

While all our accommodations, in seven establishments (including the Holiday Inn - San Jose), and at various locations is Costa Rica helped make our “trip” inimitably GREAT and UNFORGETTABLE; it was our rather random weeks staying at the “Casa AlfI Hotel” which fashioned “it” into a “vacation”…that was not only fruitful, but affordable, and COMPLETELY FANTASTIC! I needed dental work and chose, from may countries, and for many reasons, including “cost” C.R.; but our second day stay with Alfie transformed my planned trip…when from among his urged suggestions we decided to try a dawn to dust, four stop, tour ($50.00)! Well to make long, extended, many adventures, story short (haw haw), it was always “Casa AlfI” where we returned. The “rates”, which are low (some rooms under $30.00), the personal attention, the real concern and help (by Alfie and English speaking staff), and the many “extra’s put, this real boutique hotel,
at first place from those I’ve stayed at, not only in C.R., but other different world locations!!! EXTRA’S: Located on a quiet street (NO vehicle traffic, across the street is a girls school), only two blocks from the main center of the city (National Theater, Grand Hotel, & Gold Museum), and it’s completely safe (two locked doors, strong boxes in rooms, but we never even considered using them)! Free, WiFi, and internet computer! Easy to use phone (in each room), for quick, crystal clear, calls to U.S., and ONLY ten cents per min.! The interior of the hotel is beautiful, as are the clean rooms…include T.V. (many English channels), long, risk free, hot showers! Maid services, including inexpensive laundry! The free breakfasts (some prepared by Alfie, who is not only a GREAT chief, but a superb painter-artists, with many stories…have to draw him into conversation…not a boastful man), are delightful with variety! Further the owner of “Hotel AlfI”, Alfred Richardson, was instrumental in helping me acquire, without question the most reasonably priced, and absolutely the best dentist that’s every worked on my teeth, (Dra. Carla Cardenas Sanchez, Phone: 227-5430, 8-836-7640, E-mail: carlavcs@hotmail.com); and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HER, should you need any type of dental work! Well our “dental trip” turned into our two BEST months, EVER…so I suggest you email for a reservation early, because this new (one year since opening), hotel will soon “be discovered”. Web: www.casaalfihotel.com E-mail: casaalfihotel@yahoo.com Phone: 506-2233-1805 / 506-2221-2102 Fax: 506-2255-0317 Location: Calle 3, entre Av. 4 y 6, Casa #459
LaMont Clay

• Liked — Personal Service...help, advice, suggestion. Clean, safe, inexpensive, food, get location
  • Disliked — Everything here was just super!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

My friend & I had never been to Costa Rica before. We stayed in 2 other hotels prior & didn't have what we were expecting as Casa Alfi did. We stumbled across this place on a map listing places to stay. The location is quiet since it's across a private school. The rooms were much larger (double the size) than what we had stayed in in the other hotels; we had our own ceiling fans above our own beds; HOT water was available; t.v. w/remote; the beds were orthopedic beds (extremely comfortable!)... Sr Alfie even built the bed frames himself! He was very kind in watching over two female travelers who were wandering around the city by ourselves & helped us plan our day trips. He made sure we had breakfast before we left for our early tours. We ended up staying there for 3 nights rather than hopping around to different locations as we had planned. This bed & breakfast has everything you need for your stay in Costa Rica. We would definitely recommend it to others & return again if we return to San Jose.

• Liked — Had everything we were were looking for (hot showers, comfortable bed, working appliances) & the price was well worth it!
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
Playa Chiquita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

So I am coming to San Jose to deal with Pensionada - read, Immigracion - not a fun idea. I had stayed at the Clarion and was well pleased... stayed at the Gran Hotel CR and loved the ambience and thewrap of history. But I longed for something less expensive, but more importantly, with a sense of character and an ease of informality. My mate, the celebrated author, Jennifer Lynne Ziemann pulled the Tico Times review of Casa Alfi and said, "why not try this." So being a wise male mate, I did. (Like being asked, "do you think I've gained weight," the smart male response is, "are you kidding? Of course not, you could wear the same bikini bottom you wore at the Chateau Marmont before we went in nude with John Cassevettes, John Barrymore and Tuesday Weld after leaving Ports."

Well, the experience was every bit as good as the Chateau though neither Jennifer or Tuesday was there.. .and I in bachelor mode immensely enjoyed the time with Alfi spent both in the hotel and at the casino in the imfamous Del Rey ... no touch...no eat rules applied.

My suite was the perfect Hemingwayesque accomodation; the breakfast was spare as it ought to be and the service was exactly as advertised: "I was taken care of..." no frills, no BS, nothing but a grand inn keeper's provision. Gracias, Alfi... be there soon...again.

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — Location at night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

What a find! I was in Costa Rica for 10 days (May 9-May19) and stayed at 5 different hotels during my trip. I stumbled across Casa Alfi through a local that had given me some good information earlier in my trip. The hotel has about 8 or 9 rooms that range in size from petite to moderate. I chose a corner room with a view of the pedistrian only calle. As you walk in, the place has a really personal touch. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Originally, I planned to stay one night, but ended up finishing my trip here regardless of another reservation I had already made elsewhere. The key to my infatuation with the place was the unusual low price ($32) for the comfort, cleanliness, service, and location you would find in a high-end Bed and Breakfast. The only draw back to the place was the A/C situation. It was not a major issue because the ceiling fans mixed with the breeze from multiple windows throughout the hotel and kept the room comfortable during the day and perfect at night. Overall, a great deal and worth double what you'll pay for it.

• Liked — Location, value, and style
  • Disliked — No A/C
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Casa Alfi? Share your experiences!