“My 5th time in CASA ALFIL” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Alfi

Save Saved
You added Casa Alfi to your Saves list
Casa Alfi
459 Calle 3, Entre Av 4 y 6, 200 sur de Theatro Ntional | Frente de Colegio Senoritas, San Jose, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #11 of 54 San Jose B&B and Inns
Miami Beach, Florida
“My 5th time in CASA ALFIL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Mr.Alfil improved more...This time if U are not a guest he offers breakfast for a little price and also he stars cooking lunch with a menu and everything..If U R a guest your Breakfast is Free
If U like a room he will save it just for U
My Fifth time in CASA ALFIL and kept counting

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Leesport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Visited Casa Alfie with 8 other friends and rented his entire hotel for 7 nights. This is the 5th year and each time gets better and better. I recommend this venue especially for all visitors and such a great time when a group of friends/family rent his entire hotel. The staff aims to please and are attentive to all your requests. Tours are readily available and arranged right from the hotel. Can't say enough for the location and Alfie will cook any meal to order at your request. Alfie is the consummate quirky owner that will entertain you with stories and experiences and I mean that in a good way. I urge you to give the hotel a try and you won't be disappointed but remember you are in Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Casa Alfi feels like coming home, or satying with friends. No cold hotel atmosphere here, you are welcomed by owner Alfi and if you're lucky he will share one or more of his interesting stories with you. There are only 9 rooms, which makes it a friendly and warm little hotel.
The rooms are spatious and clean and a Costa Rican breakfast is included.

The hotel itself is located in the heart of San José, in the middle of all the shops and in a safe neighbourhood. We will definiately go back here if we're in San José!

Room Tip: room 2 and 3 are supposed to be the best
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Our friends booked rooms for us here since we only needed to stay in San Jose for 5 hours before our flight out in the early morning. It's difficult to find (took us 40 minutes up and down one way streets) if you have a car because it's on a one way street and on the pedestrian only part of that street. So if you have a car I simply can't recommend it because there is no place to park and you will have to pay for a public parking garage 3-6 blocks away.

I'm writing this review primarily because their description is a 'new, boutique hotel' and I feel an obligation to paint a more realistic picture for those who rely on Tripadvisor as I do.

Once you do find it, there was no sign indicating a bell to push so we just knocked on the metal gate and smiled and a woman inside looked at us like we were crazy. I said in Spanish that we had a reservation, she still looked confused. Upon entering it was very dark inside and she went into a small room to get a guy to help us. He came out of what looks like his bedroom and office, and he looked drunk or as if he had just woken up. He didn't greet us or say anything, he seemed confused. I thought maybe we were in the wrong place? Maybe he didn't speak English? No, he says briefly in plain english he was expecting us. Very odd interaction. He had us write our passport numbers in an old ledger (probably has 4,000 passport #'s, names and signatures!) and then later that night I see the book is still wide open on the edge of the counter for anyone to read. I was compelled to close it and put it behind the counter. Not good in terms of privacy, safety.
Later he seemed a little more talkative and actually tried hard to arrange a taxi for us for the early morning, which we were all very appreciative of and thanked him for. He woke up early to make sure the taxis came which I thought was a very nice gesture.
The guy means well I think, but I have to say I can't recommend this place. The rooms are fine in size, but very run down. My wife didn't even want to shower there. And our room was very loud on the street side. This place is probably perfect for young backpackers in their 20's or people on a shoe-string budget who only want to pay $25-40 a night and don't mind scrounging a little - if that's you then you really can't beat the location and price of this place. Otherwise if you need to start or end your vacation in San Jose and want it to be on an even remotely romantic note, I would choose elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Love this place.I usually stay here on my way back from my vacation,,,This time I expend 1 week in Manuel Antonio but return to San Jose always the night before I catch the flight back to the states!!!Mr.Alfil always happy to see me..Give me discount and separate the best room for me...New staff but always helpful....3 blocks from teatro nacional,blocks away from Mercado Central and the most important blocks away from DEL REY....Now Mr.Alfil Not only gave U breakfast but he got Lunch available too...No free but at a good price!!!...He will give U key to the main door and U r back and for without having to bother front desk personal....Mr.Alfil see U in my next costa rica vacation

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Colegio de Senoritas..Girls chatting in the street are pretty annoying
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
las vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

This was a one night stop for us since we arrived in Costa Rica somewhat late. We were on our way to la fortuna and needed a place to stay for the night, so after reading some decent reviews via tripadvisor and recommendation from our lonely planet guide, we opted for casa alfi for the night. Lets make this quick.

CONS:- Loud. Loud. Loud Street noise. But hey you're in San Jose. Go figure. It is right across from a school, caddy corner to a building being constructed/destroyed, and is on a pedestrian walking highway road. So not too nice if you want to sleep past 7am.
- No hot water or a/c. Maybe there was hot water, but not in our room. Not cool but what can you do eh? Also, wifi was out so we had to walk to McDonald's (also another bummer)
-Our front desk operator was so ****ing drunk ("tired" wink wink) when he checked us in, I'm surprised he was able to speak. Not that I'm mad or offended. I love drunk people on average. He was somewhat nice, but come on dude really?

PROS: Central location in San Jose
-Delicious breakfast. I was happy.
-Even though front desk dude may drink from time to time. He smiles big. Kinda cuddly looking.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Windsor Col
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Alfi is a wonderful host with a big heart, He will cook you dinner for less than what you would pay outside the hotel, great location. I highly recommend staying at Casa Alfi's. My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Alfi's for 3 nights, and took the public buses to and from Manuel Antonio (Great price nice seats for the bus). We woke up to great coffee and a nice Costa Rican Breakfast. The Location is hard to beat, the only downside is not swimming pool or workout place, but that was not a problem for us. The rooms are spacious, and have a great atmosphere. Great Price, Great people, fun place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Alfi? Share your experiences!