“Amazing Adventure!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 67 Activities in San Jose
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Rios Tropicales is an eco-adventure company that operates throughout Costa Rica. We offer adventure activities that take advantage of Costa Rica’s unique variety of environments: whitewater rafting, multisport activities that feature kayaking,canoeing, hiking, and cycling, family adventures, cultural encounters, nature and wildlife tours, and “volun-tourism”. Our mission, to share the rivers, natural resources and culture of Costa Rica while sharing conservation values, has not changed since we began in 1985. Rios Tropicales was established by native Central Americans, El Salvadorian Rafael Gallo and Costa Rican Fernando Esquivel, whose deep connection with the region and culture are apparent in every aspect of the company.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Truckee, California
“Amazing Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled to Costa Rica through a company called G-Adventures. We were on a 2 week trip with a group of 14 other travelers from all over the world. The 3-day overnight white water rafting trip on the Pacure River was the first thing we did and highlight of our trip!

It started with early morning transportation from San Jose and breakfast upon arrival at base camp. There we met our guides and loaded the rafts. Johnny, Louis, and Ricardo were fabulous the entire time! They showed us and shared information about their country with us as well as safely and successfully navigating us through Class I-IV rapids. We couldn't have asked for better!

Half-way down the river on the first day we stopped for lunch. Our guides, Johnny, Louis, and Ricardo whipped it up in no time and it was great by any standards, but even more impressive on the side of a river bank in a remote area! We made a few more stops along our way to visit waterfalls or take a swim. It was nice to be able to raft at this pace, not being rushed through by guides that just want to get the trip done.

The first afternoon we arrived at the Rios Tropicales on the banks of the Pacure River. The lodge was absolutely gorgeous! It was so remote and serene and turned out to be the nicest accommodation of our entire 2-week trip! Again, Johnny, Louis, and Ricardo prepared our meals there. The food was excellent the entire time.

On day 2 Johnny, Louis, and Ricardo took us on a short hike to a waterfall and swimming hole. They gave us 2 options: the boring way - to walk around the waterfall, or the fun way - to walk up the waterfall. It was like natural canyoneering, for free! I had never done anything like this before in my life and was quite timid and hesitant. Johnny, Louis, and Ricardo gave you just enough encouragement to overcome your fears and assistance to make it fun for everyone! They helped to push each individual person in our group just a little bit out of our own comfort zone to accomplish the task - it was a blast!

On day 3 we rafted the final leg of the river through the largest rapids. A safety kayak and photographer came with us on the journey. We still had time to stop and enjoy the view as well as jump off cliffs into rapids and enjoy the views. Photos were made available to us at the end for a very reasonable price.

Overall the trip was one of the best experiences of my life! I would highly recommend it to anyone! Thanks Johnny, Louis, and Ricardo for an amazing adventure!

Visited October 2013
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Allie A, We really appreciate coming on one of our Multiday Pacuare trips through one of our preferred clients, G Adventures, plus taking your time to write about your overall experience. I will share your story and specially let Johnny, Luis, Ricardo and rest of the team about it.

VP

Santa Monica, California
4 attraction reviews
“Epic river rafting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our trip. The actual river rafting experience was epic, and lasted about 3 hours. The guides were great, and the scenery is breathtaking. You will get very wet, so only bring water proof equipment. I almost brought my Nikon camera, but thankfully, decided against it. The only downside to this trip is the long 2+ hour drive there, and 2+ hour back. Also, once you get to their rafting headquarters, you still have another 30 minute bus ride to the top of a mountain, and then a very precarious 30 minute tractor drive down a dirt road to the river landing point. But totally worth it.

Visited October 2013
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear aarentow, Thanks for joining on of our river trips into the Pacuare river and taking your time to write about it.

Fernando Esquivel.
Irvine, California
3 attraction reviews
“Created a monster!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have never been white water rafting before but was fortunate enough to raft the Pacuare River in September. There were Class I to Class IV rapids .... I am hooked! Definitely one of the highlights of our trip. They picked us up, fed us breakfast and lunch .... an awesome day! Our guide Ray was incredibly knowledgeable, friendly AND funny! I hear he is a guide in the states in the off season ... would like to find him and raft more! :)

Visited September 2013
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Beth C, thanks for joining our paddling trip and writing your review. I can proudly speak for all my team that we take full responsibility on our creation!

Happy Paddling,

London, United Kingdom
“Can't recommend these guys enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I spent this weekend on an overnight rafting experience with Rios Tropicales and had a brilliant time. I have been working in Costa Rica and had a few free days so treated myself to the trip. Everyone was really friendly and the guides were incredibly knowledgeable. The lodge for the overnight stay was stunning and every meal that was provided (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and dinner) was brilliant. There was a 4-cable zipline tour included in the morning at the lodge which was great fun as well. The guys were professional, incredibly accommodating and I cannot fault them!

Visited September 2013
RiosTropicales, Owner at Rios Tropicales, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear CharlieD88, Many thanks indeed for writing about your Overnight river trip on the Pacuare river with us. Our staff will be pleased and thankful when they receive your comments.

Sterling, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
“Great rafting experiences, awesome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We took the 1-day rafting tour on River Pacuare, which covers 18 miles and 37 rapids including several level-3 and level-4 rapids.

The rafting itself was absolutely amazing: lots of fun rapids and beautiful scenery. Hands down the best rafting experience I ever had!

Our guide Ray was awesome. He was friendly, fun yet very professional and experienced. He's also a naturalist so he shared lots of knowledge with us such as how to find sloths!

The facility was nice, spacious and clean. The food was great as well.

We are already thinking about going back and take the multi-day rafting trip with them!

Visited September 2013
Dear Nan C, Thanks for confirming that we are still on our path, offering extraordinary service and experiences to our clients. I will forward your comments to our river guides and rest of the staff.