“Horibile” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Taj Mahal

Restaurante Taj Mahal
1 km Oeste del Centro Comercial Paco calle vieja hacia Santa Ana, San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica, Escazu, Costa Rica
+506 2228 0980
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 104 Restaurants in Escazu
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Vegetarian, Vegan
Good for: Doing business, Large groups, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Costa Rica's Original Indian Restaurant. Established in 2002 serving Authentic North Indian Cuisine with such specialties as lamb, tandoori, vegetarian, chicken, seafood, an extensive list of curries, biryanis, and fresh naan. We also can recommend vegan and gluten free selections. We are a full scale restaurant with a wine list and bar service for our clients. We have a private room and outdoor terrace in our garden. WIFI, Delivery, and Catering Service available. Certified by the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) as a 5 star establishment. We also now have a children's playground in our garden area.
sanjose
“Horibile”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Nothing to do with indian food..i asked a chiken masala and i recived trocidos of chicken in beschamel with cury..and the price..waw..45 dolares for this trash..no thank you..never come back

tandoor2002, Owner at Restaurante Taj Mahal, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Danilo,
You obviously know nothing about Indian cuisine. You are more then welcome to come by and I myself will be more than happy to give you some classes that may help your ignorance.
Sincerely, D. Mander

Estimado Danilo,
Es obvio que usted no sabe nada sobre la cocina hindu. Con mucho gusto puede llegar y yo mismo seria feliz para dar usted unos cursos que tal vez puede ayudar su ignorancia.
Atentamente, D.Mander.

San Jose, Costa Rica
“The gem of Central America & Caribbean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have been visiting this great restaurant on a weekly basis since arriving in Costa Rica for work. I must say, I had been having the same meal every time as it was just so delicious, Lamb Vindaloo, Garlic Naan, starting with their Mushrooms. Last night, the head waiter, suggested another main course a Chicken Tikka Masala, vindaloo level of heat, and I cannot express the sensation of flavours in the dish, from the licorice in the distance to the sharpness of the sauce. Unbelievable does not give this meal justice.

Coming from Glasgow in the UK, we had very good places like the Koh I Noor or Balbirs, or Mr Singh's Kitchen, but none can hold a candle to this place. The ambiance reminds me of another famous curry house, Coconut Grove in Dubai, which was frequented by many Indian nationals, but again, I think this Escazu establishment has the edge. Well done Sir, I hope to continue my visits for a long time to come.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
tandoor2002, Owner at Restaurante Taj Mahal, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Mr. Frank M,

First of all I would like to extend my employees and personal gratitude to your comments about our restaurant. Funny, I was born in Glasgow but moved from there with my parents to Canada at a young age and have been here in Costa Rica for 14 years, establishing the restaurant 11 years ago. It is pleasing to know that there are still people like yourself who live to eat, and not eat to live. Once again thank you for your kind and genuine words that bring happiness and encouragement to my heart.

David Mander, Owner Restaurante Taj Mahal
Miami, Florida, United States
“Good but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The food was good and the staff attentive. I was also happily surprised that the chef was Indian so the flavors are authentic. The price however was too much we had entrees which cost about $15 and then they told us that we needed to order rice to mix with the food. We though that the plate of plain white rice that you get for free anywhere in the US or Europe was going to be free here being that we are in a developing country, however we were charged about $8 for plain rice. We also paid about $20 for 4 lemonades that were freshly made and delicious. At the end we though that the food was good but the greed of the owner overcharging every item tainted what could have been a completely good experience. My wife and I spent about $90, of which $30 was on plain white rice and lemonade :)

tandoor2002, Owner at Restaurante Taj Mahal, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Hello first I would like to thank you for your comments but I would also like to clarify some points. Number 1, I am not a greedy owner, I had the insight and perseverance to open the first Indian Restaurant in this country 11 years ago. When one goes to a restaurant one pays for the quality of the food, the service, the ambience, and the experience. You state that you enjoyed the food. By the way you are quoting our prices which include by law here a 10% service charge which is paid to the wait staff and a 13% sales tax which is paid to the government (for a total of 23%). I agree that Costa Rica is an expensive country, unfortunately many people will always compare the prices to where one lives and where such supplies are readily available. I have to import Basmati Rice, its not just plain rice as you state. I could use Costa Rican Rice but would it be authentic? The taste and texture is obviously nothing alike. I also have to import many of the spices and ingredients for the preparation of the plates. All these importations are subject to heavy duties. Most restaurants in the US or Europe will not give you free basmati rice, for which I have to pay 100% duty and transportation costs. Some other food for thought, I spend $400 a month on charcoal to give the tandoor an authentic flavour, I spend $1200 a month on electricity, I pay $ 2000 a month in social security for my 11 employees, not to mention their salaries. In order to maintain authenticity I have 2 chefs from India and I too have Indian roots. I spend $400 a month on cashew nuts just to elaborate some of our curries and garnishes. The list goes on and on, on top of this there is rent of the place, municipal taxes, liquor license, maintenance, water, and then food from our suppliers etc etc. So please instead of calling me greedy, please open your eyes to the situation. In one month I am open 26 days to make revenue to pay all these expenses and more. Actually my prices are in line with many of the good restaurants here, and my portions are quite generous. But do Italian restaurants, Steak houses, typical places, sports bars, have to use the elaborate ingredients that I have to? I just wanted to open your eyes to the reality that obviously would didn't realise before your offensive comments.
Seattle, Washington
“taj mahal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

good indian food and very pretty inside. bar was a bit lacking. nothing really else to say then friendly and like that they have togo

Visited December 2013
San Jose, Costa Rica
“One of the best restaurants in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Service was great! The waiters were not only helpful with meal suggestions, but they also went above and beyond, suggesting things to add and catering to our requests without any hidden fees or without even really having to.

The servings were quite generous and very well made. With the price of food around this city, it was a pleasant surprise to get the quality and quantity we had. It's not cheap but it is also not expensive. This is probably one of the few restaurants that I would dare to say actually charge for the value of the food at the very minimum - if they charged more, I would still pay given the limited choices that go with quality and quantity in this city.

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Costa Rica.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
tandoor2002, Owner at Restaurante Taj Mahal, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Asia N, I would like to personally thank you for your review of our restaurant. It is nice to see that you appreciate the time and effort that we put into the preparation of our dishes and the selection of our friendly and attentive wait staff. Thanks again.