“Not my favorite Indian Restaurant Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurante Taj Mahal

Restaurante Taj Mahal
1 km Oeste del Centro Comercial Paco calle vieja hacia Santa Ana, San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica, Escazu, Costa Rica
+506 2228 0980
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 98 Restaurants in Escazu
Cuisines: Indian, Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Costa Rica's Original Indian Restaurant. Established in 2002 serving Authentic North Indian Cuisine with such specialties as lamb, tandoori, vegetarian, chicken, seafood, an extensive list of curries, biryanis, and fresh naan. We also can recommend vegan and gluten free selections. We are a full scale restaurant with a wine list and bar service for our clients. We have a private room and outdoor terrace in our garden. WIFI, Delivery, and Catering Service available. Certified by the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) as a 5 star establishment.
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Not my favorite Indian Restaurant Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was a little disappointed with the staff. I felt they were a little jaded with their job. Also, as a lover of Indian food I was hoping for a more authentic menu.

86% Recommend
Dulles, Virginia
“Nice ambience and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We came here after a long day of rafting and chocolate tour. Decor was very authentic and Indian. We are vegetarian and love spicy indian food. We were not dissapointed. I am always wary of indian food in foreign counties but this was impressive. We live in near DC which has over 50 indian restaurants and this one ranks up there. Make sure and ask for onions and spicy Serrano peppers on the side. We ordered the Mushroom Matar, potatoes dish and cheese and lentil dishes. The Naan bread was crispy and hot. Enjoy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Just OK.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The restaurant is cozy and the decor is nice, but if you love the spiciness of Indian food, you may be disappointed, both by the quantity of food served, and by the level of spice. It seems that the spiciness of the food has been greatly tempered (read that as "reduced") to accommodate the decilate Tico palate (Costa Ricans don't really like spicy food, and their palates really aren't trained to be comfortable with spiciness. Our meals here have been OK to disappointing because we expect Indian food to be spicy, aromatic, plentiful and delicious. If you don't like food that is highly spiced, you may enjoy a meal here. The service is consistently good.

Visited January 2013
Ojochal, Costa Rica
“Great Indian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I LOVE Indian food. This place has great atmosphere and the food is really good. The service was quick and efficient (almost to a negative, if you know what I mean). The food was tasty. I love the fact when I asked for some heat on a dish, they delivered. Good for you. When I want Indian food, this will be my choice in San Jose.

Visited January 2013
Tilaran, Costa Rica
“love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The best Hindu food in CR... very comfy, and great service.
a little over the budget though. I've tried different indian restaurants and this is the best one, very neat, and clean
I recommend the tendori chicken and the fruit punch.

Visited November 2012