“My home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Out of Bounds Hotel

You added Out of Bounds Hotel to your Saves list
Out of Bounds Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 km West of Commercial Paco, Old Road to Santa Ana | In front of Restaurant Taj Mahal, Escazu, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$69 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Escazu
“My home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Only nicer! The hotel is so close to many shopping centers, restaurants, area attractions, both Escazu and Santa Ana, and the main roads. And yet, you'd never know once you step behind the gate: it is so tranquil and has the most outstanding views. Also outstanding was the service. Matteo and Meranda were absolutely great; they were super helpful with transportation, suggesting things to do and see, where to go for anything we needed, how to get there, making our plans and reservations, etc....Our room was gorgeous: ultra comfortable bed, lovely decor, beautiful balcony and terrace, great bathroom with a beautiful sink, and again, the views - breathtaking! I did not want to leave and can't wait to return to this piece of paradise.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Big Hug from the OOB Family even Candy!
Thank you for you kinds words, they sure help us to keep on moving forward with a bigger smile on our Faces.
Hope you come back soon!

Muchas Gracias!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Jose, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I am a resident and come often to san José for personal reasons, which gives me the opportunity to visit several places. Out of Bounds is a gem for its beauty, the nice view (quite windy terrace), the lovely details of the bedrooms, the comfortable beds. Yet, wireless internet is poor and
Tv images very disturbed. Breakfast is the bigger issue. Only two choices, eithet gallo pinto (rice and beans with egg) or smoothy. If you don't feel like eating fried food you will have to starve...no toasted bread allowed! Very unpleasant service at the table, as well.
A good option if other places are fully booked.

Stayed April 2014
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
We thank everyone that takes from their own time to write something for us weather is good or bad it is always a way to help us improve in our service.
Regarding the TV signal it must of been the cable company making a repair in any case we apologize for the inconvenience that might of caused.
We do not offer Toast as part of our Complementary Menu and our Gallo Pinto is not fried, we use butter to cook our eggs to make them as neatly as possible. Your other option is the yummy Fresh Fruit Smoothie.
Hope you have a great Day! Give us another try!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I Can't say enough good things about Out of Bounds. First the hotel...beds are super comfortable, breakfast was great and rooms are all clean and large with great views of San Jose and volcanoes from the upper floor. Matteo and Miranda were very helpful with suggestions and bookings for parts of our trip and helped arrange a vehicle for us after ours failed to materialize at the airport. We spent three nights at the beginning, middle and end of our trip and it was a great base to pick up friends from the airport and to explore San Jose. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have a great deck and views of the city and volcanoes in the distance.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I live at the beach in Guanacaste and usually go to Escazu for shopping once a month. I first tried Out of Bounds about 4 months ago and since then it has become my home away from home, while in Escazu. The hotel is central for everything in the area and yet very quiet at night time. The hotel has an amazing view of the city. The owners are very personable, friendly and accommodating to special requests. Prices are great...... definitely recommend Out of Bounds Hotel while visiting Escazu area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
San Juanillo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

hi everyone, i can warmly and highly recommend this hotel! after 14 years in costa rica i know that this is the best place in san jose! matteo and meranda are so friendly and helpful people, the rooms are a hit, clean & elegant, one doesn't wanna get out of bed in the morning because they are so comfy, and every time coming to out of bounds is like coming home.
raaji dessena

Room Tip: all rooms are great, the upper rooms have better view over san jose and the mountains...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I've never written a review on TripAdvisor before but my stay at Out of Bounds inspired me to take the time to credit Meranda and Matteo on fabulous accommodations and make sure others know of it. For starters, the place was spotlessly clean which was awesome and it just generally felt well-built and comfortable. The beds and linens were great and I slept fantastically well there. In addition to the excellent accommodations, Meranda and Matteo were perfect hosts, I stayed for two days at the end of January while I was waiting for my travelling companion to arrive and was working for those two days. Matteo was super-attentive in making sure the internet was working for me including resetting the routers that broadcast the signal on the upstairs level and ensuring they were functioning. It made it so that I could join conference calls via wi-fi and I was also able to use their courtesy phone to call in a few times free of charge so I had seamless work days. Meranda was very personable and helpful in providing directions to find a place for dinner, get to the gym (and pointed me to a free online pass), where to go to buy a phone as well as connections regarding dentistry and real estate in Costa. They accommodated my late arrival close to midnight on check-in and were very flexible on allowing me to stay on the property after checking out to continue working while I waited for my friend to arrive. All of this for a price that was affordable and excellent value for dollar. As hosts, they were perfectly accommodating without being overbearing and they have a fabulous, clean, comfortable boutique hotel. I will definitely stay here again if I need to overnight in San Jose and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Two queen beds and a single bed with lots of space on top floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

oh wow... mateo+wife were great! very hospitable and accommodating. from the free phone calls back to the states to the gallo pinto every morning for breakfast, it was an awesome stay.

we were there for new years and the city view from the terrace was simply amazing. can see fireworks going off almost with an almost 180degree view throughout the vast landscape of sanjose/costa rica.

even after we checked out, a friend was flying in and mateo+wife went out of their way to be the contact for her should we were unable to connect.

great people + great place = great stay =)

thanks guys

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Out of Bounds Hotel? Share your experiences!