“out of bounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Out of Bounds Hotel

You added Out of Bounds Hotel to your Saves list
Out of Bounds Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 km West of Commercial Paco, Old Road to Santa Ana | In front of Restaurant Taj Mahal, Escazu, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$69 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Escazu
Seattle, Washington
“out of bounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

ha ha i have stayed here several times and always have enjoyed myself from the excellent service and genuinely nice people. They really do try to make my stay comfortable and mateyo and miranda if i remember there names correctly are great and helpful in all areas from going shopping to zip lining easy aces for touristy things. ps it says i just stayed there december and in fact i have stayed two and four years ago.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

what ever your vacation needs, requirements or plans in Costa Rica Out of Bounds is just the right choice.
if your needing the dentist, 3mins walk to Dentavac, if you need to do some shopping, cinema, etc….5mins away, if you would like just enjoy the city, or if your starting or ending your costa rica adventure and need a safe place just until you get to the airport or ask Miranda or Matteo to organize a day tour for you, volcanos, beaches, hikes, waterfalls are all right there for you to enjoy!

its just the best place in there central valley to experience everything you want, great service, safe, easy and the best thing is that these love to help, serve and make your vacation/experience one never to forget. this is why i and others keep going back time after time!

Room Tip: room 2 has a kitchen to save a few $$ and make some basic meals, keep an eye on the huge tree right...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just back from my second stay at Out of Bounds in Costa Rica. I really love this boutique hotel, the owners are on site and are so friendly and helpful. The nightime view of the valley from the balconies (and the second floor especially) are just stunning. The breakfasts are still fantastic....simple but oh so tasty. The interior walls of the rooms are pretty thick (never heard our neighbors), the beds are super comfy and the shower water temp was always nice and hot and the pressure was very good. My husband and I got the Superior Room with the kitchenette for this stay, and we were really happy that Meranda upgraded us to this room, as it perfectly met our needs for our 1 week stay. We loved the little kitchenette, allowed us to save money on food since we could buy what we needed and cook small meals in the evenings. This is a super secure little boutique hotel, very safe and very charming...art on the walls, unique sinks in the bathrooms, nice rockers on the porches to sit and enjoy the day away. Highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Second stay in a month and was very pleased both times. I had dental work done at DentalVac which is a 3 minute walk from the hotel. This young couple knows all about hospitality. The place is quaint but more than adequate for a great stay. You are walking distance from grocery, dining, and other stores and the view from the rooms are amazing. Everything is impeccable and I cant imagine staying anywhere else if you are in the area. My favorite was the free calls back to the states, when you have a mother, daughter, god son, husband, and a business to keep up with, this amenity was priceless.

Room Tip: first time I stayed I opted for the larger room with the kitchenette. I really liked it if you are s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My family and I stayed at Out of Bounds in August and the couple owners, Mateo and Miranda were soooo accommodating. They were always helpful, easy-going and friendly. I loved the fact that they had a magic jack phone available to easily call back to US. That is such a simple but especially useful amenity. The room was clean and the hotel is in a great part of the city. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper level to enjoy the views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

So this is my second review about this wonderful place, because I always come back here and am always so grateful that I did. Mateo, Meranda and Merissa are seriously some of the most amazing people I've ever met. So welcoming and helpful above and beyond what I ever expected... I have a place in my heart for this family now as I've continued a friendship with them. I just had a friend that lives in my town come up to me yesterday to tell me how grateful she is that I recommended Out Of Bounds to her. She just loves coming there also! I can't tell you how many people I've recommended this place to and they're always extremely pleased, and usually end up going back for more. The location is perfect, the rooms are SUPER clean, the beds are soooo comfortable and the service is impeccable. Seriously feels like your right at home. Not to mention the delicious breakfast you get in the AM.. Tico style deliciousness... If you haven't tried this place, I highly recommend it. You won't regret it.. You probably will end up doing what I did and tell all your friends about it too! Thanks Mateo and Meranda!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are equally as great!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Berkeley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place is OK.
The couple that owns it is canadian and costa rican-italian
The canadian woman said that It would be no problem to have a late breakfast past the 1030am cut off hour. The next morning I inquired around 1045, but the husband denied me food. He said that it was too late. I did not give up, and he offered me coffee. I don't drink coffee. I basically had to beg to make a bowl of frosted flakes cereal materialize. This was disappointing.

I had asked 24 hours earlier if I could use a computer (in 24 hours) "for 2 minutes to check in for my flight home." I was told yes. Then 24 hours later when it was time to check in (also during the breakfast conversation), I asked and was denied again! It felt like the cereal all over again. So I called in and explained that I did not have internet access at this hotel and United checked me in over the phone.
At least this place offers free calls to USA and Canada.

The room has a nice kitchen: 2 hot plates, pots/pans , fridge and microwave and toaster oven.
The bathroom is small but cute with a turtle painted on the sink.
The shower has only a half wall so the floor gets wet as a result.
The street is extremely busy outside, so it takes a few minutes to enter or exit the property.
It is nice that they have a driveway that locks up so you don't need to leave the car exposed to the street overnight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear JC,

This is Meranda (Canadian) Thank you for your feedback.

Usually we are very open to anything we can do to help our clients. I am sure we would try and accommodate you unless it was out of our hands.

I just wanted to clarify that we do have Free WIFI on the property but we do not offer a computer. Matteo mentioned you wanted to borrow his Tab but at that moment you needed it was dead and needed to be charged… I am sure if it was ready he would of let you use it. You said it was fine and you would check in at the airport...

We have to offer breakfast from 7:30-10:30 as check out is at 11am. We were happy to give you a Free late check out that day due to your flight time.

I am sorry you were not happy with the Continental Breakfast you were given. So, In the end we still offered you breakfast and it was given to you after 10:30am but was not to your liking. We do offer delicious fresh fruit included with the cereal as well as Coffee or Tea and Juice. Complimentary.

We hope you enjoyed your time in Costa Rica we do appreciate you picking our Boutique Hotel to stay at while in the City.

Please do read the other reviews as well. We always try our best to be helpful to others as well as offering a safe place to stay. Take care and all the best to you both.

Meranda

Been to Out of Bounds Hotel? Share your experiences!