“A breath of fresh air!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Out of Bounds Hotel

You added Out of Bounds Hotel to your Saves list
Out of Bounds Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 km West of Commercial Paco, Old Road to Santa Ana | In front of Restaurant Taj Mahal, Escazu, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$69 (USD)
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Escazu
Garden City Beach, South Carolina
“A breath of fresh air!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This quaint hotel was the Four Seasons of Costa Rica. The views are breathtaking from any room, it is a full service, five star hotel that is run more like a Bed and Breakfast because everyone is family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the kind words!!

We fell in love with the view first then the Hotel came next. :) we always hoped that people would like it as much as we do. Nice breeze, birds chirping away. Happy you enjoyed your stay!!

We hope to see you again.

Take care
Meranda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Tilaran, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at Out Of Bounds 2 weeks ago for the first time, and what a great experience. Matteo and Miranda are engaging, informative and helpful.

We stayed on the upper floor, and thoroughly enjoyed the view from our front porch. In the evening it was calming to survey the city lights without being overwhelmed by street noise. In the morning our breakfast was served where we could sit and savor a slight breeze and a view along with the typical food we ordered. There are choices for breakfast.

The room was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. There are screens on the windows, so that letting in the night breeze can be accomplished easily and without unwelcome insect guests. The downside is that the room we were in was very small and had nowhere to hang anything. There was a very small armoire type closet in the corner with a couple of shelves.

I recommend Out of Bounds and look forward to our next visit there.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you very much for the review we appreciate you taking the time write about our Boutique Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.

Regarding the closet, yes In the standard room we just have the corner closet and the hangers are on the hooks outside from it . The other rooms do have full size closets. check out the Junior, Deluxe or Superior room next time for more space.

Till next time hope your enjoying your side of Costa Rica..take care

Meranda
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

April 2013 gave me the opportunity to visit Costa Rica again...and for the third time I stayed at Out Of Bounds with Matteo and Miranda!

Matteo even came to pick me up himself as the normal taxi canceled last minute - fantastic service! huge smiles upon arrival, a warm welcome making anyone & everyone relaxed and ready for any experience in Escazu.
if your just in for a couple of nights or are looking for a base to then explore Out of Bounds is perfect! I stayed for 7 nights, with a room that had a kitchenette, great for saving a few $$ whilst on vacation.

yes I will be there again in just a few months - see you soon guys and thanks!

PURA VIDA TODOS!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hey Chris, thanks man we cant wait to see you again.

Till next time, Meranda
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I go to the Out of Bounds monthly taking groups for dental or medical tourism, from the USA. Out of Bounds is a first choice due to its location, price, comfort, convenience to area clinics and hospitals, and safety for women travelers.

The owners are very helpful, and the breakfast is very fresh and served to order on the terrace overlooking the central valley. The hotel is perched up the side of a mountain such that the view is terrific, particularly at night, with 3 volcanos in clear view.

My staff and clients from DentaRica Travel (we are certified medical and dental tourism facilitators) in North Carolina, use this hotel frequently-- particularly when we travel as a group for dental work in Costa Rica. Using this hotel, we are confident of a very pleasant stay for everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Dear Reader,

I lived in Costa Rica and have known Meranda & Matteo for years. I recently made a trip back to San Jose and Out of Bounds was my first choice -albeit I was lucky to get a room- so book early!

M&M provide the comfort and service level guests would expect from a boutique hotel -at a 1/3 of the price- while retaining that unique sense of charm that B&B seekers jealously covet.

Glorious sunrise- check. Equatorial birdsong alarm - check. Roll out of king-size duvet covered bed - check. Glass block open air shower - check. Fresh cotton linens - check. Tropical fruit selection, gourmet coffee, and private breakfast with patio vista - check, check and check!

Rest assured, there is not a cleaner, more secure, more friendly pillow to rest your head on in the central valley.

Stop browsing and book already : )

J.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Erwin, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I don't even know where to start my praise with this hotel. I have stayed at many hotels but this by far was my favorite hotel with the best service I have ever received.Great, Great Rates!! We arrived a few hours early and was greeted by the owner Meranda and my precious baby Candy (Owner well behaved wonderful dog). We decided to go to the mall while we waited for our room. Meranda let us keep our bags in the front and called us a cab. Our room was super clean and very nice. The grounds were beautiful. The view is stunning. The food was wonderful and always served fast with a smile. The owners are just wonderful and very helpful. I have never in my life received that kind of service in any hotel I have ever stayed at. They arranged taxi's, tours, etc...They even went as far as to order take out for us and gave us great ideas for places to eat and go. I had some dental work done and I forgot my money for the return taxi, and instead of walking back to the hotel (10mins) Miranda the owner came and picked me up!!! What other hotel does that! Meranda and Matteo help you plan every detail of the trip, even the small things to make your trip relaxing, fun, easy, and pleasant. We cant thank you guys enough. We can't wait to return and this is now our home away from home!

P.S. We miss you already Candy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Hi Serena and Jay,

What a review, we really appreciate it! It was my pleasure helping you, its what I like to do:) Your teeth look great by the way!! We are hoping for you all to come back again, maybe with the boys next time.

Candy is already missing you...she went to the room looking for you already hehe.
Shoreview, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Out of Bounds hotel for a week during a trip to San Jose. We are thinking about moving to Costa Rica so Meranda & Matteo were extremely helpful in pointing us around the city. The hotel is a very cozy and relaxed atmosphere. The room was great and was perfect for us. And you can't beat having a wonderful breakfast up on the patio looking out over the San Jose landscape. We look forward to our next stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Out of Bounds Hotel? Share your experiences!