“Great place to stay, safe, convenient, great view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Out of Bounds Hotel

Save Saved
You added Out of Bounds Hotel to your Saves list
Out of Bounds Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1 km West of Commercial Paco, Old Road to Santa Ana | In front of Restaurant Taj Mahal, Escazu, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 13 Escazu B&B and Inns
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great place to stay, safe, convenient, great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I go to the Out of Bounds monthly taking groups for dental or medical tourism, from the USA. Out of Bounds is a first choice due to its location, price, comfort, convenience to area clinics and hospitals, and safety for women travelers.

The owners are very helpful, and the breakfast is very fresh and served to order on the terrace overlooking the central valley. The hotel is perched up the side of a mountain such that the view is terrific, particularly at night, with 3 volcanos in clear view.

My staff and clients from DentaRica Travel (we are certified medical and dental tourism facilitators) in North Carolina, use this hotel frequently-- particularly when we travel as a group for dental work in Costa Rica. Using this hotel, we are confident of a very pleasant stay for everyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Dear Reader,

I lived in Costa Rica and have known Meranda & Matteo for years. I recently made a trip back to San Jose and Out of Bounds was my first choice -albeit I was lucky to get a room- so book early!

M&M provide the comfort and service level guests would expect from a boutique hotel -at a 1/3 of the price- while retaining that unique sense of charm that B&B seekers jealously covet.

Glorious sunrise- check. Equatorial birdsong alarm - check. Roll out of king-size duvet covered bed - check. Glass block open air shower - check. Fresh cotton linens - check. Tropical fruit selection, gourmet coffee, and private breakfast with patio vista - check, check and check!

Rest assured, there is not a cleaner, more secure, more friendly pillow to rest your head on in the central valley.

Stop browsing and book already : )

J.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Erwin, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I don't even know where to start my praise with this hotel. I have stayed at many hotels but this by far was my favorite hotel with the best service I have ever received.Great, Great Rates!! We arrived a few hours early and was greeted by the owner Meranda and my precious baby Candy (Owner well behaved wonderful dog). We decided to go to the mall while we waited for our room. Meranda let us keep our bags in the front and called us a cab. Our room was super clean and very nice. The grounds were beautiful. The view is stunning. The food was wonderful and always served fast with a smile. The owners are just wonderful and very helpful. I have never in my life received that kind of service in any hotel I have ever stayed at. They arranged taxi's, tours, etc...They even went as far as to order take out for us and gave us great ideas for places to eat and go. I had some dental work done and I forgot my money for the return taxi, and instead of walking back to the hotel (10mins) Miranda the owner came and picked me up!!! What other hotel does that! Meranda and Matteo help you plan every detail of the trip, even the small things to make your trip relaxing, fun, easy, and pleasant. We cant thank you guys enough. We can't wait to return and this is now our home away from home!

P.S. We miss you already Candy!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Hi Serena and Jay,

What a review, we really appreciate it! It was my pleasure helping you, its what I like to do:) Your teeth look great by the way!! We are hoping for you all to come back again, maybe with the boys next time.

Candy is already missing you...she went to the room looking for you already hehe.
Shoreview, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Out of Bounds hotel for a week during a trip to San Jose. We are thinking about moving to Costa Rica so Meranda & Matteo were extremely helpful in pointing us around the city. The hotel is a very cozy and relaxed atmosphere. The room was great and was perfect for us. And you can't beat having a wonderful breakfast up on the patio looking out over the San Jose landscape. We look forward to our next stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After traveling back from Panama we stayed here. I can't say enough about the rooms and the staff. Matteo and Wife are so welcoming. The rooms are very clean, and bathrooms are huge. For the price and location you can't find a nicer place. Out of Bounds is the perfect place to crash after a surf vacation or having your Smile re-arranged! Order the Tico Breakfast... great way to start the day!

THE SWEET ONES
BK NY

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

this was my second stay at out of Bounds...if you see people going back then you must realize something is better than all those other places!

A massive warm welcome, smiles, super clean rooms, great views, fresh air, Marisa & Matteo ready to help, order, book, reserve whatever your needs maybe! just so easy to relax, weather your going to the dentist just 5 minutes walk from your room, maybe some shopping at the super mall within walking distance or maybe some hiking just around the corner Out of Bounds is there for you. A fantastic, covenant, helpful and inviting Hotel. Yes I will be back...hopefully in May!
Thanks again for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My friend and I stayed in Out of Bounds during last week of October this year and very much enjoyed the hotel and its location - close to DentaVac (2 min walk) where we've had a lot of dental work done and just across the street from a very fine Indian restaurant "Taj Mahal". A big plus was free internet access and phone calls to US and Canada available on the terrace by the hotel office. For breakfast we had chosen to have Costa Rican specialty "gallo pinto" which is black beans with rice served with scrambled eggs, glass of orange juice and coffee. It was simple food but we enjoyed it, especially that it was served on the terrace with the beautiful view of the city. The hotel owners Mateo and Miranda went out of their way to help us with anything we needed - one of which was picking us up from the airport and taking back by an English speaking driver. If you need to take a taxi cab, take only red ones with a yellow triangle on the door which has a number on it - those are legitimate taxis. Some cab drivers were not familiar with the hotel location and we found out that it was easier for them to take us to Taj Mahal restaurant, (which is well known there) right across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mermatt, Owner at Out of Bounds Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
It was a pleasure having you here, Matteo and I hope to see you again. Detavac does really good work!! Happy you are happy with both of us:) Take care

Been to Out of Bounds Hotel? Share your experiences!