“5 night trip - solo traveler” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Out of Bounds Hotel

Save Saved
You added Out of Bounds Hotel to your Saves list
Out of Bounds Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1 km West of Commercial Paco, Old Road to Santa Ana | In front of Restaurant Taj Mahal, Escazu, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
$53 (USD)
Ranked #2 of 13 Escazu B&B and Inns
Roatan, Honduras
“5 night trip - solo traveler”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Out of Bounds hotel review, feb 9 2012

The owner of the Enduro Tour Company I was going to recommended me this small hotel from a choice of 2…. Quality Hotel and Out of Bounds Boutique Hotel. Because of the size and the fact that you will see the owner’s daily I chose Out of Bounds.
Out Of Bounds are a small 5 rooms Hotel and rental house that the owners Matteo and his wife own and run. I arrived late Sunday night by organized taxi service by Matteo $25usd from the airport to the hotel (super easy English speaking driver) and greeted by Matteo, a quick chat then he ushered me to my room #3. The view is fantastic over looking the twinkling lights of the city of San Jose and surrounding mountains. The bathroom is spacious; the room is light and airy from the beautiful breeze that gushes up the valley. There is cable Tv, coffee maker, spacious wardrobe mini fridge, surprisingly an intercom to the front office and a communal microwave on the upstairs terrace. The bed was super comfy and the cotton Sheets wrapped you in luxury. Free fast WiFi everywhere and Free local calls! For Breakfast a choice of two things:
Aroz Pinto (rice and beans wit scrambled egg) or the continental (fruit and cereal). Both served with a refreshing super watermelon juice and tasty Costa Rican coffee.
Ricardo is a super friendly, approachable, well dressed, presentable general helper but mainly security guard, he holds the key to the front gate to let you go and come as you please. Within walking distance down the side of the main road (15mins avg) there is steak house, Peruvian Inka restaurant, Chinese, supermarket and pharmacy; if you need to go further then Matteo is more than happy to help you get a taxi, if you prefer take out then you will find a mountain of menus in the office. If your looking for a dentist then turn right from the hotel and within 3 minutes there is dental clinic, (I did not use it but other occupants of the hotel were there because of the proximity) In front of the office there is an abundance of information on waterfalls, coffee plantations, rafting, volcano tours, bus tours, transportation, cuisine, your standard lonely planet tour guides, armada of pamphlets, history photo books and the yellow pages if you need to go and find the impossible.

All in all and super place, if you don’t like big impersonal hotels, that have a cold heartless feel and volume base service then Out of Bounds is the place for you. Daily smiles, polite courteous service and if you need that extra little bit of help then the owners are just a gentle knock knock on their front door and they are super happy and willing to help you enjoy your stay not only in Out of Bounds but Costa Rica.
PURA VIDA!

Room Tip: Rom tips: All the rooms 1-5 are joined and made from cement/steel, so be aware of noise resignation...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Booking on the internet was easy, our pre-arranged transportation was there on time, friendly and a nice start to visiting Costa Rica. The hotel is very clean, has a great view and the breakfast was very good. The owners, a local and a Canadian gal, went out of their way to make sure we were satisfied,. Even though there were some mix ups with transportation to our dentist they made sure we were taken care of. Little things like this plus FREE phone calls back home make this an excellent choice in Escazu, San Jose.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have more open view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradford,Pa.USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Out-of-Bound in May and then again in November. It is a really wonderful place to stay, it has a great location with breathtaking view from the balconies and well appointed rooms. The hosts are perfect, very helpful in every way, and would gladly go the extra miles to make our stay the best. I still miss the lovely breakfasts served at the table on the balcony every morning. I do recommend Out-of-Bounds as the perfect home away from home!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011 via mobile

We only got to stay 1 night during our trip, but everything was perfect! Wish we had time for breakfast! Gorgeous location in the city, great restaurants near, too :). Thank you!!

• Stayed October 2011
Long Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our stay at Out of Bounds was fantastic! We had a large group so we stayed in the vacation rental home adjacent to the rest of the hotel. The house was amazing! Super cute with tons of space and really neat features. At the end of a long day it was a really nice homey feel to come back to. We saw some of the other rooms as well, and each seemed to have its own unique feel. The views of the city are spectacular as well!
The owners are amazing and they did everything they could to make sure we were set for everything from rides, to breakfast, to tours and more. We even came back unannounced at the end of the trip and they made room to accommodate us. I would definitely recommend staying at Out of Bounds to anyone staying in the San Jose area!

Room Tip: If you have a large party, the house is the way to go. A great value in Sept! If you're a coup...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

I had stayed here back in 2009 and when I was asked to bring my dance company to perform in CR I knew this is where I wanted to have my dancers stay. The vacation rental house in the back was perfect for my company of 11. They all had enough space to spread out, do laundry, cook and hang out. I myself stayed in the hotel itself. The room is comfortable and room #4 has my favorite view.
Merenda and Matteo go above and beyond to make sure all of your needs are met, and the guides they set up for us were amazing and quickly became like family.
I will not hesitate to tell everyone coming to Costa Rica to stay at Out Of Bounds.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I came down to Costa Rica with a large dance company of 11 people. We stayed in the newly acquired house, which is right behind the hotel. I was astonished at the size and beauty of it! In addition to the 4 bedrooms, there are 2 living rooms, a dining room, and a large kitchen with appliances. We had so much extra space to run around in! Plus, there´s a fun tiled jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.

Our director stayed in the hotel rooms, and they were so clean and comfortable as well.

The owner of the hotel went above and beyond in kindess and helpfulness. She provided us with maps and info to get the most out of our trip. The tour company affiliated with their hotel was exceptional. Our experience was so memorable, because our driver had such a passion for his job and country. We went zip lining through the rainforest, saw the La Paz waterfalls, and took the Doka coffee tour, which was all exciting and inexpensive. I hope to definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Out of Bounds Hotel? Share your experiences!