“Worst hotel ever!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Tara Hotel Spa and Casino Escazu

and 1 more site!
You added Grand Tara Hotel Spa and Casino Escazu to your Saves list
Grand Tara Hotel Spa and Casino Escazu
300 mts west 800 mts south from San Antonio de Escazu church, Escazu 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Escazu
Chicago, Illinois
“Worst hotel ever!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Let's see.... The spa, restaurant, casino, and bar were closed. The hotel is on a mountain away from everything. We seriously had to take a $20 cab ride to get food. I mean NOTHING but a room. That's not even the worst part. The hotel was taken over by a wedding band that had 8 bass drummers pounding, while 8 women in "carnivale" costumes, screamed at the top of their lungs. With the guests blowing on whistles all at the same time. I am NOT joking. At 3 am several guests including us ran from the hotel to another one down the mountain another $20 cab ride to get at least 2 hours of sleep. It was awful. Oh and the view is of local slums. I posted a video of the noise. It's unbelievable

Room Tip: Don't stay here lol
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Front D, Director de Recepción at Grand Tara Hotel Spa and Casino Escazu, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thanks for your review, this will help us to improve our customer service.

I really apologize about your inconvenient in our Hotel, Let me tell you that we open our restaurant already, from 7:00 until 23:00 for everybody, we also offer room service without extra charge,

Sincerely
Your Grand Tara-Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Granada, Nicaragua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

You are in San Jose yet at the same time you are away from the city and way above with a fantastic view of the city, the climate is perfect.
Built after the house in the Tara plantation style from the movie Gone with Wind (Clark Gable?) keeping the same huge proportions you do feel you are in a plantation in the the South of the USA with huge rooms to a corridor surrounding the house and so you can seat in comfy chairs all over with a view of the city (San Jose) or the Mountains.
The restaurant was excelent, I had a New York strip steak, very well cooked.
The SPA has the whole process for an algae sweat start with a strong massage, you fall sleep afterwards.
All in all, it's the best hotel in San Jose, nothing like the fast food type hotels you find nowadays and priced correctly.
Go for it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Front D, Director de Recepción at Grand Tara Hotel Spa and Casino Escazu, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Hello dear Alessandr...

Thank you so much for your great feedback!, and yes we are in a good location in Escazu, our restaurant & clinic Spa is available for people who wants enjoy our service.

We hope to have you soon again.

Your Grand Tara team
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had reservations for 2 months prior to my honeymoon trip, when I got to the hotel, the gate was closed and security told me the hotel was closed. Nobody ever contacted me at all, had to go to some friends house and borrow their computer to find another hotel. Never in a lifetime would think that something like that will happen, the security guard told me to contact the owners at the Beacon hotel, couldn't find the place and didn't have a phone with me, so long story short, I should have read trip advisor before even try to go there.

Room Tip: Go to a ifferent hotel
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This will be my first time in Costa Rica and our first stop is San Jose - for a night. I decided why not spend it in a what appears to be a nice and peaceful hotel in order to prepare for our 2 week trek.
I tried to arrange a shuttle pick up from the airport which I assumed would be a pretty easy thing to do. Yet for some reason, that has basically taken almost a month to sort out. I emailed multiple times and followed up with a phone call and still...couldn't get them to send a confirmation that everything was all good and set to go.
With that said, I had no choice but to cancel my reservation. I simply couldn't trust this hotel if something as common and easy like an airport pick up was so difficult to do.
I should also note that once I emailed again to cancel my reservation, they proceeded to ensure me that they did email me about my airport pick up. That maybe there was something wrong with my email or maybe it went to my spam folder! I then checked my spam folder and as I figured...no such confirmation existed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I didn't stay here, but HIGHLY encourage you to eat at their restaurant. I went only for dinner on a clear night, and the views of San Jose were incredible. You could see every light in the city, and I could only imagine that on a clear morning you could see for miles across the mountain tops. The property has great amenities too that we toured(pool, golf putting green, casino, lounge) so there are great places to host an event here as well. From start to finish the wait staff were right there to assist with anything you needed for your meal. I HIGHLY recommend going here for any occasion.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Alexandra R, Revenue Manager at Grand Tara Hotel Spa and Casino Escazu, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Hi MDC-BIZ!

Thank you so much for your great feedback!

We will be more than happy to welcome you again in our restaurant and would love to help you also with a room reservation when you decide to visit us again. Thus, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the great view over the central valley from your room as well. :-)

Be safe and we hope to welcome you soon again!
Your Grand Tara-Team
Cocoa Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

I had to find a hotel, last-minute & none w/in the San Jose city limits appealed to me. I was birding in the highlands whereupon other travelers recommended Gran Tara. I must say, it was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed (worldwide). The grounds are well-manicured w native vegetation, and the overlooks of San Jose are splendid regardless the time of day. The wrap-around balcony w french doors from one's room to access was probably my favorite aspect. Reminded me of a former, Southern Antebellum Plantation. Food amazing, customer service sublime...a touch of nature w 5* amenities in the cool mountains above hectic SJ. I did not have a car, so the cost r/t, SJO was $70USD.

Room Tip: I stayed in the LBJohnson room (104). Nice, verdant view from the balcony, but not directly overloo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I wanted to unwind before the start of a 9 day tour. This was the perfect place to do it. My room was charming. The views at night and day were spectacular. Although it was a little chilly, it was beautiful to sit on the top of the mountain, breath the fresh air and then get a wonderful massage in the spa.

If you like peace and quiet, then I would definitely recommend this place. My bed was so comfortable and the staff here were accommodating and lovely.

If you want to get away from it all and feel like you are on a proper holiday, even if it's just for a night or two, I would recommend Gran Tara in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Hi TravelingOYEster!

Wow...! You are writing about all our typical features! :-)

We really love to hear that you enjoyed your stay that much!
Beginning with your charming room, the fresh breeze from the mountains, next to our restaurant Grand View with the 180° view over the central valley and ending with our spaceful Spa with his variety of relaxing massages, facial treatments, manicure, pedicure, cosmetic treatments,... and a lot more.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in our hotel and do everything for your wonderful stay in our house.

Your Grand Tara - Team

Been to Grand Tara Hotel Spa and Casino Escazu? Share your experiences!