“Shows wear &Tear Renovation is overdue. Good Location so so value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall

Save Saved
You added Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall to your Saves list
Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Prospero Fernandez Highway | in front of Multiplaza Shopping Center, Escazu 11856-1000, Costa Rica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 17 hotels in Escazu
Riverside, California
“Shows wear &Tear Renovation is overdue. Good Location so so value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in the past and recently a couple of weeks ago. Actually I was checking out these and other hotels for a future company event.
This could be the hotel for you or might not be depending on what you like. This hotel is very business like crowded and with a busy Lobby. Traffic could be an issue to get to the airport and other areas of San Jose. If you like a quiet hotel, more tourist or resort like, this is not the hotel for you. You have other options for this in San Jose, with better pool area and amenities.

Room rates are higher than other comparable hotels in the San Jose area may offer the same or better amenities at a lowe price. I guess location is the reason across the street from the Megaplaza mall. At the same time this location could be a nightmare due to the traffic from and to Escazu. Especially if you need to get and arrive from the airport. Other hotels are closer to the airport. I do not think locations justify the higher price since the hotel shows lots of signs of deterioration

At first look, the hotel looks nice if you look at the lobby the 5 restaurants and pool area, but if you look more closely, the hotel does show signs of deterioration. Furniture already shows wear and tear, and even dirty. You can see this on the desk, headboard, night stands, chairs. Curtains are losing color, carpets throughout are showing wear and tear. I stayed on room on the fourth floor towards the floor of the building and I could not sleep well since there was a banging metal noise on and off coming from the outside wall. The bed was not the best and I for me bed should be the best if you are staying at a 5 stars hotel.

Service is ok, but could be better. I requested a late check out. They charge you 50% of rate if you if you check out before 5:00pm. That is ok with me, some hotels do charge some hotels do not charge and make is as a courtesy when it is a corporate rate, but since I call and requested the late check out and agreed to the charge, did not expect to get two calls to ask if I was checking out. It felt like they wanted me out of the room even when I already paid the late check out fee.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor and towards the back of the bulding
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear ericucho n, thank you once again for your separate feedbacks about our Hotel and the Restaurant The Market, it is extremely concerning for me all points brought on your reviews. I highly appreciate if you can forward your contact information at your earliest convenience in order to discuss further personally. Sincerely, Ramon (ramon.diago@r-hr.com)

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Boasting of several restaurants, you wont starve in this hotel. Choices range from sushi, steak, seafood, and the local cuisine.

The outdoor swimming pools are suitably temperature controlled but be ready for people gazing at you in your swimmers as the restos are lined surrounding the pools.

Visit the gym and save time for spa afterwards, it will be worth it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Yogad2003, good to know you have the opportunity not to only enjoy our restaurants but also our different relaxing areas in the Hotel. Thank you, Ramon
Austin, TExas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I stayed for two nights as part of a Caravan tour and as such it was a fantastic value -- I could not believe I was staying in the same hotel as the US President. (All the security was a little surreal, like in a movie, with men standing on tall nearby buildings and all around various settings.)

But it was two specific things that made the experience great:

1) The pool is amazing and much better than it looks (even though it looks great). The water is warm, there is music of good quality piped in so subtly that it is almost below hearing level (normally I detest ambient music), and swimming around is one of the best pool experiences I have ever had (a strong wind added to the experience where I originally thought it would detract). Don't miss swimming in the pool if you can possibly help it!

2) The beds are incredibly comfortable and were a huge factor in enjoying the stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Annette P, who would expect having such thrilled experience along with your vacation with Caravan Tours? We are proud of our pool area as it the main atraction of our grounds. Thank you for your review, Ramon.
Tampa.Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel was included I the Caravan Tour and my party of four really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were plush, the staff was always smiling, greeting you and generally very pleasant to deal with. There is a nice bar/lounge off the lobby that has a cold assortment of beer/wine/coffees and cocktails...for some reason most of the seating is for three but the chairs can be moved to suit. The restaurant has hand tossed fresh pizza which I thought was unusual until it was explained that Italians were some of the first emigrants to help with the rail system therefore pasta and such are widely served. The buffet breakfast is plentiful, pleasing and look for the pastry section..you will be glad you did. I get up early and going outside with my coffee I saw parrots in the trees and also look outside around 5pm as they return. The grounds of this hotel are well maintained and very pleasing to walk around and the pools were getting a lot of use in the afternoon. A meeting of several "heads of state" was scheduled later on in the week and rumor was some were staying here. there is a shopping mall directly across the street with a pedestrian bridge to get across the street. We had a memorable stay here and I would definitely stay here again. Rooms were quiet, AC worked well, bathrooms were very nice with large luxury towels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear FISandy, we are glad to have made your stay more memorable of what you expected, Caravan Tours is one of our top clients and they choose our facilities due to the quality levels of our services and products. Reason why we are also the preferred location for many international delegations that visit Costa Rica. Thank you, Ramon
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the Real InterContinental for three nights in conjunction with an event that we hosted in their conference space. I was very impressed by the front desk service and hotel staff. My room was clean and very comfortable (super cozy bed), with nice bathroom amenities. The pool was gorgeous, definitely the highlight of the hotel! The bar was nice, and the breakfast buffet was quite good. I wasn't impressed by the Market restaurant's dinner.

I have a mixed review of our event experience. The venue was absolutely gorgeous - beautiful main hall, very nice conference rooms, great catering, good staff. The outdoor patio was lovely, as it allowed our networking area to be open-air. The only frustration was loud construction noise immediately outside our venue that continued throughout our entire event. We were never warned of this, and absolutely should not have been able to book the venue! The staff were extremely unhelpful and failed to stop the noise, only minimized it slightly. We were very disappointed. Fortunately the GM was on-site and very professionally dealt with the issue (after the fact). I would strongly urge the hotel to be more transparent about its ongoing construction, and offer event spaces accordingly.

Otherwise, I'd happily return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear gkincaid, I am extremely sorry I was not able to completely turn around your experience in our Hotel. Rest assure we do our best to coordinate the convention center construction along with all the different events we hold in the Hotel in order to have the minimum possible disturbance for our guests. Thank you once again for booking your event with us and look forward to welcome you back. Ramon
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Not sure if it claims/aspires to be a 5-star by international standards - certainly the price is way up there - but there are one or two areas where it doesn't quite make it. Great staff and very good food (particularly the breakfast buffet but:
- the advertised 'purified' water in the bathroom is so heavily chlorinated as to be undrinkable (certainly for coffee)
- the wi-fi internet service is very poor (at least on our wing of the third floor it kept dropping off) - and it's not cheap. (There was internet cable, but the connector was broken) Internet should be free in a hotel of this price standard.
- the ice machine on the third floor was boken all the time we were there. Had to go down to the second floor. Difficult to fix??
- If I say at checkout that I have not used anything from the mini-bar, I don't expect to have to wait while they send someone to check! (not least as it's one of those ghastly 'automatic' ones). Very poor.

Room Tip: If you need wifi, ask for a room where it works!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Dougaldawn, we are extremely sorry about the different opportunities you encountered during your stay, be advised that InterContinental Hotels & Resorts is in the process of relaunching our loyalty programs in order to have complementary internet services for our VIP guests like you. We are aware of the malfunctioning of the ice machine and it has been already addressed. Thank you, Ramon
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental for just over 2 weeks in April/May and overall had a very pleasant stay. The only reason I have marked them down a star, is that my stay collided with a visit from the President of the USA, which basically resulted in us getting "locked in" for certain periods of time- and unable to use the facilities. On the Friday, we couldnt get to the office and had to work from the hotel, and on the Saturday (my only day off) I wasnt allowed to sit by the pool and was told it wouldnt be open until 2pm! (It actually opened about 11.30)- plus the gym/spa etc were closed. I appreciate this was out of the control of the hotel- but we received no prior warning which would have been nice.

However, apart from that- I only have good things to say. The staff were lovely- and soon knew my drinks order by memory. The choice of restaurants was great, and the breakfast in the market was fantastic. My room was cleaned to a great standard each day, and my dry cleaning returned early.

I will definitely be returning- just hopefully not at the same time as the President!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Victoria S, I do appreciate your loyalty to our Hotel Services and Staff, I personally apologized that your stay was damage by the International Delegation we had while you were here. Rest assure we did our best to minimize guest impact however there were situations out of control. Looking forward to welcome you back, Ramon

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!