“Diamond in the Rough” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Escazu
Newark, Delaware
“Diamond in the Rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

If your ever in the San Jose area and looking for a more relaxed place to stay and scenic and first class lodging I strongly suggest you stay at Casa Cristal Boutique Hotel in Escazu the place is immaculate from top to bottom, service with a smile, bilingual,
My first visit to San Jose and just outside the city was the place sitting on the hilltop,
I don't usually write reviews, but I had to after this trip, I found two great places during my stay on CR!!! This was one on them, 5 ***** Stars for me!!! No it's not the 4 seasons, It's a B&B, but a small privately own not commercial and feel care for place to stay with the city noise and traffic..

Room Tip: This overlooks the San Jose area, you really want to stay here at least one night.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Rafael de Escazu, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here with my 8-year-old for 4 nights. We needed a place to stay while looking for a home to rent. I couldn't have asked for anything more, and if I did I'm sure Zeida and Victor would have helped me get it, or gotten it for me. They are wonderful people and two of the many great reasons for staying here. By the second day they felt more like family than the people running the hotel we were staying in.

We got a room with a wonderful view, and it was very clean. The entire hotel is very clean and whether you are inside or outside you are hit with views of city lights, mountains, and volcanoes.

In the mornings we had breakfast at the hotel and it was delish! We also ate at the hotel for most of our other meals. I read a comment about how expensive their food is, but I have one word for you...ESCAZU! For the quantity and quality of food you get at the hotel you are NOT going to do any better at any other restaurant in town, especially in this city, and especially at a hotel with rates this low. Eat at the hotel. It's worth it.

I have also read comments about taxi drivers not knowing how to find the place. If you tell them Bello Horizonte and to follow the signs, they can't miss it. So don't use that as a reason not to stay at this hotel. I will readily admit that this hotel is not in the most convenient location, not in the middle of everything. But you are just not going to get peace and quiet, great views, and a hot bar and club scene, all in one hotel. NO hotel in Costa Rica does that.

All in all I would definitely stay here again.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Casa Cristal Boutique Hotel, located in the hills of Escazu, overlooking Costa Rica's capital, San Jose. It was a wonderful experience! Our room was very spacious (perhaps 50-100% larger than equivalently priced rooms at other nearby hotels and resorts) -- in addition to a comfortable, queen-sized bed, dresser and closet, it contained a desk / work table, jacuzzi, large (i.e., more than enough room for two) separate shower, and another separate room for the toilet and bidet. (Other rooms had better views, so if you want / need that, please request it -- I was certainly satisfied, though, as the adjacent public areas that offered spectacular city and mountain views were quiet, comfortable, easily accessible and plentiful.) Zeida and Victor are among the most friendly and charming hosts I have ever encountered in my travels -- I definitely felt like family! Be sure to note, too, that breakfast (not continental -- a real, home-cooked breakfast!) is included. I can't wait to return to Costa Rica -- and, rest assured, I will be staying at Casa Cristal!

Room Tip: I don't think one can go wrong with any of the rooms -- they're all different layouts, with...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Casa Cristal is run by Zeida and Victor and are very attentive and gracious hosts. The rooms are very neat and clean. The property overlooks San Jose and volcano views in the distance are wonderful. The building is dramatic, open and airy. We started our Costa Rican adventure there and couldn't have made a better choice. Zeida and Victor treat you like family and are very informative. This is a small hotel and provides a quiet respite from the busy streets in San Jose. I highly recommend staying here.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is very beautiful and peaceful, the rooms are spacious, clean and modern. The view looking down on the San Jose valley is incredible and Victor and Zeida are the best! They were incredibly helpful and accommodating from arranging transportation, to providing directions and of course the food is delicious! A short cab ride into San Jose and even closer to the up and coming Escazu.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is very beautiful ,notting like the pictures, when you r staying there , the view,the rooms the area is beautiful,service is excellent , believe me I work fo Walt Disney World as a server n I know what is white glove service u would get it here with out paying the big buck. Zaida and Victor r the owners n run the hotel they would make u feel like home. Love it n will make it my home when coming back. A lot to do in Costa Rica tours will pick u up n also taxi very safe pl n like 15 minutes fr San Jose

Room Tip: Looks like all the rooms r looking to the valley of San Jose (request view)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Located in high end peaceful area of Escazu overlooking San Jose, having amazing views of the city itself and the high volcano behind San Jose.
Personalized service by the owners themselves,provided everything we asked.
Spacious studio having modern and relaxing feel with a balcony overlooking the property.
Arranged an excellent day tour for volcano Poas and coffee plantation.
I will recommend it to all whom I know traveling to San Jose.

Room Tip: Ask for studio 5
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Cristal Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!