“Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Beacon Escazu

You added Hotel Beacon Escazu to your Saves list
Hotel Beacon Escazu
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 mts Oeste del Parque Central, Escazu 4013, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Escazu
usa
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I got lucky and booked this room at the last minute for around $70. The room and bed were first class, the only negative is that the room did Not have a window. The hotel itself is in the city but outside the city center. It is gated and has protected underground parking. As I only stayed in San Jose one night, I didn't venture too far away from the hotel but it seemed safe. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a window.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I am on my second day at the hotel, and I really like it. It's not a 5-star hotel according to American standards, but I think it is still really nice. Bonus: FREE local and international calls from your room! There is also free wifi and free breakfast (which is more than just fruit; I thought it was great).

The biggest problem is that it's nearly impossible to find. Every map (Google, MapQuest, Trip Advisor, etc.) has the streets marked completely differently than how they are marked in reality. Here's what you want to do:

1. From the San Jose Airport take the 1 toward San Jose.
2. Follow the signs that say Escazu. There is a lot of winding around and going onto little streets. The various maps help you know when to curve around at what point. I wish I could be more precise, but everything is done by landmarks here, which is what the maps appear to reflect (ex: "once you see the X Building, turn right;" you'll see that a lot).
3. Eventually, you'll end up on a one-way street. All of the maps say that this is Avenida 3. Wrong. You're really on Avenida 26.
4. What you want to do is take Avenida 26 all the way until it ends. There will be a large, beautiful estate in front of you when that happens. Turn left there.
5. Then take another left two streets down. This is Avenida 30.
6. The hotel is a couple of blocks down on your right. It is very, very hard to see because, from the outside, it tends to blend right into the neighborhood.

I'm posting this in order to save some future sole from going through what I went through to get here. It took me---literally---5 hours to find the damn place. Luckily, I speak Spanish, so I was able to get help. I don't know how anyone else finds it. The unfortunate thing was that most people had no idea that the hotel existed, much less where it was located.

Anyhow, once I finally made it, things were great. The people are nice. The room is lovely. The only bad thing about the hotel itself is that the jacuzzi is way too hot. I like heat, but even I couldn't tolerate the extreme heat enough to get in. I'm going to ask if anything can be done about that.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Douglas, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at Hotel Beacon for two nights at the end of our vacation in Costa Rica. I made the reservation last minute and our first night was indicative of my lack of planning. My husband and I had to "share" a double bed and our 12 yr old son opted for a roll-away, rather than sharing the other double bed with his 14 yr old sister. Suffice it to say, no one slept except the kids. The second night we were moved to a fabulous suite! It had 3 bathrooms, a second story, 2 king sized beds and a sleeper sofa. The kids were thrilled, my husband I were able to sleep, all was well.

After 9 adventure filled days in the jungle of Costa Rica, I thought it would be nice to book a couple massage for the Mr. and me. Located on the top floor of the hotel in an open-air setting, I was prepared to be pampered. Let me tell you, it was everything but! When I initially booked, there was a slight hesitation about me selecting a couple massage, as that requires two therapists. I'm not convinced the woman didn't call her BFF to stand in, as neither of them knew what they were doing. I could write a short story on this experience alone, but instead I'll just advise anyone to steer clear of the spa at Hotel Beacon Escazu unless you enjoy the following:
- Listening to Disney tunes (particularly The Lion King soundtrack) during your treatment
- Shivering. The spa is located on the rooftop, which can be chilly at times. Maybe there was a shortage of blankets...at the hotel.
- Anxiety. My "therapist" was so fast and furious, I was everything but relaxed. There was no technique, which tells me no experience. Again, BFF filling in here!
- Overuse of lotion. I've had a LOT of massages and I know some use lotion, some use oil, some use both. But I have NEVER experienced or witnessed the use of this much lotion. The woman "massaging" my husband completely de-pants him and contined to lotion is butt. There was so much lotion that wasn't absorbed, he had to shower when we got back to the room. As for me, this woman ran half a bottle of Jergens through my hair and when it was all said and done, I looked like Medusa! That's right, my hair. Now I am ok with a little head massage, but we are talking about 25 min of lotioning my locks. Not what I had in mind.
- Unattentive Attendants. We spent the last 20 min lying there, cold, covered in lotion, elevated heart rate, with cucumber slices on our eyes, while the women we paid for this mistreatment surfed the internet. Finally I removed the vegetables from my eyes, my husband peeled himself from the table and we left. They remained unphased by our departure.

I thought it best to share my unsatisfaction with the manager, rather than the spa "staff" so I went immediately to the front desk, looking like I had just stuck my finger in a light socket. Despite my appearance, which only reinforced my story of the last 60 minutes, everything I said fell on deaf ears. I'm not one to seek out opportunities for a possible free ride, but in this situation it was definitely warranted and they failed.

Again, the hotel was great and the suite was amazing. This isn't a property you're likely to visit just for the spa...at least I would advise against it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tamarindo, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stay there for 2 nights with breakfast included. The price of the Deluxe room was $79 plus taxes and I think that this is one of the best quality/price that you can get in San Jose, they have a little jacuzzi in the middle of a little tropical garden, the food at the restaurant is good and yes it is a little expansive but well it is the price of Escazu restaurants. I think the staff is really friendly and helpful, parking with guard, really nice comfy bed, good water pressure and really hot water. I will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Prefer the room of the other side of the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Front D, Director de Recepción at Hotel Beacon Escazu, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Hello Hotel-Pasatiempo wow, I really appreciate your nice and sincerely review, is nice to hear that you liked the Hotel, And yes our price are very reasonable, also our restaurant is very nice, do not forget our Spa your next time :) Also remember the Sauna & Steam Room at the second floor, I hope you come back soon.

Best Regards
Your Beacon Escazu-Team
San Jose, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I went for information about the hotel and asked to speak to the manager, he came out of his office on a rage, I even though he was going to get physical with me, he started to scream at me. He was really mad about me asking for him and didn't let me speak, I just left to never come back again, no wonder why people complain about the service and the management with a character like the one they have as a manager. By the way it seams that the employees are so afraid of him!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

While coming back from a wonderful trip on the Osa Peninsula, we stayed at this 4 star hotel.
Not well located in terms of hailing cabs, restaurants or bars, the desk service was average and the bar service poor and inattentive. Further, the street noises are obvious but don't let this sway you. We were steered to a sister hotel's restaurant and it was very over priced and there was no other patron in attendance.

That said would recommend to first timers to San Jose as the price benefit is worth it.
Other recommendations go to the downtown mall area for shopping and taking in the city scene, filled with bars restaurants and good buys on souvenirs. The museums are worth it too. Our highlight was "going up the hill" to the Tacquisia Restaurant which over looks the city.

Room Tip: Go on Kayak, Priceline etc to get the best deal
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Situated in the area of Escazu, the Beacon hotel is central to shopping and just a short ride from the airport. Ideal as a jumping off point for your Costa Rica adventure vacation or ideal by itself as a luxury spa resort, the Beacon has something for everyone. With 5 star services, clean rooms and a peaceful setting you are sure to love your stay.

Room Tip: Call ahead to book a room that is not on the street side of the property to ensure the least amount...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Beacon Escazu? Share your experiences!