“Decent timeshare hotel with a sweet pool!” 3 of 5 stars

Pueblo Real
Quepos 6350, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Quepos
Portland, Oregon
“Decent timeshare hotel with a sweet pool!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Pueblo Real was a nice and adequate hotel for our stay in Costa Rica. It was a bit remote which we didn't like as we had to take a taxi most places. The two bedrooms were apart from each other so our friends had privacy. Two bathrooms that had both been re-tiled in a lovely brick red color. Overall though, the place was a bit dated and tired. The beds were old, the sheets old and scratchy, and the blankets/comforter faded. Some money could be well spent upgrading these items.

A/C worked well and so did the fans. The room was always comfortable. We enjoyed the covered patio (we were in room 205). Water would often not be available in the afternoon. Just had to wait it out.

The pool was lovely and quite big. We used it every day. The chaise lounges were old, but the hammocks were nice. The pool maintenance house needs work as it was loud. The pool bar was so-so on drinks but the server was very sweet. One thing we did NOT appreciate was the young man who was using an old and loud pressure washer on the walkways by the pool EVERY afternoon! Too much racket! I felt sorry for him. Cleaning the same spot over and over. Not his fault of course.

Eat across the drive at Cayuga's. It's really good. The couple who run it are nice nice nice! Anna also prepares breakfast for the hotel ($3) daily EXCEPT on Sunday when there is no food to be had, so plan ahead to go into Quepos for breakfast or make something if you are taking the shuttle back to San Jose after checkout.

Know before you go:
-Bring beach towels because you can't use theirs.
-A sponge football would be fun in the pool.
-Bring drip coffee filters and snacks (no store nearby)
-Have lots of small bills (we used dollars) for tips and cab rides if you don't have a car.
-Bring bug spray, a hat, and one pair of long linen or cotton pants for at night to avoid bites!
-Bring cheap plastic ponchos for rain. You don't need rain jackets because it's too hot.
-Bring your own DVDS because their selection is quite old.

Once there:
-The best beach is at Playa Manuel Antonio. Go to Mary's beach rentals which is the first rental outfit you come to in Manuel Antonio. Lounge chairs and umbrella is only $5 for the day. Rent a boogie board for $10 a day because the waves are good when the tide is coming in. I recommend you get lounge chairs under the tree up near the road because it's great shade and once the tide comes in, you will have to move your stuff if you are closer to the water. Order the Bikini smoothie. It's good!

-Book your tour of Manuel Antonio through the hotel and you will get a wonderful and knowledgable guide named Roger. He has a degree is bugs/birds and is a fun guy. Go early in the morning because it's crowded. People who are just going to the beach are loud and sometimes inconsiderate when passing. So the earlier you start, the better.

-Do the zip line!!! I was hesitant at first (okay, scared really) but looking back, it was my favorite excursion. Really great guide if you book through the hotel. Al and his gang were loads of fun and highly entertaining. It's neat to be up in the canopy of trees. We felt very safe. They had safety stops so you didn't have to use your gloved hands. They took tons of photos. Afterwards, we stopped and took a dip in the most beautiful waterfall /natural pool. It was incredibly refreshing.

-Don't do the catamaran trip (we did Ocean King). It was typically awful. Load music, poor snorkeling and other than seeing a hump back whale, boring. We were supposed to see dolphins but didn't. Be careful on the slide. I watched my husband go down it and it looked pretty rough. His neck was sore the next day from the wrenching. I would jump off the boat roof instead which seemed safe enough.

Where we ate:
-We loved Cayuga's across the drive. Anna sure knows how to cook Mahi Mahi so it's moist and not dry like many others we found. The fish sandwich was great. Her guacamole is good, too and I loved the posada plate with fish.

-Kukula's was the worst place we ate at. Ignore the reviews (except mine). It's not that the food was horrible, it was more that when eating your food, you were also inhaling filthy fumes from all the cars, trucks and motorcycles zooming by the open air restaurant. I hated it. It was loud and honestly, it was empty when we were there and we never saw anyone there when we drove by either. I couldn't leave quick enough.

-We loved the Bohemia Cafe and Boutique. The owner was a lovely woman and the food really good and interesting. Best of all, the only dessert on the menu was a recipe from her mother. Warm dark chocolate cake with chocolate glaze and vanilla ice cream. It was fantastic!

-L'Angelo's Italian in Quepos was another favorite. The service was extremely slow but we knew this ahead of time from other reviews so it was no big deal. The owner/chef makes each meal one table at a time. I had the spaghetti with pesto and my husband had the primavera.

When you leave:
-bring the remote controls with you at check out, otherwise, you will have to march back to your room and get them. I don't know why this was..

I brought a few too many clothes. You don't need Jackets or jeans or many shoes. I wore my flip flops mostly and my Nikes when we went to MA park and the zip line. Its really humid here. Sleeveless tanks, shirts, and shorts are perfect. Bring at least 2 swim suits. I wore skorts. Ladies, go to Athleta online and buy yourself a 'whatever' skort! You will never regret it! Guy's, get shorts with zippers for your credit card and money. Bring a hat. We wore our hats every day. Don't forget a backpack for carrying your stuff around during beach outings or excursions. By the way, our stuff was always safe during the excursions.

The Costa Rican people are lovely and eager to help. The hotel staff were friendly, helpful and kind. Overall, we can't wait to come back!!!

Well, I hope you enjoyed my review!! Have loads of fun in Costa Rica!!!

Room Tip: Try and get the second floor. It's quieter and a lovely view of the pool
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Tresco, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Very nice place but unfortunately we came in hurricane season, just after a recent hurricane and pretty much out of season.
Pretty remote so need transport which can be arranged quite easily.
Highlight was the abundance of wildlife right on the doorstep.
Nice pool/cocktail bar would have been a lot nicer if there were actually other people about.
Rooms were nice enough, clean, comfortable.
The restaurant just over the road was by far the one of the best places i have ever eaten, proper authentic Costa Rican cuisine and the family that ran it were super friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed here for a week, with RCI. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable of the area. You can book most of your adventure activities, zipline, white water rafting, whale watching etc., directly at the front desk, and at a reduced rate!! The pool and gardens were nice, and the breakfast in the morning was inexpensive and delicious. You will definitely want to have a rental car when staying at this location as it's a little off the beaten path. Or you could arrange with a local taxi man to be on standby for when you call.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
South Elgin, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We arrived during the rainy session but were lucky with the weather, it rained some in the afternoon and at night but never affected our outings. We had room 211 and were very happy with it. Elizabeth gave us a very good orientation on Monday but never saw her after that. Usually Michael was at the desk and he was very good helping us set up our outings for the next day. Oscar was also at the desk and always helped me identify all of the pictures of birds that I took. We had no problems with security even when we left things out in our room when we were away. Diego (I think his name was) works down the road from the resort, we hired him as a guide for bird watching. He was excellent, I highly recommend him if you want to see birds. He took us at higher elevation areas to see a multitude of birds. We also went to Manual Antonio national park on a tour with another guide. Trust me, the guide really helped. We went to 3 different beaches and all were very good. Zip line was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the catamaran, we saw whales and dolphins. We also went on the mangrove monkey tour, lots of birds but not one monkey. Across the road from the resort is Cayuga a decent place to eat. Anita and Ricardo run it. She cooks and does good job.
I would go back again. We were with another couple and they enjoyed it as well.

Room Tip: Room 211 was very nice. We looked over the pool. Great view. We did not have much problems with the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our family visted Costa Rica for 7 days this September and stayed at Pueblo Real. The location was quite nice, somewhat remote and "off the beaten path". You'll see by the short dirt road through the African Palm Plantation to get there. We arrived late on a Sunday evening and was nicely greeted by Michael who gave us our keys and was very helpful throughout the trip. Jorge, the other front desk receptionist was also very nice and helpful with anything we had questions about. There was another gentleman that worked there also, however I cannot recall his name. Everyone was very nice and helpful to me and my family throughout our stay at Pueblo Real.

If it was not for the below family's troubles - I would have easily given this resort a 4/5.

HOWEVER- I did overhear the initial discussion when Michael approached a family that were staying there during the same week and accused them of breaking the counter-top tile. I was sitting in the pool when he came out to discuss this with the Mother and Daughters. Our family actually shared a flight to Costa Rica with this family. The three young women are very nice, respectable and responsible people. They are the type that if they did break anything, they would surely have notified the resort personnel immediately.

Additional Note: Not everyone in Costa Rica is looking to take advantage of vulnerable travelers and tourists. But be Very Cautious when you go on some excursions or are out downtown. My father had his money clip with nearly $200 stolen off a Catamaran tour. We do not believe it was the crew of the ship as they were very helpful with checking everyone's bags and purses before they let them off the ship. However, I believe I know who took the money and it was hard to tell if she and her children were "implants to Costa Rica"/locals or if they were on vacation also and were just bad people. Either way- watch your stuff, watch it closely but have a great time. There are many great people in Costa Rica, far more than the bad one...., but Gringo Money is Gringo Money.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Pueblo Real. We met some great people and made some lifelong friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Golden, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We arrived at 6pm at resort after traveling from Colorado. Michael checked us in on Sunday evening. He did not ask us how our journey was and he was not friendly or welcoming. We went to bed and the next morning maid comes to room to clean. I told her that we had just arrived (in Spanish) and to come back tomorrow. An hour later Michael comes to pool and accused us of damaging the countertop (one tile was broken and concave) in kitchen with a bag of ice (keep in mind maid went into unit after we had left). We did not buy a bag of ice.We asked to talk to manager. The next day, Elizabeth Lee met with is and again accused us of breaking countertop. She basically called us liars. In 14 years with RCI, I have never come upon anything like this occurring. I feel the staff set us up to get gringo money. They charged me $200 on credit card for damage to countertop but unit was damaged all over. Be aware of condition of unit at check-in and take pictures.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Harlingen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and another couple spent a great week at the resort. It is the perfect spot to relax after a hard day of fishing, zip lining, white water rafting and exploring Manuel Antonio park. We were in unit 210 looking down over the pool and swim up bar. Large 2 bedroom unit with all the essentials necessary for a fantastic week. Michael and Jorge who are on duty every day are extremely knowledgable and speak fluent English. Our only complaint was the hot water. It would come and go and sometimes leave you soaped up and cold. It is an issue they are working on. You have to remember where you are, and for Costa Rica Puebli Real is a Hidden Gem!

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Pueblo Real? Share your experiences!