“Don’t stay in their “single” rooms unless you are down to your last dime!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mar y Luna

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Quepos
Hotel Mar y Luna
Quepos, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 17 hotels in Quepos
California
“Don’t stay in their “single” rooms unless you are down to your last dime!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I hate to write such a negative review (and, in fact, this is my first negative review) but if I knew what I know now, you couldn't pay me to stay in this hotel!

This hotel apparently also serves as the home of an extended family; nice enough people (aren’t all Ticos) but not very good hosts. They basically live their very noisy life right outside your bedroom door from about 5:30 a.m to 9:30 p.m. (I had to laugh at their sign in the room asking you to be considerate of other guests and not play your radio.) I read fairly good reviews of this place considering that it is a budget hotel and thought I‘d stay here for my visit to Manuel Antonio. When I arrived at the hotel (low season) to inquire about a room, I was told a private room w/bath was $60. I thought I heard wrong as this is a BUDGET hotel and the nicer hotels in town were charging less. I declined but then was told there are “singles” for $10. I was showed a “single” room. It is tiny, just a bed, some shelves a bare light bulb overhead and a fan. There is a shared bathroom with a cold water shower and a sink outside the bathroom. Thinking that there appeared to be no other guests in the hotel, I’d rough it and that way I could save to splurge on a really nice hotel later in my trip.BIG MISTAKE! Little did I know the family (which consists of multiple generations) lived right outside the door of my room, uses the shared bathroom and had their kitchen and dining area literally a few feet away from the door of my room. (Which btw will include the smells of everything they cook and their cigarettes wafting through your room.) It is not particularly comfortable to go in for your morning shower right next to a family eating breakfast. To make it even worse, the bathroom ran out of toilet paper and even though they knew that, they didn’t bother to replace it. I wouldn’t call the place clean; I wouldn’t call it filthy either, but it’s pretty disgusting (some questionable stains on the wall and elsewhere). Hey, I am not a picky person (obviously, or I wouldn’t have even considered this place) and I have been travelling all over Costa Rica on a budget. This is the first experience where I would say…no warn….DON’T STAY HERE (AT LEAST IN THEIR SINGLE ROOMS!). Perhaps the private rooms are better, but somehow, I doubt it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

I was travelling alone and I stayed at Mar Y Luna for one night. The woman manager (Manuella?) and younger man employee were kind and the room was tidy. A double with private cold shower for only 14$. The hotel is close to the bus station which means that it's close to Manuel Antonio as the bus ride is only 20 minutes and lets you off at the beautiful, big, free public beach or the park gate. In fact I went back and forth twice in one day. (the bus runs very frequently). There is laundry at the hotel and it's affordable too. They let me store my bag after check-out. A good deal.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Mar Y Luna for 5 days and it was a great experience. It is one street over from the main strip in town so it is quite at night and there is a great ice cream shop right across the street, there is also a little balcony upstairs that is great for sitting and people watching. For a double bed and ac we paid $26 a night, the room was worn but clean, just the basics, if your looking for anything more then a place to store your stuff during the day and crash at night this is not the place for you. The staff is all family and is super friendly and helpful, we had forgotten at our hotel in San Jose a very expense hardrive ($700) and the staff took the time to call several times and arrange to have it sent to us, couldn't do enough to help.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Fischamend
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

If you don`t look for something special but cheap this is a place to stay. We payed 31$ for a double room with hot shower and fan. The room was basic but clean. We stayed there for one night. Breakfast is not included but there are many places around where you can eat!
We really recommend this place if you look for a cheap option to visit Manuel Antonio. The park is a 25 minutes ride with the public bus or taxi away. Take the public bus, its cheaper and a really interesting experience!

• Liked — nice rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

A friend and I wanted to visit Manuel Antonio and found the hotels in Quepos a more economical option. Quepos is only a 25 minute (25 cent one-way) bus trip away from Manuel Antonio and considerably cheaper (especially since many of the hotels that advertize themselves as being in Manuel Antonio are actually anywhere along the road between Quepos and Manuel Antonio. Mar y Luna was an economical option in Quepos. The staff was friendly and the lobby had a TV that they let you change to what you wanted to watch. We had heard breakfast was complimentary but when we got there we found out it was only available during the dry season. We had a double with private bathroom for $20 dollars total per night. The room was nothing to look at but it was clean. It had two single beds and a shelf. While no air conditioning, the fan was very good and kept it bearable in the room. The bathroom was again nothing special and only had cold water but it was in the room.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Mar y Luna? Share your experiences!