“Comfortable but noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 16 hotels in Quepos
Dallas, Texas
“Comfortable but noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our return from Playa Matapalo en route to San Jose. We were given a room next to the street. If you stay here, ask for another location, perhaps next to the pool. We were kept awake by the street noise. We did have fun going out onto the balcony and watching the locals visiting the bar across the street. For a younger person, I guess noise wouldn't be a problem just join in the revelry. The room was comfortable enough, other than noise. Complimentary breakfast was sufficient.

Room Tip: Get a room located away from the street if quiet is an issue.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HotelKamuk, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel & Casino Kamuk, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your comment, we really appreciate your opinion.

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Williams Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This is not your typical Best Western. From the outside it looks mundane but, once you cross inside, you will be dazzled by the charming Spanish decor.

Check-in was very professional and our room on the 2nd. floor was generous, charming and definitely a notch more upscale than your average Best Western. Spotlessly clean and super, daily, room service. We stayed there 3 nights.

Staff was always courteous and very helpful with our myriad of questions. The included breakfast in the Mira Olas restaurant upstairs is pretty basic but the view is great and, if you are really hungry, you can always order more food from the extensive menu. Or, step outside and enjoy the food from the multitude of little local shops on both sides of the street. Dinner was excellent at that restaurant.

The hotel is located in a busy part of Quepos but it was low-season and that surely helped to keep the noise level low. The advantage is that it’s walking distance to the waterfront, great restaurants and many shops.

Room Tip: In high season you may wnat to try to get a room further away from the "casino".
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Olivette, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My standard room was a bit cramped, but with a very nice, but cramped bathroom. There are some homeless people sleeping on the street outside the hotel. The cops wake them up in the morning and tell them to go away. I didn't see homeless people in Jaco like I did there. I was there during low season so there were not a lot of people in town. There is a very nice view from the the 3rd floor restaurant of the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful in helping me look for tours. They also helped me to find nice restaurants to eat at. I wouldn't recommend Quepos in general. I was not impressed.

Toronto, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

From the outside it looks ordinary, but the Best Western kamuk is anything but ordinary. Lovely Spanish architecture, incredibly helpful staff, excellent bed and great views. We found the room was large and well appointed, the service really good and the bar and Restaurant excellent value. Recommend it particularly as we were here in the wet season. The room we were initially given was small, but it was no trouble to change and nicest. Good laundry service also.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night. The hotel was booked for us by Coast to Coast adventures for the night before the start of their C2C trip. Smart enough hotel just across the road from the Pacific. We arrived too early to check in, but the reception staff were happy to store our bags and give us directions to the bus station to get the bus to Manuel Antonio.
Nothing majorly good or bad to say. The rooms were OK, the pool was a bit grubby, but OK. The restaurant was pretty good. The hotel was very quiet....none of the noise experienced by other people and definitely no parties of 'guys'.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Castle Rock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Nice Pacific views. Clean. Had salads and they were good. Had ceviche made unlike any I've had before. Was good also. Priced medium.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

What a horrible experience I had at this Best Western.
I arrived late at night, and there was vacancy at the Best Western. The door man watched me struggle to get my baggage out of the car and up the 3 ft. curb. Didn't lift a finger to help.
Check in was fine, the person at reception was very good and polite. Went up to the room and it smelled like something had been dumped on the floor a week ago. The person at the desk came up to the room, walked in and said "You're right, I'll get you another room". Moved across the hall. The beds in both rooms looked like they had been there since the 70's hard and old. Same with the everything else in the room (except the towels they were nice and new)
I went for a walk because the restaurant was closed. Drug addicts filled the streets, no warnings from the hotel staff.
When I came back I went to check out the casino. The one poker table was closed, and so were half the slot machines. That meant the casino consisted of 1 DJ playing music too loud, a Bar with 5 very drunk people sitting in front of it and about 15 working slot machines with about 8 people playing. Not really a casino (as I know them).
Went back to the room to sleep. Of course my room was right above the casino with the very loud music. Next to impossible to fall asleep. At 5:30 am I was woken up by the restaurant. They decided it was the perfect time to move all the furniture around. I couldn't get back to sleep so I got around 3 hrs sleep in total.
I complained at the front desk when I finally got out of bed and the person working there just looked at me. I went up to the restaurant to complain, there was no restaurant manager, and everyone in the restaurant did the same thing ... just looked at me. No apologies, no one thinking they had done anything wrong, was like talking to a wall.
I had the complimentary breakfast (toast and coffee) and watched the drug addicts hide from the rain in the shelter out the front of the hotel. I asked if I could have a take out cup so I could go back to the room and pack, to go to another hotel and the waiter told me it would cost me $1.50 US. (crazy)
Even though I paid for a night sleep, I got 3 hrs worth and no apology for the noise. There was no compensation at all, not even a coffee to go. Would have been much better off at any other hotel in the city.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 2nd floor you will have the Casino all night long and the restaurant at...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel & Casino Kamuk? Share your experiences!