“Not a 'best'” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 15 hotels in Quepos
Toronto, Canada
“Not a 'best'”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

What a horrible experience I had at this Best Western.
I arrived late at night, and there was vacancy at the Best Western. The door man watched me struggle to get my baggage out of the car and up the 3 ft. curb. Didn't lift a finger to help.
Check in was fine, the person at reception was very good and polite. Went up to the room and it smelled like something had been dumped on the floor a week ago. The person at the desk came up to the room, walked in and said "You're right, I'll get you another room". Moved across the hall. The beds in both rooms looked like they had been there since the 70's hard and old. Same with the everything else in the room (except the towels they were nice and new)
I went for a walk because the restaurant was closed. Drug addicts filled the streets, no warnings from the hotel staff.
When I came back I went to check out the casino. The one poker table was closed, and so were half the slot machines. That meant the casino consisted of 1 DJ playing music too loud, a Bar with 5 very drunk people sitting in front of it and about 15 working slot machines with about 8 people playing. Not really a casino (as I know them).
Went back to the room to sleep. Of course my room was right above the casino with the very loud music. Next to impossible to fall asleep. At 5:30 am I was woken up by the restaurant. They decided it was the perfect time to move all the furniture around. I couldn't get back to sleep so I got around 3 hrs sleep in total.
I complained at the front desk when I finally got out of bed and the person working there just looked at me. I went up to the restaurant to complain, there was no restaurant manager, and everyone in the restaurant did the same thing ... just looked at me. No apologies, no one thinking they had done anything wrong, was like talking to a wall.
I had the complimentary breakfast (toast and coffee) and watched the drug addicts hide from the rain in the shelter out the front of the hotel. I asked if I could have a take out cup so I could go back to the room and pack, to go to another hotel and the waiter told me it would cost me $1.50 US. (crazy)
Even though I paid for a night sleep, I got 3 hrs worth and no apology for the noise. There was no compensation at all, not even a coffee to go. Would have been much better off at any other hotel in the city.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 2nd floor you will have the Casino all night long and the restaurant at...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I took my family here, probably would have been a better guys only type thing, but the place was really clean, centrally located to town, and very nice and Cheaper than the hotels I found on the internet! Ok view from the restaurant, but nothing like the views from some of the hotels on the road to the beach. But, it was much cheaper and clean and everybody was super nice so I'd recommend it, especially for those wanting the night life!

Room Tip: If you don't want a lot of noise, I wouldn't recommend staying on the street side, you can s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Terrible noise 24/7; drunks screaming all night outside. Smelly rooms with linen and towels you wouldn't expect to find in a one star hotel! Mattresses that make you prefer sleep on the floor. The staff was correct, not very warm, they couldn't do anything to change anything to make the experience pleasant. Avoid it if you can! There are beautiful spots on the way to Manuel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atenas, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I'll start with the positives. Our room was clean and the bed comfortable. The hotel's staff are friendly, and we had a good experience booking a tour through the front desk. The food in the restaurant was good, or at least as good as one can expect in a country not known for its cuisine.

Now for the negatives.

The noise from the casino was so bad that our traveling companions had to move to a different room just to be able to sleep. Our room was under the restaurant, and we heard chairs and table being moved around every night at closing and again every morning before opening.

Although we could see the ocean from our balcony, the view was seriously limited by utility lines and poles. (I think this was also a factor in our never being able to connect to the free Internet service, so we were forced to use the computer in the hotel lobby to check e-mail.)

Lastly, the breakfast buffet consisted of store-bought orange juice - which, I'm sorry, but in a country where orange trees grow in people's yards is really unacceptable - with dry cereal and Costa Rica's version of Wonder bread for toasting. Additional items, like eggs, were available for purchase.

If you don't mind sleeping with earplugs, this one might be an option. Otherwise, move on down the road to Manuel Antonio with its wide array of suitable options.

Room Tip: If you have no other choice than to stay here, be sure to get a room on an upper floor per comments...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were very happy with the service from all staff members here, especially Cynthia at the front desk. Our first night we were facing the road and it was very noisy so the next night they moved us to a room on the 4th floor which was extremely quiet. Any questions we had we would call the front desk with no problems. The restaurant cooked up our fish we caught each day for us at an unbelievable price and they were all very friendly and on top of everything. As for the previous comment about the breakfast in the morning, you get what you pay for..... The breakfast is free and it was fresh fruit, bread, Juice, cereal etc. you can't expect it to be a gourmet breakfast. Quepos is one the safest places in all of central America and we traveled through all the countries. I would recommend this place to anyone it's half of the price of the best western in Jaco and twice as nice!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We arrived 10 min to 14.00, and as check-in time was 14.00, we were told to wait in the lobby, After 45 mins of waiting, we discovered the check-in staff had left and the new staff member wasn't informed. She did not have our reservation and found it unprocessed on the fax machine. After that, we could not get into our room, because the electronic key was not working properly. Eventually we managed, yet still have no clue why 9/10 times it did not work. The room was small, and right on the road. This meant a lot of noise that continued until dawn. The bathroom was nicely decorated, however our shower did not work well. Breakfast ok. Free internet terminal & free parking around the corner.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was in a room next to the restaurant storage on the third floor. The staff was excessively loud in conversing by the storage room. You could hear every box being moved around and all conversation. I asked the front desk person for the internet password and she provided me with the wrong password, and was very difficult to deal with when I called back stating that the password was incorrect. The second front desk person provided the correct internet password, but led me astray each time I asked questions about recommendations in the area or directions. They were not helpful at all. The room was very tiny, but provided hot water and was clean. AC worked. The area seemed very sketchy, would not recommend going out at night. Breakfast is included but nothing special.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel & Casino Kamuk? Share your experiences!