“Below average” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 56 Activities in Quepos
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: American Owner/Captain John will make sure all your needs are met on this 32 foot Ocean Master boat aptly named Stress Reeliever. We fish for all species found in this area, but specialize in Pacific Sailfish and Marlin. We offer all the newest in technology and gear on the boat, and have a complete set of Penn International Reels to get your big fish to the boat! Our electronics include all high end Furuno components, and we have a 2010 Cummins Diesel pushing us out to where the fish are!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Barriere, Canada
“Below average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had John's crew take us out last week. We reserved two boats for our group. Our boat broke down 30 minutes into our trip which was unfortunate but there was nothing that could of been done. We hooked a mahi mahi and a sail fish. On my boat I would have rated out trip 3 out of 5. The second boat we payed for didn't catch a fish. They had a couple bites but the guy manning the rods missed them because he was up on top talking to the guy driving the boat. Neither of the guys said one word to my group of guys during the entire trip. They actually had to make their own sandwiches and for this I would rate their experience as a 0 out of 5

Visited March 2013
jschuc, Owner at Quepos Fish Adventure Private Day Charters, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Wow, I don't know what to say. I was full so I referred these guys out to a different two boats. One boat had a problem so we sent out another boat to finish the day. It was a last minute reservation, and I just helped these guys get a boat, but they didn't really fish with us. We would never make anybody make their own sandwiches, that's just odd, I would bet if they asked for the sandwiches, any boat would have made them for them, no problem. Sorry you guys didn't have fun.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We fished with captain John last week. We had a blast. great service. Being able to communicate in English was priceless!
Would highly recommend. Look forward to getting back soon!

Fort Mill, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Good experience with a few hiccups”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We just got back from 3 full days of fishing. I would say that the experience was good and that you shouldn't hesitate to book your trip with Captain John. He and his crew really do try to get you fish. That being said, we had a few unexpected events during our trips.

First of all, my deposit was confirmed received last August, a full 7 months before our trip to Costa Rica. We planned to fish offshore, inshore and offshore again for our 3 trips. That too was confirmed in August. We also were confirmed to fish on the Stress Reeliver for the offshore trips and the Cowboy for our inshore trip.

When we arrived for our first day of offshore fishing, John's wife was waiting on the dock and she said we were fishing on the Cowboy. I told her that was incorrect and that we had booked offshore for the first day. She said that was right and that I might be thinking of the other Cowboy boat as there are two of them. When she took us to the Cowboy and we boarded, the mate said we would be fishing for rooster fish. I told him that we should be going offshore to fish for marlin. He started talking to the captain and then we had to turn the boat around to go back to the dock to talk to captain John. He said he thought we were booked inshore for the first day and that the offshore boat was already booked. I told him I know it was supposed to be offshore and it was confirmed in an e-mail. He said he would look at the e-mail later but asked if it would be ok if we would fish inshore for the day as he had that boat for another group. I felt we had no choice at that point so we fished inshore.

We had a good experience inshore even though we had a very slow start. We had no bites for the first 2 1/2 hours while all the other boats around us were pulling in multiple rooster fish. Then we moved to another area by ourselves and we started catching. We caught 8 nice rooster fish and I think it ended up being more than any other boat that day. Captain Jerry was very good and his mate Jason really tried although I think he was very inexperienced. He had trouble with every fish getting it in the net and I thought we were going to lose several at the boat.

The 2nd day of fishing we expected to go offshore on the Stress Reeliver of course, as confirmed by John just 2 days prior. We showed up and were met again by his wife and said John was running late because he had to pick up lunch for my wife as he didn't do it the night before. Again, to my surprise, the Stress Reeliver pulls up to the dock with a different captain and John's wife leads another group to board that boat. When John pulls up, it is in the Lone Star. I asked John why we weren't on the Stress Reeliver and he said this was his new boat and it was better. I had no way to compare as I hadn't been on either at that point so I took his word for it. I then asked if he had found my e-mail confirming the trips we booked. I had reread my e-mails after the first day and they read exactly as I remembered: offshore, inshore, offshore. He said he did read the e-mail but that someone else had gotten their deposit in just before I did and that he didn't realize the Stress Reeliver was already booked for them. Really? 7 full months before the trip and not once a mention to me that someone else already had the boat I was confirmed on? I think it was just a matter of him knowing we wouldn't have any other choice the morning of the first trip but to go inshore and it fit his schedule to do that. I didn't bother arguing with him as this is the guy that I was going to spend the day with to try to help us catch sailfish. We ended up catching 2 in the afternoon after zero bites in the morning. We did see a huge pod of spinner dolphins jumping in the morning, several hundred, which was pretty cool.

The 3rd day we were met by John on the dock. He said we would be fishing with Captain Mike on the Stress Reeliver because he needed to tend to his Lone Star boat which had mechanical problems. We had a lot of bites in the afternoon but only had one sailfish on the line. I fought it and brought it almost to the boat after several jumps but the mate grabbed the line and started to slowly pull. As he did, the fish made another run and the mate let go of the line. Since there was slack the fish pulled off immediately. The mate apologized and said it was his fault and that he shouldn't have let go. It was a disappointing day but they did try hard.

The only other thing I would say is both the Lone Star and the Stress Reeliver boats are slow (I had read this in one previous review). They are painfully slow. On the Stress Reeliver we were passed by 7 boats that left after us from the dock (we passed 0 boats). And not just casually passing us. They passed us like we were standing still and like they were serious to get to the fishing spot. It took us about 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to where we were going. I would say that the first boat that passed us had about a 30 minute head start fishing. If you want to get fishing quickly and get back to the dock quickly when the day is done, you'll want to find another charter. If you want a friendly crew that do their best to find you fish, this is the one for you. We did make up for the sluggish boats both days by staying out later than any other boat so we probably had the same amount of time fishing as the other boats. The only other thing I noticed is that we probably trolled the last 30 minutes to an hour in the direction of the dock, I'm sure to save us time getting back but may not have been the ideal place to catch fish. We didn't have any bites either day while trolling back like that.

Visited March 2013
jschuc, Owner at Quepos Fish Adventure Private Day Charters, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Glad you guys had fun.

Sorry for the hickups, i just bought a new cold molded boat, it on average catches double the fish of the other boat, so I moved you guys over to catch more fish. And compared to other boats that day, we did really well. Our company is always improving, 6 months ago I didn't think I could afford a cold molded boat, and as soon as I could, I bought it and moved everybody over to it. Wasn't a hickup, it was an upgrade. And we caught fish.

On the inshore, you guys released 8 large Roosterfish which is also more than any other boat that whole week, they were really careful with the net because the day you went the Roosterfishing was really tough and the only way to get them to bite was using 20 pound floro carbon leader and it is soo easy to break that off that they look awkward. I mean 30-50 pound fish on 20 pound line is tough, but they pulled it off 8 for 8. You guys were the only boat using that leader, it's way more expensive, and you guys were top boat out of 15 boats. It's not fair calling that a hickup either. And he was 8 for 8, you can only call someone inexperienced if they make mistakes. Also, keep in mind there were 2 boats that came in empty. Those guys were inexperienced.

I picked your wife the salad up at Subway in the morning because I thought it would be better fresh and not in the fridge overnight. The first day you guys said the Tuna tasted funny, so I thought I would get your stuff the morning of. Subway opens at 7 and I was there by 7 and subway was next door. I don't think any other company here would have taken orders for a local restaurant here and went around picking you guys up food. All other boats here do sandwiches and if you want something different you can bring it. Also, we are the only boat that tries to leave at 7, and we usually do. Everything here opens at 6, like ice bread etc, so 7 is tough, but i like as much fishing time as possible. We would have left at 7 if subway opened earlier. We were also the last boat in.

Also, our offshore price is 850 because our boats don't burn as much diesel as the 1800 dollar a day boats that were passing us. To go fast, you burn diesel and the faster you want to go the more diesel you burn. There are plenty of boats that are slower than ours, and they wouldn't pass us because most boats leave off of the dock at 7:30, I always try to get an early start. The guys that passed us burned more diesel than we charge for our trip. We got to the fishing grounds in an hour, and caught as many or more fish than everybody out there. And left much later, hence fished longer.

Glad you had fun, I usually do better with complaints, but you guys had three successful days of fishing, you guys asked for lots of favors, all of which we did, and we kicked everybody's butt at the fishing. I'm really glad we did really well or I'm sure this would have been a much tougher review...
New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“Great day with Captain John”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We are just back from out trip to Quepos, Costa Rica in early March. We were fortunate to discover Captain John on trip advisor. We had a thoroughly enjoyable day out on the water. We were able to catch a beautiful sailfish & a huge Mahi Mahi that was a delicious dinner that night,prepared at Barba Roja.
John was very friendly, coming down from the bridge to chat with us. Also his mate was very experienced with all that is needed to catch a large billfish.The mate also prepared lunch for us on the boat.
We had hoped for maybe more bites but it is really luck. Being in the right place at the right time.Great day, great captain & mate !

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
“GOOD CAPTAIN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went out on Capt. Johns new boat on March 1, 2013 . Fishing was very slow that day with alot of the boats not even catching anything but we managed to catch a huge mahi mahi (50+ lbs.) and a nice sailfish . He fishes vary hard and we were the last boat back at the end of the day ! I think its true that he wants to catch fish as much as his clients .... Would highly recommend .