“The best charter in Costa Rica!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 52 activities in Quepos
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: American Owner/Captain John will make sure all your needs are met on this 32 foot Ocean Master boat aptly named Stress Reeliever. We fish for all species found in this area, but specialize in Pacific Sailfish and Marlin. We offer all the newest in technology and gear on the boat, and have a complete set of Penn International Reels to get your big fish to the boat! Our electronics include all high end Furuno components, and we have a 2010 Cummins Diesel pushing us out to where the fish are!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
“The best charter in Costa Rica!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Let me start this review by stating that Capt. John's charter is the cheapest, best and most reliable purchase you will ever make. He is an American captain, bilingiual and is determined to make not only your fishing trip, but also your stay in Costa Rica the best vacation you have ever experienced. His rates, as many have stated are the most reasonable I have seen because you are booking directly through him. There are no hotel or website upsells since he will book you directly through his site. All that he requires is a $100 deposit via Paypal. He's one of the most knowledgable, friendly & honest captains I've ever met.....& I've fished down here 6 other times. He has a large boat and will guide you through whatever questions you may have concerning pricing, directions, hotel accommodations, etc. He is THAT good.

My buddy and I booked him and his phenomenal mate Michael for a full day and we only had a 40 minute breathtaking ride about 16-20 miles off Quepos, CR. The fishing was slow at first but he guaranteed us a few Sails. He was spot on. We landed our first by about 10-11 AM and hooked 5 more by 2 PM. It was such a great experience that I can't wait to get into his busy schedule again. He books out months but we were lucky to get him on a cancellation before we arrived.

We hooked up 8 times and my buddy and I were able to board 6 sails total (3 each) which was more than sufficient since we were exhausted by the end of the trip. The sun down here is fierce, especially while near the equator and fighting 100+ lb. Pacific Sailfish. This will be your trip of a lifetime and with Capt. John you won't be disappointed. Yes, there's always a chance that the fish aren't biting, but him and Michael will do anything possible to land you your dream fish. They are THAT good. The only advice I can give is to book less people on the boat and not split the souls on board since you have a better chance of sharing this phenomenal experience. Money should be no object at his prices! Tip Michael or the mate well....they work hard to bring up your dream fish! We'll be back and I will post some pics of the HUGE sails we caught! Pura Vida!

austin
4 attraction reviews
“Fun fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We had a great day fishing with John and Michael. I selected this company for a few reasons. John's pricing was the best I found on the Internet and he offers the service of trying to find a split on the boat which we did and got to enjoy the day with a fun couple from Florida. Also we were not required to prepay the whole trip as most company's require. A $100 paypal held our spot and if something happened that is all the $ we would be out, sending a $1000 to someone with a fishing boat in a foreign country just would be a little too risky from my perspective. The boat was in great shape. both my husband and I caught a sailfish, of course we would have liked a little more action but that's fishing. Just being out on the ocean all day was fantastic. We would definitely book with John again.

Eskil
“Great trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We were on the smaller boat, cowboy jr and fished inshore. They didnt have enough baitfish but it ended well anyway.
We got big roosterfish wich was my goal. We saw dolphins and whales, very nice.
Price for a full day was $550 including beer, soda, fruits and a big sandwich.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“3 AMAZING DAYS OF FISHING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We started our 1st day off with a giant striped Marlin caught by my 16 year old son Hunter than my 12 year old daughter Avery got into the action with her 1st sailfish. We double up on sails all three days, the mate Mike was really good setting hooks and working baits.(the best) John the Capt was very knowledgeable and professional and answered all my family questions for 3 long days of off shore fishing. i highly recommend the STRESS REELIVER to anyone fishing central costa rica. We stayed in JACO and drove to QUEPOS to fish. Great value and amazing once and a life time fishing. My Son went swimming with his Marlin & my Daughter caught us dinner with a big Mahi Mahi. Honest and good people working to make our experience perfect

Chicago, Illinois
“5 Sailfish and a Black Marlin!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Best fishing trip I've ever had. We went out and had constant action all day long! I have asked for just one billfish in the morning, and 20 minutes into the trip, we already had our first sailfish on the line! I was there with my children and we all got a sailfish each, and an extra one, and then I told the captain one more and we'll go to the house. Well, it was around 1 and we started trolling towards the house and we hit a huge black Marlin, captain John said around 300 pounds, and we fought it for 2 hours until we got it right next to the boat and it made a huge jump for us and the line came out. Awesome trip, couldn't have asked for anything more!

Visited August 2012