“Photos misleading, musty room.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Manuel Antonio Estates

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quepos
Manuel Antonio Estates
Save Saved
You added Manuel Antonio Estates to your Saves list
Manuel Antonio Estates, Quepos 12-6350, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 19 Specialty lodging in Quepos
Maine
“Photos misleading, musty room.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed in the eco-lodge/1 bed condo. The pool and grounds were very nice, but the room was not. The photos they have on their website are extremely misleading. They show bright, modern, and clean rooms, but ours was the opposite.
The furniture and decor of the room was extremely outdated and the room was dark and very musty and we were unable to ever get the smell out.
Since we are from the U.S., $100 per night seems like a great deal, but after traveling around Costa Rica we realized it wasn't. We stayed a nicer place for $40 per night, and another place we stayed which was $100 per night was like a 5-star B&B.
We had a great time in Quepos, but we avoided being in this room whenever we could.

My advice to people traveling to Costa Rica for the first time is don't book all your hotel nights in advance, travel around and find nice places where you want to stay. There are always vacancies (we were there over Christmas and there were plenty of vacancies at many hotels)

Room Tip: You will find better deal elsewhere! Hotels in Costa Rica are much cheaper than in the US and Canad...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently stayed at MAE on a vacation to Costa Rica, and had a lovely time with my family. While as some reviewers noted there is a bit of dustiness, I found the facilities to be perfectly clean. The price was also great, and we were able to see a lot of the local areas around Quepos easily. Make sure to ask for a room with a view!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

If you are looking for some type of hotel which has 0 dust and 0 dirt and round the clock butlers at your whim, this is definitely not the place for you. But this is kind of more like a local cozy environment, not the best in terms of cleanliness but I didn't really mind that much when I went with my girlfriend. We had the whole villa to ourselves! Excellent view and the rooms were a pretty decent size. Only problem is that I would have liked to live in one villa for a few days then another the next just to see what they were like - obviously kind of hard since there were other tenants at the time.
We only had time to go on about 3 of the tours offered but those were great enough to see and experience the natural environment surrounding us.
Remember not to bring food that the monkeys can steal from you :)
Also I would have liked it to be a little cheaper but I'm always stingy that way. I think if more people went it would make it more economical as you are paying for a whole house I assume you could fit as many people as you would like into it! Not that I have tried..

Room Tip: check out the website for this place to have a preview of the different villas available -each one i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 10 year anniversary and it was absolutely amazing. We stayed in the Romantic Wood Chalet for two weeks. We couldn't believe how wonderful the hotel was for only $750 per week, making it one of the least expensive vacation that we've taken. The place was a little smaller than we thought it would be, but was perfect otherwise. The website says 550sqft, so I suppose I should've expected it. The wildlife came near the hotel, but were never a nuisance. The staff was great and gave plenty of tips throughout our stay; without their guidance, I'm pretty sure that we would've been lost. We hiked in the rainforest near Manuel Antonio during the day and would relax on the veranda with cocktails in our hotel room in the evenings. The wife went to the spa while I golfed on a few of the days, both were top notch. The place really was like a fairy tale, I've been to Costa Rica two other times and this time was the best. As soon as we save a few bucks, we're headed back during the summer.

Room Tip: For an anniversary or honeymoon, I highly recommend staying in the Romantic Wood Chalet; to be fair...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I was in Costa Rica with my family for a wedding a few months ago, and after the wedding we were looking for somewhere more spacious to stay. We chose the estates, and their Toucan Villa. The villa was over 2000 square feet, and the flora and fauna surrounding were simply incredible. The view of the ocean from the house was incredible, and sitting in the hot tub, listening to the monkeys was a blast.

Our only issue on the trip was a bulb out in a lamp, but when we called the management they fixed it in an instant, so I was thoroughly impressed. They wouldn't even fix it that fast at the four seasons.

I've been all around Central America, so let me offer one piece of advise. Absorb the culture. Sometimes when you visit a luxurious place like the estates you get complacent. Some of the best food I've ever eaten has been street food. Some of the most fun I've had in my lifetime has been had while engaging with locals... And now back to the review.

The villa was great, but to all you fellow world travelers out there, be active. Quepos was one of the most perfectly designed places for an active lifestyle I've ever been to. There are some awesome hiking trails in the park that I'd highly recommend visiting, and if you miss the snorkeling, you're missing out big time. That was my family's favorite activities.

The MA estates are definitely on my list of places to come back to, and if you follow my advice, you'll love it just as much.

Room Tip: Next time I go, I want to try the Manakin Villa. Ours was great, but that looked like a huge villa...
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Oshawa, Ontario, Can
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for the month of oct and nov in an Eco condo at MAE while I attended school in Quepos. I loved the condo and the views. The monkeys every morning on the roof was my Costa Rican alarm clock.
The pool was under renovations the duration of my stay here but I was informed before my stay.
Jessica my housekeeper was very sweet and accommodating:)
The location was great for me, bus stop was 2 mins walk, the beach was a 10 min bus ride and my school was a 8 min walk
I had a great time here and would return, if you don't have a car and are walking , there is a large steep hill to climb up to the condos and a lot of stairs:)

• Stayed October 2012
Pinehurst, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Our family recently spent 8 wonderful days in the Villa Jacana. We loved the monkeys on the deck, the 3 toed sloth in the tree and endless visits from the Iguanas. Our stay was made even better by the great care that we received from the office and the daily help that was provided.
Thank You to the staff of Manuel Antonio Estates for making our family adventure a success!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Manuel Antonio Estates? Share your experiences!