“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

50m South and 100m East from Super Costa, Puntarenas 60111, Costa Rica   |
Kelowna
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

A definite must stay! The property is amazing and the staff and animals treat you more like family than guests. From the authentic bbq meals with local ingredients you MUST eat . Max the owner is great and very helpful with anything to navigating the local town to getting to the nest destination. Overall a great place to stay and very affordable.
Thanks Max and Fatima!

Room Tip: private rooms are ideal
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I rarely find that a hostel kitchen is clean enough to make full meals in, but the one at Kokua is spotless, and the supermarket is right around the corner, so we were able to make all our meals at the hostel. The owners and staff are friendly and helpful, the location is great, and the hostel itself is clean and beautiful! If you're looking for a beach vacation, Santa Teresa and Kokua hostel are definitely the places to go!

• Stayed August 2014
San Ramón, Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I went with a friend by the weekend and we had a great time! Joaquin, Fatima and Maximo are the most helpful and nicest hostages. The hostel is like a home and the rooms and bathrooms are very clean. It has a good location, when you can go walking everywhere and the bus stop is just in front of the street. One night, Joaquin invite everybody to a friend's bakery opening and we had a great time drinking cocktails, eating and hanging around with others vacationist. We're definitely going back to kokua as soon as we can.

Room Tip: You can a choose a private room or a share room.
Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Kokua hostel, what a place! I luckily stumbled on this hostel when I went to Costa Rica in April. I arrived at kokua after a long bus ride from San Jose and staff were there to greet me. The rooms are clean and the kitchen and living area are open air concept- which is perfect in a location like Santa Teresa. Overall, this was a great place to stay. Staff were friendly and helpful and there was always something fun going on. I would recommend this place for any chill traveller :)

• Stayed April 2014
Gouda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've been in Kokua hostel in June 2014 for three weeks. I had an amazing time! Every time I came back to the hostel I felt like I came home. We cooked and surfed together and watched a lot of movies in the night. And of course we followed the world cup. If you need any help, Fatima and Maximo are willing to help you. I hope I come back soon!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The hostel is far from clean, the rooms are extremely small (no space for your things), The bathrooms are dirty. The worst thing by far is that the mattress and bedding smells of mold. I was disgusted to put my face on the bedding. I forced myself to sleep there the 1st night because we arrived late but left the following day! Shocking!

Room Tip: Try and find somewhere else to stay unless you dont mind the comments i made in the description.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Maximo684, Owner at Kokua Hostel Santa Teresa, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hey Alexia,

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations.

We try very hard to keep our rooms and common areas clean and tidy for all of our guests to enjoy. I remember you coming in a busy time, with a full house. You were the first person to tell us about the smelly pillow and mattress and we took immediate action by replacing them. As far as the bathrooms, it must have been an isolated incident since we have a daily routine of checking upon them every few hours. We are happy to know you still enjoyed our place by coming after your checkout to hang out with us all.

Pura Vida

Maximo
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I planned to stay here for 2 days but ended up over a week. The hostel was a great place to relax and very close to the beach for good surfing and plenty of sun bathing. The hostel owners were excellent at their jobs and were very helpful. I hope to go back to the hostel in December and stay for another week. P.s. The hostel has 2 cute dogs which was a highlight of my stay.

Room Tip: Book in advance to guarantee a room or dorm.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Kokua Hostel Santa Teresa? Share your experiences!