“Fun times :)” 5 of 5 stars

50m South and 100m East from Super Costa, Puntarenas 60111, Costa Rica   |
Calgary
“Fun times :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Kokua hostel, what a place! I luckily stumbled on this hostel when I went to Costa Rica in April. I arrived at kokua after a long bus ride from San Jose and staff were there to greet me. The rooms are clean and the kitchen and living area are open air concept- which is perfect in a location like Santa Teresa. Overall, this was a great place to stay. Staff were friendly and helpful and there was always something fun going on. I would recommend this place for any chill traveller :)

• Stayed April 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Gouda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I've been in Kokua hostel in June 2014 for three weeks. I had an amazing time! Every time I came back to the hostel I felt like I came home. We cooked and surfed together and watched a lot of movies in the night. And of course we followed the world cup. If you need any help, Fatima and Maximo are willing to help you. I hope I come back soon!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The hostel is far from clean, the rooms are extremely small (no space for your things), The bathrooms are dirty. The worst thing by far is that the mattress and bedding smells of mold. I was disgusted to put my face on the bedding. I forced myself to sleep there the 1st night because we arrived late but left the following day! Shocking!

Room Tip: Try and find somewhere else to stay unless you dont mind the comments i made in the description.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Maximo684, Owner at Kokua Hostel Santa Teresa, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hey Alexia,

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations.

We try very hard to keep our rooms and common areas clean and tidy for all of our guests to enjoy. I remember you coming in a busy time, with a full house. You were the first person to tell us about the smelly pillow and mattress and we took immediate action by replacing them. As far as the bathrooms, it must have been an isolated incident since we have a daily routine of checking upon them every few hours. We are happy to know you still enjoyed our place by coming after your checkout to hang out with us all.

Pura Vida

Maximo
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I planned to stay here for 2 days but ended up over a week. The hostel was a great place to relax and very close to the beach for good surfing and plenty of sun bathing. The hostel owners were excellent at their jobs and were very helpful. I hope to go back to the hostel in December and stay for another week. P.s. The hostel has 2 cute dogs which was a highlight of my stay.

Room Tip: Book in advance to guarantee a room or dorm.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Kokua is an awesome find! Everyone is very nice, cool, and chill. The place is clean, well taken care of, calm, and laid back. The staff was happy to help whenever I had any questions or needed to figure something out. It's a very respectful and special place. I highly recommend it for Santa Teresa travelers, and will return if and when I come back to Paradise!

Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Don't be fooled by it's size, this hostel has so much characteristic and such a unique set up that it's easy to meet people and feel comfortable. The beds and bathrooms served their purpose. The owners and staff were awesome, really laid back and helpful. We had a BBQ with pretty much everyone staying at the hostel it was a great way to meet everyone staff and travellers alike. We all then went out to a popcular club not too far of a walk away and had an awesome night out. The set up is really nice, its very colourful with a huge kitchen area and backyard with lots of hammocks to hang out in. It was a quick walk to the beach, I have nothing bad to say!! If you're hitting up Santa Teresa you should stay here!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed at the Kokua Hostel in Santa Teresa in June and it was the best hostel we stayed at for the whole trip. The rooms and bathrooms may have been nicer at other hostels, but the atmosphere at Kokua is really great to meet people and hang out on a rainy day. There is a big kitchen/dining area where almost everyone cooks and eats in. BBQ area as well. A lady comes to clean up every day, so it stays neat. The staff is very nice and helpful if you are looking for things to do, and even offered to include us in their dinner plans on several nights of our stay. I would definitely recommend staying here if you are in Santa Teresa and want to meet good people. As a note, if you do an extended stay the staff may (probably will) reduce the rate per night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puntarenas
Hotel Praiamar
Monteverde Inn
Monteverde Inn
#4 of 21 in Monteverde
4.5 of 5 stars 15 reviews

Been to Kokua Hostel Santa Teresa? Share your experiences!