“Quaint oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Puntarenas B&B and Inns
Hungry Horse, Montana
“Quaint oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Very clean hotel with relaxing pool area and great location. We had a car but really did not need it once we arrived. Michael and his staff are very kind and helpful. The ocean is just across the street and the ferry is only a couple of blocks over. Great Value!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Michael welcomed us enthusiastically to his hotel. Its a 8 min walk from the ferry, which is the main reason tourists come to this town. The room was clean, with cable TV, A/C, fridge and hot plates. There is a pool with a pleasant open area around it to relax. The hotel is opposite a boardwalk that overlooks the ocean.

Stayed April 2013
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

So difficult to review this hotel because it's not luxurious (if you are looking for that), BUT ....overall WHO CARES! This is a great place to stay because the owner - Michael - makes your stay pleasant. He doesn't "eat out" much so don't expect restaurant reviews - DO EXPECT excellent service and kindness (including good advice about any little old emergency you might encounter). Puntarenas isn't our idea of a "destination vacation" but this hotel makes it better than you might expect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I went to Puntarenas to meet a cruise ship that my brother and his wife would be on visiting Puntarenas. What a pleasant surprise to find Michaels Surfside Hotel on the internet before I went there. The hotel is very clean, well managed and strong on customer service. The pool and patio was great with a nice ocean breeze for the hot afternoons to relax. I ended up saying beyond my brothers departure because of the hotel. Many places to eat and shop or just to stroll on the beach. It is a beach hotel, but one of the best I have ever stayed in and I'm from Florida. I will be back for many more getaway trips to the beach.

Room Tip: Being single I had a small room there is one iwth a balcony view of the pool, excellent....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Weed, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We spent a few days in Puntarenas. We were very lucky to find Michael's Surfside Hotel. Michael, as well as his friendly staff, made us feel right at home. The hotel is very clean, quiet, and right across the street from the beach. We highly recommend it. If we go back that way, we'll definitely stay at Michael's.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

One of the worst experiences on our trip to Costa Rica. Yes, we came late on short notice, there were no any good rooms available, and i wasnt really expecting five stars room. The guy that opened the door of the place to us, for what we are thankful, talked to my wife, and she agreed to the room he gave us, but only if wifi is working. He promised that to her, so i went to park the car. There was only one car parked there, and i parked maybe one meter from it. First problem. I reparked as close as possible to that car, probably his... Then we all went to the room together. 55 buck, room smelled like somebody just finished grilling hamburgers, "ac" was probably 40 years old and miniature, everything was rustic in negative way. Of course, wifi didnt worked. I have tried both, my laptop and my smartphone. What was Michaels response? He said to us to get out of the room and try to get the signal and then go back to the room. What a genius! I told him that wifi isnt working, he accused me that im arguing with him, and that was it. Give me my money back, ill rather sleep in my car. Bad, bad, experience. Location? Yes, its near the "beach", if you can call that moody strip a beach. Terrible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hammerheadswamp, Owner at Michael's Surfside Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
This customer was at my hotel for about 20 minutes. He did not want to connect to the Free WiFi in the manor I suggested. He would not even try. The price $55 is about 1/2 of what the other hotels on the beach are charging. He made a mess of my hotel room. When he started speaking to me in a belligerent, condescending and rude manor I gave him back his money and asked him to leave.
I reserve my right to deny service to people who feel I am here to be their verbal punching bag.
I encourage people to leave reviews. But this has no base or value.
Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Michael's place is very clean, from the room's to the pool area and back to the parking lot and yard around it. He takes pride in his work. It's a great location for whatever your looking for, resturants, casinos, the coolest catamaran iv'e ever been on and good nightlife. You gotta check it out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Michael's Surfside Hotel? Share your experiences!