“Sad” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mapi's Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puntarenas
Mapi's Cabins
3.5 KM From Paquera Ferry | Paquera, Puntarenas 60105, Costa Rica   |
Miami
“Sad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

It was suppose to be our BIG vacation and it was but for this one bump in the road. We were headed out to Malpais and then up the Coast but before we left the State decided not to be in a hurry so we looked up the this place. I saw the review about the place more less being a bump and their website being misleading, god wasn't it the TRUTH. I guess that the biggest disappointment was the distance to the beach, and yes lady I did google map it. Unfortunately Google map does not count for mud roads that climb over vertical mountains that have huge mud holes and dead trees crossing them. Then after the 26 min drive to the closest on the beach was so so so dirty from the garbage that floats down the rivers from San Jose that I would not let my kids out of the car. Rooms do have a/c but that was the only upside to this place. But the good news is that they gave us a refund on the second night that we paid for and was told that they understand. This was still our big vacation and had a great time at other places!!!! Costa Rica is Pura Vida just not this place..........

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
nildib, Owner at Mapi's Cabins, responded to this review, August 21, 2009
Sad, to also hear about your experience! Unfortunately, this is typical of third world countries and we have no control, on how and "when", they maintain their roads or their public beaches etc... I was recently informed, Playa Organos was being cleaned during the end of July. In regards to the garbage at the beach, we have no control over that either, which is an occurring problem during "Rainy Season" bringing down the garbage of the city with over flow of rivers. Most of the groomed beaches are by the Resorts but you will end up paying more for accommodations there, when you could easily drive there and spend a day.

We are located within "walking" distance to a typical native town. The Bus stop is right across the street, which takes you to Cobano, Mal Pais, Montezuma etc. We are also nearby the Ferry and within doable time, to other beaches, rivers and Curu Reserve. With the economy today, the accommodations are as simple as possible to keep the overhead costs down, to be able to continue offering our guests affordable nightly rates, not excluding shampoo, liquid hand soap, clean linen, towels, AC, Hot Water, Plasma TV with cable, Mini Fridges and daily maid service which are some exceptional conveniences, that most cabins do not offer in the area and for those that do have compatible conveniences, we will gladly beat their rate!

Playa Organos is the closest beach to us, when roads are fixed and cleaned we have gotten there in aprox. 6 minutes but agree, would think, 15 min at the most during Rainy Season, it's why I'm thinking, maybe you went to some other beach or maybe even another cabin? Since there are so many cabins and beaches around like Playa Pajaro, Playa Tambor, Playa Pochote, all are about 25-40 minutes away from us depending on road conditions but at any rate, if you say, it took 26 minutes to get to Playa Organos, I cannot disregard it completely, due to the exceptional conditions of Rain falls, anything is possible in Costa Rica but still this time factor of 26 min. is doable. Rainy season is not the recommended time to visit Costa Rica but the best time to take advantage of the lowest prices and some visitors are still fortunate finding the weather or conditions of other certain areas still quite beautiful and acceptable but dealing with mother nature and third world politics, we cannot guarantee the normal time travel and conditions which become inconsistent when dealing with such issues...

We take your opinions to heart and we strive to make it as pleasant as we can for our guests to change what we do have in control. Which is why we value your honest "specific" observations about the conditions of our "Cabins or Restaurant", which you mention very little of and yet, was still refunded a night's stay...

Mostly as absent owners, your specific comments will help us to see where reasonable improvements to the "Cabins or Restaurant" could be addressed... Recently, we followed up with a comment of bugs in one of the rooms, taking further measures by fumigating, putting rubber bottom weather stripping of doors and still in future process of filling crevices of doors, weather stripping all around the doors and screening windows to further improve the situation.

Please keep the reviews coming, hoping your next visit will be a happy one. May the bump on the road, stay on the roads of Costa Rica and not at Mapi's but I do agree with you, it's still, all "Pura Vida" in Costa Rica! Nilda Bienes (Property Owner)

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
guesswhofu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

The website is very misleading when it says the beach is only 3-5mins away, the only way to make that happen is in a plane. The room where substandard, but they do have a/c.. I can not say anything about the food because I didn´t dare eat there after seeing the huge bugs in our room. The only reason I can think off for you to stay in that town is if you missing the ferry.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
nildib, Owner at Mapi's Cabins, responded to this review, June 11, 2009
My apologies that you did not feel as comfortable as most of our guests... the rooms are cleaned daily but if you leave any food in can or on floor at night, bugs will get in through crevices which is sometimes beyond our control and a natural part of the environment of Costa Rica but if you would ask for housekeeping, I'm sure it would have been taken care of right away. Being they are cabins this has not been a main issue for our guests, they are so pleased with AC and Hot water that most cabins don't offer and you don't need a plane but any search engine, will support that the nearest beach to Paquera is Playa Organos at only 5km away and Curu Reserve 6km... It's too bad you missed the food, our other reviews rave about it being the best they ever had but we understand, we can't please everybody when feeling challenged in third world countries... Again, it seems you don't need a plane but a plan, if given a chance and just asked, we'd been very helpful with that too, like another guest review stated but some people, prefer to keep on driving... it's all good in Costa Rica, Pura Vida!
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My friends and I stopped here for lunch en route to our next destination and ended up having such a nice time that we stayed for a few hours. My plantain and bean dish was among the most delicious meals I had during an entire week's vacation. The staff was very down to earth and friendly, and they even helped us with tips and directions which proved to be incredibly useful...we might not have made it to our next destination without their help!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Washington DC & Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

My experience at Mapi's was excellent. The staff was very friendly, I ate some of the best food I'd had my entire vacation at their restaurant, and the rooms were quite comfortable, coming with such luxuries as ice-cold AC and showers with hot water. My room was clean and well kept, and the beds were comfortable. The location is great as well, just a quick hop to the ferry to/from the Nicoya Peninsula. I'd definitely recommend Mapi's to my friends and family.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mapi's Cabins? Share your experiences!