“A Great Rainforest Lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bosque del Rio Tigre

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Jimenez
Bosque del Rio Tigre
You added Bosque del Rio Tigre to your Saves list
300 m SE de Escuela Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Salem, Oregon
“A Great Rainforest Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Bosque del Rio Tigre is a truly special place that will appeal to birders or anyone with an interest in nature. The lodge is set amidst the rainforest and and feels a part of it, yet is comfortable, clean, and has excellent food. Liz and Abraham are wonderful hosts, and the place has a relaxed, intimate feel. Feeders draw in hummingbirds, tanagers, doves, and even a motmot! Little tinamou and blue ground dove were feeding right next to the lodge on a couple mornings, and toucans and turqoise cotingas were spotted with from the front step. Short trails around the lodge afforded a wide variety of additional sightings, including poison dart frogs, iguanas, and boat-billed herons. We spent three nights there and I wish we had had more, as it is one of the best places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Bosque del rio Tigre is the most extraordinary place I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. We arrived in heavy rain. The 4WD taxi that ordinarily fords the river couldn't -- the river was too high. So, we were ferried across in yellow inflatable kayaks by host Abraham. We were soon settled in our room: the outside walls are half walls so the room is open to the jungle. Wide eaves protect from rain; mosquito netting protects from bugs at night. The lodge, designed by host Liz and largely constructed by Liz and Abraham, is beautifully detailed; the beds are among the best I've slept in; the linens are crisp and smooth. Food is delicious and healthy -- lots of green salads, fruit, homemade bread. Everything is spotless. Liz and Abraham are perfect hosts.
All this on a few hours of solar-powered electricity a day!
Adding to all this, the lodge is a bird-watcher's paradise. We saw many life birds simply sitting on the veranda, even in pouring rain. The property also contains a number of trails, and Abraham is one of the best guides I've met. Having lived in the area most of his life, he knows every bird, frog, insect, snake, and plant, and is very patient with those of us who sometimes have trouble seeing what's in front of their eyes.
We stayed at the lodge during record rains (almost continuous for four days), which resulted in lots of sticky mud on our shoes and clothing; the toilets (spotless) are shared; the showers (lots of hot water!) are in a separate building. None of that mattered. It was our favorite place on the entire trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

As a 'city-girl' traveling alone on my first visit to Costa Rica and first time birding in the tropics I made Bosque del Rio Tigre the center of my trip - staying there for 5 nights in February 2011 - and it was the perfect choice for me. Hosts Liz & Abraham made me feel right at home in their lovely lodge, nestled in the midst of the rain forest, and were eager to share their knowledge of and respect for its wonders. So many birds - I saw over 160 species! They were almost all new to me, and I enjoyed the 'common' ones along with the rarities. Because everything is open directly to the forest, it was a constant challenge to get anything done (eating, writing a journal, taking a shower) without being distracted by a nearby bird, butterfly, lizard or monkey. What a great problem.

Knowing a group would arrive during part of my stay, I was housed in the little cabina, set apart from the main lodge. I initially wondered if I'd be afraid of sleeping 'out there' all by myself, but instead found it entirely charming, and definitely missed the all-night jungle music after I left. The cold water shower was refreshing after a hot hike (the lodge itself has some hot water showers), and there was even a reading light over my bed - though no electrical sockets, as the lodge is solar power only.

The food was delicious, the staff attentive and the guides were great. (Thanks, Abraham, Scott & Liz.) Whether I was the only guest or one of several, my preferences were requested and taken into account. I'm so glad I stayed long enough not only to see a zillion birds but to see many of them more than once and learn more about them.

If you want room service, air conditioning and a spa, go to Miami Beach. But if you want a close-up look at the wonderful flora & fauna of the Osa rainforest, with expert local guidance & warm hospitality, then pack your sense of adventure & some good binoculars and try out Bosque del Rio Tigre. Please tread lightly and support preservation of such natural treasures whenever/however you can.

Room Tip: Reserve early - maximum of 10 guests.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stayed 4 nights at the Bosque Del Rio Tigre Lodge. This was by far the best spot for birding. The guides (Abrahm, Scott & Eulices) were excellent and knew where to find specific birds. The food was some of the best in all of Costa Rica- 5 star restaurant quality! The lodge is comfortable and the staff is very hospitable. Anyone who is into birding, nature and wildlife should definately make the trip to Osa and stay with Liz & Abrahm.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

As we look at our photos of the endangered Yellow-billed Cotinga, the bawdy Scarlet Macaws, the Fiery-billed Aracaris and the sweet Riverside Wrens, we are reminded of our four absolutely wonderful nights as guests of Abraham and Liz at Bosque del Rio Tigre. This almost wall-less wilderness retreat is not only at the end of the road, but at the end of the road and across the river, so it is quite amazing that the meals are among the best we had in Costa Rica--with tuna and shrimp entrees perfectly cooked and presented by the light of candles and to the music of the river. Abraham is an outstanding bird guide, with abundant skill for the expert birder and patience for the novice. An amazing array of birds come to the four sides of the lodge, all while you lounge in a hammock or nurse coffee at the dining table. Liz is a pampering hostess, in spite of the challenges of operating a facility in a remote location in the damp of the tropical rainforest. They do offer guides for day trips but we would heartily recommend staying at the lodge so you can also enjoy its unique ambiance, abundance of birds, delicious meals and gracious host and hostess.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Lamont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We have been traveling to Costa Rica for over 10 years and have been all around the country for many extended trips. Bosque Del Rio Tigre is tops on our list and we continue to return regularly. Abraham is absolutely the best guide anywhere in Costa Rica. He has extensive knowledge of not only the birds and wildlife but also plants, trees and anything in the forest. He knows where to find rare birds, frogs, animals or anything you might be looking for. Liz and Abraham both are amazing people and very personable. They pay close attention to their guests needs and run a very clean comfortable lodge. The food is amazing and very well prepared. All of the staff at the Lodge are very courteous, kind and you can tell that they enjoy working at the Lodge

The river that runs by the lodge is amazing. Nice cool water with very nice places to sit down in the water like a natural whirlpool. It is very refreshing after a day hike to relax in the river and cool off.

The trails on the property are very well maintained and are full of all kinds of birds and wildlife. For those that do not want to wander far, you can sit in the lodge and see plenty. The mountains are unbelievable and have primary rain forest with spectacular trees and views. This area borders Corcovado National Park but you will not have the heavy tourist traffic. This area offers the visitor the opportunity to experience everything that the park has to offer and more in very comfortable accommodations without groups of tourists frightening the birds and wildlife away. This area is just pristine real Costa Rica at its best. If you have been around Costa Rica for a while then you will know that this is a rare find.. Bosque Del Rio Tigre is on the top of our list every year for more reasons than I could possibly list here. I could not recommend this lodge any more and words simply do not do it justice. If you are even considering a trip to the Osa Peninsula or you are interested in experiencing Costa Rica at its best then do not miss out on this gem of a Lodge in Paradise

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

My husband & I spent 3 nights at Bosque del Rio Tigre. We were return guests & always stay in the small cabina with private bath. All the rooms are always kept clean, spotless, & mold free which is a hard task in the rain forest with the moisture.

The owners, Liz & Abraham, are always kind, friendly & a joy to be around. Abraham is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge regarding wildlife, birds, medicinal plants, etc. He can point out birds & animals one would never find on their own. He does most of the dinner cooking & the meals are amazing. Liz runs the administrative part of the business & is the person you will communicate with by email. She also is the one who goes into town & takes care of their business needs that require a trip to Puerto Jiminez. Most of the local staff have been working there for years and remembered my husband & I (and even remembered our peculiar eating preferences). Hats off to all of the staff there!! They do a wonderful job.

The environment around the lodge is to die for. The birds, monkeys, & other wildlife you will have a chance to see / photograph is right there at the lodge's doorstep. I am not able to go hiking around due to medical problems & get amazing photographs everytime I go there. The river which borders the property is crystal clear & a treat to cool off in on a hot day.

If you are looking for a quiet, secluded place to get in touch with nature with amazing views & wildlife, this is the place!! But remember, this is the rain forest.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Bosque del Rio Tigre? Share your experiences!