“Good family operated business” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 21 Activities in Puerto Jimenez
Daytona Beach, Florida
“Good family operated business”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Great Tour at Matapalo saw lots of wildlife with Juan Carlos. Orlando took us on a canopy tour was great fun. Eric arranged for us to go to Golfito and go on another canopy tour with much higher platforms..was a lot of fun. We also went to La Palma beach area that Orlando was so nice to take us to. They made our trip to the Osa an extra special time.

Visited July 2014

Leverett, Massachusetts
“Can Anybody Call Themselves A Tour Outfit?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

This kayak tour felt like sheer robbery. I paid $40 for a tour I could have done better by myself. When I arrived at the beach, I was met by a man who only spoke Spanish even though when I paid for the tour, Eric, the owner of the company, never asked me if I needed an English speaking guide. The man at the beach introduced himself and then gave me a child-sized life jacket. I said I needed a bigger one. The tour was supposed to include dry bags, water and fruit. There was none of that. The guide paddled through the mangroves without pointing out anything. I said in Spanish I was interested in birds. He saw one and named it incorrectly. At that point, I said the tour was not what I was told it would be and wanted to go back and talk to Eric. The guide then started paddling back and left me quite a distance from him in open water. This was not only unprofessional. It was dangerous. The following day I went to the office and complained to Eric. He had many excuses for what happened but now I just read another review and, no surprise, some similar complaints.

Visited December 2013
KINGSTON
11 attraction reviews
“Not the greatest kayaking outfit in the world”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We chose Escondido Trex because it was in the Lonely Planet book and we happened to be walking by the shop front on our way back to our apartment after supper.
The fellow who was manning the desk that evening was a school teacher who was picking up some extra income during the school break. He was very helpful and appeared quite knowledgeable.
The next day all of the people on our "Mangrove and sunset kayak tour" met at the shop. We should have figured out the quality of the outfit when they didn't have enough transport to get our party of five paddlers down to the boats.
The sit on top kayaks that we found at the beach had seen much better days but at least looked like they would float. Our guide was a local young fellow who was pleasant enough but didn't seem to have any training as a guide or group leader.
The first stop on our trip was to look at crocodiles. Somehow I hadn't imagined that we'd beach the kayaks and sneak in behind a resort to a mud hole in the jungle. We didn't see any crocodiles but that's probably a good thing because I wouldn't want them living near the hotel with the constant loud noise from the guy with the leaf blower (great atmosphere).
Eventually we were back in the kayaks and did manage to paddle through a mangrove at high tide. The paddling was at a very relaxed pace which was about right for the people in our group who had never paddled a kayak before. The guide wasn't very helpful in pointing out the things we were looking at.
Near the end of the trip we stopped at a local beach and had a chance to go for a swim and wait for the sun to set (which I imagine was quite beautiful if I had been standing on the west side of the jungle and not the eastern shore of the beach). We had some sliced fruit at the beach, delightfully arranged on a dirty old fiberglass kayak drywell cover.
We then proceeded to paddle back around the point to a point where we were told we might be able to see dolphins. There may have been dolphins but we'll never know because it was dark by then.
Eventually we reached shore and helped our guide carry the kayaks back to where they lock them up for the night. At that point our guide wished us well and a friend brought him a bike and they left the tour group to walk back to town.
My wife and I have kayaked for years so I wasn't too concerned about our safety but I wasn't so confident for the other three people on our tour who had never kayaked before. A few safety devices with the tour guide (such as a floating throw rope and a signaling device (since we were on open water in the dark) would have been appropriate. Even an extra paddle for our group would have been a good idea given the beginner status of most of our group. No dry bags were provided.
I'd recommend checking out other kayaking outfits before going with Escondido Trex. Not a very professional outfit.

Visited February 2014