“excellent location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge

Save Saved
You added Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge to your Saves list
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Parque Nacional Piedras Blancas, Puerto Jimenez 1000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Amriswil, Switzerland
“excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

we spent 2 days in this nice Location. a lot of real untouched nature, birds, animals were very close. we get a very good view/Impression of the jungle. all People were very friendly and helpfull and the Food was also very good. this Location is a must on trip in Costa rica.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NicuesaLodge, Owner at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review about Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge. Two days is a short trip, so we're happy you were able to immerse yourselves in the jungle and nature. We're thrilled you gave us a 5-star review -- thank you! Safe travels back to Switzerland, and come visit us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My two teen age children and I travel many times a year. Never have we experienced a more perfect vacation. Nicuesa nicely keeps you in touch with nature while affording you all the comforts of home. Jose and Eric kept my 14 year old son enthralled the entire trip.. from waterfall hikes, to night hikes, endless fishing trips and to jumping off the dock at night to swim with the bio-luminescent organisms. Never have we wanted to repeat a vacation ... we'd gladly return to Nicuesa .. and could easily have kept ourselves busy for two weeks. I can't begin to fathom any negative comments on this resort - every staff went above an beyond to cater to our needs - thanks to all for making it an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Crocodile cabin was superb.. quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks back to you and your family for having an amazing experience! Feel free to repeat your vacation with us any time. We try our best to let our guests have whatever kind of vacation they want -- active, adventurous, relaxing, soul-searching, yoga-focused, honeymoon, immersed in nature, etc. Thank you for your room tip to other travelers and your kind words about our staff!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My one week stay at Nicuesa was unbelievable..it was so many things..relaxing, challenging, peaceful, invigorating, inspiring, therapeutic, soul strengthening, magical. The boat ride in was like something out of a book. On the boat ride in, you'd never even know there was anything there. The native tropical flowers & greenery were awe inspiring as soon as you set foot out of the boat & it continues throughout the property. The trails through jungle just behind the lodge offered the opportunity to take an easy stroll, a night walk, or a brave vigorous hike (which was an intense, steep trail/stair climbing hike..awesome!!)  Despite the jungle critters, the animals & birds around the lodge were absolutely breathtaking..hummingbirds galore, tucans, white faced monkeys, howler monkeys..and soo many other types of birds & wildlife I'd never seen before..but I never felt threatened by any of them, even the howler monkeys at 5 am!! (who sound like gorillas but could care less about humans). I primarily went for a quiet secluded getaway to do some soul searching & as much yoga as I could fit in. My teacher Analu was amazing. She was so sweet & often found myself in 1:1 sessions with her as there weren't many people there who faithfully went every class like I did. Analu was an inspiration to me I so many ways, whether it was to check out an amazing book or try a new form of yoga, she was someone I will never forget. The yoga platform is inches from the water & the trees & extended roof  shelter you from any rain storm that happens to blow through. Hammocks galore..not only in the main lodge but by the yoga platform, and the hammock swing chair in my cabin was a perfect spot for relaxing & taking in the sights & sounds of the beautiful jungle or the waves from the beach just steps away!! Housekeeping was so attentive, thorough & pleasant. The Manager, Joe, was so helpful and always around to ask questions or to help set up any guided or self driven activity I wanted to do. Veronica, the Sustainability guide, was very informative and knowledgable about the lodge, the surrounding environment and how to not only preserve it but be part of the sustainability process while not only staying at the lodge, but also how to use the strategies in my everyday life back home (i.e. now i don't dry my clothes with my dryer but I hang them in my homemade drying rack area to use the suns energy & save on electricity!) The bartender,  Mello, was more than accommodating, as I often found myself stopping into the bar to try another refreshing concoction on my way back to my cabin, or a night cap to end another perfect day in paradise, he always greeted me by name with a smile & served some of the tastiest drinks I've ever had! The kitchen & waitstaff were very friendly and always there to provide yet another amazing healthy meal, to clear my plate, ask if I wanted seconds or if I was ready for dessert. Breakfast & lunch are available during 2 hour windows to give you the freedom to sleep in or to participate in whatever activities you choose without missing a meal. The family style dinner was a nice compliment to the other meals as we all sat together to take in the laughter & smiles as we all shared our stories or pictures from the day. I met some amazing people from all over the world, some of which I'll never forget. I'll never be the same since visiting Nicuesa.  It's amazing how content & at peace everyone seemed to feel there, the magic you feel there is like nothing I've ever experienced & I cant wait to go back!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful and attentive review of Playa Nicuesa. To know that we lived up to and exceeded your expectations gives us contentment and peace. We're glad we could be the place for your soul searching and yoga. Thanks also for the compliments about our staff -- we'll be sure to pass on your comments to them. Let us know whenever you want to come back; we're here for you! :-)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the most environmentally friendly place we have ever stayed! The commitment of the staff to environmental and social issues was genuine and pervasive. We stayed for 6 nights on the honeymoon package, and it was the best week of our lives!

Our cabin was charming, the rainforest was enchanting, and we loved every meal. The cooks prepared wonderfully fresh meals and the bartender was an absolute artist! We went on many of the guided tours, and being new to the rainforest ecosystem, we had expert guidance from the tour guides at Nicuesa. We particularly recommend the night tour, where we were able to see rainforest wildlife that only comes out at night. We also went on the Golfo Dolce boat tour and found ourselves surrounded by 40 playful dolphins! We hiked up to a beautiful waterfall and also took the kayak tour down the river. Each day we saw a new plant or animal that we had never seen before. Also, the yoga deck is beautiful, and we practiced almost every day of our trip (usually on our own, once with an instructor). The massage therapist / yoga teacher was incredibly talented, and we each came back for a second massage before the week was over.

Every day at Nicuesa was new and wonderful! If you are a nature-lover, this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NicuesaLodge, Owner at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Congratulations on your marriage, and thank you for choosing Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge to celebrate your honeymoon! We wish you a lifetime of wedded bliss together!

Thank you for all of your excellent recommendations to future guests. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience with us. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us. Come back again!
Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My week long stay at Play Nicuesa lodge was a trip to remember. My cottage accomodations were spacious and so very comfortable and literally in the midst of the beautiful rainforest of Costa Rica. The lodge itself was like a Robinson Crusoe tree house, surrounded by trees, glorious nature, and calling maccaws and toucans. Go! Just do it. The food was delicious, fresh and local. I'm still talking about my trip to Costa Rica. And the waterfall hike is a must. So is jumping off the pier. Enjoy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We loved your description about our lodge as being a Robinson Crusoe tree house! Thank you for visiting us at Playa Nicuesa, and for your 5-star review. We really appreciate your words. Please come back and visit us again soon!
P.S. Jumping off the pier is my favorite thing to do too!
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Located in one of the wildest areas of Costa Rica, only it's accessible by sea.
the hotel offers many different activities in additon to the famous whales & dolphins tours in the area. We really enjoyed hikking a trail along the river until reaching a beautiful waterfall where we took a natural massage. Also, we did a Tour of Sustainability that left us amazed with the job the hotel does, even organizing events to educate and help to the local population.
Love it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NicuesaLodge, Owner at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We're very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge, and our activities. We developed our sustainability tour after so many of our guests were curious about our environmentally-friendly operations. We are deeply committed to protecting this natural paradise of tropical rainforest and Pacific Ocean. Thank you for taking part in our passion. Welcome back any time!
Heredia, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Super cool place to go. My first time in a Green Hotel like this and it was awesome. The place is amazing, the food could not be better, and the best of all, the people that works here are the BEST. They really make you feel special :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thanks to you and your family for visiting Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge. We're so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We are proud to be a "Green Hotel" that consistently delivers quality, excellent cuisine, and great service. Your visit with us was just as special! See you again soon!

Been to Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!