“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iguana Lodge

You added Iguana Lodge to your Saves list
Iguana Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Calle a Calle Platanares, Puerto Jimenez 60702, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Vancouver, Canada
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent four nights this January at the Iguana Lodge and found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Lauren and Toby are fabulous hosts and the staff that they employ are first class.
Saw howlers, toucans, macaws etc right from my cabina.
The breakfasts are great......really enjoyed the fish tacos,the Caprese salad and beverages at the Pearl.
Don't miss dining at the Iguana Rancho.....Chef Jose is very talented....my mouth is still watering weeks later when I think of his Indian chicken dish and chocolate banana creme pie.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My brother, sister-in-law and I stayed at Iguana Lodge for five days in early January, 2013. They had one of the casitas, while I stayed in a room over the restaurant.The lodge grounds are beautiful, and there are many opportunities to see birds and even mammals (they have a wild, resident sloth!), as monkeys move through the property on occasion. It is also just close enough to Puerto Jimenez to be very convenient, so you can have a tropical eco-lodge experience without being hours away from everything, or jolting your back for hours on bad roads. The owners and staff were awesome, and the food was excellent. We ate breakfast and dinner on the property and were never disappointed. The chef in the lodge dining room prepares wonderful meals. Have at least one gourmet meal there, or sign up for the meal plan as we did.
Now, I do have to say something about the heat. I was there the same time AlisonEve, another reviewer, was. And it was HOT while we were there, and as she said, the rooms do not have A/C. However, the staff does put multiple electric floor fans in, and there is also an overhead fan. So I do say that while I was not always comfortable, the staff were doing the best they could. I love this place, and hope to go back again in the not too distant future. And while my room was fine, and less expensive, next time I will try the casitas.

Room Tip: Rooms above the restaurant are less expensive.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Traveled early in the season and we were one of three guests at the lodge. There with small children and they loved the animals and beach. my 70 + yr old inlaws also joined. and gound activities to meet everyone's pace. Meals were fantastic. Did a boat and hiking tour with Sydnar, the naturalist - both we're great with lots to see and learn.

Expect humid weather and bugs. Since the rooms are all open air so your clothes never really dry.

Two disappointments: Pool had been flooded out by the rain and was murky gross water. Construction of a private home on the adjoining property made it loud all day long.

• Stayed November 2012
glorialauren, Owner at Iguana Lodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. As you note, Iguana Lodge makes great efforts to meet the needs of all its guest no matter their age. Sidnar, our naturalist, is one of the best on the Osa.

You have every right to complain about the noise and the condition of the pool when you were this fall - the Good News is that our neighbor's construction is over and the pool is back to beautifully blue. No matter, the fact that it affected your trip adversely is truly unfortunate. We understand how important great vacations are, and are always saddened when our Guest have less than an optimal experience.

The noise, as you noted, was from construction at our neighbors. We actually complained multiple times but unfortunately the noise never seemed to abate. We actually shut down our rooms closest to the construction and put our guest as far away as possible to minimize the impact. Fortunately the construction and more importantly the noise is now over. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The pool was a mess when you were here. The pool currently and normally is crystal clear and blue. However just before you arrived we had some unusual flooding from the nearby river. While there is local flooding almost every year, in 14 years of living here we have never had the river flood through our property. This we believe is also due to our neighbor and his construction activities. We are in the process of resolving this is so it will not happen again. Unfortunately with all the mud that settled in the pool it takes a long time to get the pool back to its crystal clear blue. We did everything we possibly could to get it clean quickly but as we were all made aware with Hurricane Sandy in the northeast, it takes time to recover from these type of events.
chichullo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Iguana lodge is lovingly run by Laura and Toby, the owners
They have excellent staff
Kathrine and Gabriel were awesome (sorry if I spelled your names wrong) thank you for your attention and kindness
The grounds are beautiful, as is the beach and pool area
The casita we rented was very clean and nice
Loved the resident dogs, especially Spike
Kudos to the chef
Every meal was excellent, best food we had in all of Costa Rica
I would definitely return
It was hot and humid, very. Even the locals said it was intense. We may try September next time.
Scarlett macaws, and three species of monkeys from the pool

Stayed January 2013
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed for four nights and loved the gorgeous grounds. The buildings are spread along paths fronting the beach and while the waves there were a little rough for us for swimming, we enjoyed walking on the beach and swimming in the new pool. A highlight was the Tuesday night barbecue and bonfire on the beach. Also, the staff was very friendly and we got to know some of them while we were there, and they remembered us and went out of their way to accommodate my cilantro allergy and to return my husbands lost GPS. Another highlight was the Matapalo walking tour with Sidnar, the resident naturalist, which was an easy but beautiful hike and Sidnar found lots of animals for us to watch. We stayed in a club room which was over the restaurant and included breakfast. The room was cozy, spotless, and the bed was very comfortable. We had one complaint which was that there is little privacy since the only windows are onto the main walkway/hallway and over the restaurant, and since there's no glass you can hear everything going on outside (and they can hear you). It was also very hot while we were there--in the 90s, and our room stayed very hot until well into the evening as there's no AC. Of you like the heat it's great, but it was a little much for us.

• Stayed January 2013
glorialauren, Owner at Iguana Lodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks for your wonderful review about Iguana Lodge. We are happy that you had a great time and appreciate your comments about the heat.

Dealing with the heat is a bit of a conundrum for us. Iguana Lodge prides itself in working towards environmentally sustainable solutions and appreciating the natural environment. We have chosen to avoid using air conditioning as it is not sustainable, and one loses the gentle breezes and the sounds of the tropics. So it is a trade-off, and fortunately most of our guests love the warmth of the tropics. We do provide multiple fans for people who don't enjoy the heat quite as much as they expected too, and are at this very moment, painting the roofs with a special solar reflective paint. The change is dramatic and reduces the radiated heat by minimum of 15 degrees. We think this will make a big difference in comfort levels.

Iguana Lodge only gets better through comments such as this. Again thank you for taking the time to from your busy day to give us this review.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

What else can i tell you, but we come to Iguana Lodge every single year for Christmas and wish were still coming back every August as well. We are lucky to stay in the fabulous Casa, with three bedrooms, on three floors with fabulous views of the jungle. white face monkeys, howlers and Sloths are all visible from the third floor stone shower that hangs out over the house.

The overall Lodge is a friendly place with great service, unbelievable meals both at the Rancho and at the Perla, But one of the best things is the long stretch of beach with warm tropical waters to laze in - although occaisionally the surf can be very high and provide fantastic viewing of the local surfers off the beach.

If you are looking for a great escape and not the intercontinental or some 45 star air conditioned rooms which look alike no matter where you are than this is a special place... and you will always encounter an interesting blend of guests.

Room Tip: The rooms all depend on what you are looking for. If you have a large family- consider the house. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I found Iguana Lodge on tripadvisor as one of the top family lodgings in Costa Rica and I'm glad to report that we're back from what was by far the most amazing family vacation we've had. My boys just turned 3 and 1 and it was a perfect place to experience all the wildlife of the Costa Rican rainforest without having to leave the resort! Obviously we couldn't do lots of tours with the little kids, but we got to see white-face Capucin monkeys, squirrel monkeys and howler monkeys almost every day at the resort, one day they even hung out above the Rancho while we were having breakfast! We saw toucans, macaws and iguanas right from our huge private porch!
Even before we arrived, I was amazed by the customer service provided by Maxine, their reservation person, who basically became my Costa Rica travel agent after the others that I talked to didn't provide the service I had hoped for. She helped us book all our intra-Costa Rica flights and even got Sansa to run a flight for us (not a charter, so regular prices!) on our arrival date so that we wouldn't have an overnight stay in San Jose. She worked with the team to organize a crib and child seat for the table for my one year old, and generally answered all my many many questions very quickly. I had been told by another agent that the Osa was too remote and not a place for little kids, but I'm so glad that Maxine convinced me otherwise.
The staff at the lodge and the restaurant was also amazingly friendly and accommodating, they carried our baby around all the time so that we could eat, attended to every need immediately and were more warm and friendly than at any other hotel we've visited.
I can also echo all the other great things mentioned in other reviews; the food was amazing, and we're very picky and my husband is not a fan of eating pre-selected meals, but he absolutely loved it too. When the dinner selections were too spicy, we were able to get kids meals from the Pearl restaurant at no extra charge. I could go on and on, but let me close with the amazing BBQ dinner we had on the beach on Dec 25 - the food and tables were set right on the sand and a huge bonfire and fire-powered paper balloons made this one of the best Christmases of my life - and the best part is, they do this every week not just on Christmas day!

Room Tip: Note that the casitas are not enclosed rooms with walls, there are slats and window covers but you h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Iguana Lodge? Share your experiences!