“Great lodge - definitely plan to be one w nature” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iguana Lodge

Save Saved
You added Iguana Lodge to your Saves list
Iguana Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Calle a Calle Platanares, Puerto Jimenez 60702, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
“Great lodge - definitely plan to be one w nature”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Traveled early in the season and we were one of three guests at the lodge. There with small children and they loved the animals and beach. my 70 + yr old inlaws also joined. and gound activities to meet everyone's pace. Meals were fantastic. Did a boat and hiking tour with Sydnar, the naturalist - both we're great with lots to see and learn.

Expect humid weather and bugs. Since the rooms are all open air so your clothes never really dry.

Two disappointments: Pool had been flooded out by the rain and was murky gross water. Construction of a private home on the adjoining property made it loud all day long.

• Stayed November 2012
glorialauren, Owner at Iguana Lodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. As you note, Iguana Lodge makes great efforts to meet the needs of all its guest no matter their age. Sidnar, our naturalist, is one of the best on the Osa.

You have every right to complain about the noise and the condition of the pool when you were this fall - the Good News is that our neighbor's construction is over and the pool is back to beautifully blue. No matter, the fact that it affected your trip adversely is truly unfortunate. We understand how important great vacations are, and are always saddened when our Guest have less than an optimal experience.

The noise, as you noted, was from construction at our neighbors. We actually complained multiple times but unfortunately the noise never seemed to abate. We actually shut down our rooms closest to the construction and put our guest as far away as possible to minimize the impact. Fortunately the construction and more importantly the noise is now over. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The pool was a mess when you were here. The pool currently and normally is crystal clear and blue. However just before you arrived we had some unusual flooding from the nearby river. While there is local flooding almost every year, in 14 years of living here we have never had the river flood through our property. This we believe is also due to our neighbor and his construction activities. We are in the process of resolving this is so it will not happen again. Unfortunately with all the mud that settled in the pool it takes a long time to get the pool back to its crystal clear blue. We did everything we possibly could to get it clean quickly but as we were all made aware with Hurricane Sandy in the northeast, it takes time to recover from these type of events.

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
chichullo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Iguana lodge is lovingly run by Laura and Toby, the owners
They have excellent staff
Kathrine and Gabriel were awesome (sorry if I spelled your names wrong) thank you for your attention and kindness
The grounds are beautiful, as is the beach and pool area
The casita we rented was very clean and nice
Loved the resident dogs, especially Spike
Kudos to the chef
Every meal was excellent, best food we had in all of Costa Rica
I would definitely return
It was hot and humid, very. Even the locals said it was intense. We may try September next time.
Scarlett macaws, and three species of monkeys from the pool

Stayed January 2013
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed for four nights and loved the gorgeous grounds. The buildings are spread along paths fronting the beach and while the waves there were a little rough for us for swimming, we enjoyed walking on the beach and swimming in the new pool. A highlight was the Tuesday night barbecue and bonfire on the beach. Also, the staff was very friendly and we got to know some of them while we were there, and they remembered us and went out of their way to accommodate my cilantro allergy and to return my husbands lost GPS. Another highlight was the Matapalo walking tour with Sidnar, the resident naturalist, which was an easy but beautiful hike and Sidnar found lots of animals for us to watch. We stayed in a club room which was over the restaurant and included breakfast. The room was cozy, spotless, and the bed was very comfortable. We had one complaint which was that there is little privacy since the only windows are onto the main walkway/hallway and over the restaurant, and since there's no glass you can hear everything going on outside (and they can hear you). It was also very hot while we were there--in the 90s, and our room stayed very hot until well into the evening as there's no AC. Of you like the heat it's great, but it was a little much for us.

• Stayed January 2013
glorialauren, Owner at Iguana Lodge, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks for your wonderful review about Iguana Lodge. We are happy that you had a great time and appreciate your comments about the heat.

Dealing with the heat is a bit of a conundrum for us. Iguana Lodge prides itself in working towards environmentally sustainable solutions and appreciating the natural environment. We have chosen to avoid using air conditioning as it is not sustainable, and one loses the gentle breezes and the sounds of the tropics. So it is a trade-off, and fortunately most of our guests love the warmth of the tropics. We do provide multiple fans for people who don't enjoy the heat quite as much as they expected too, and are at this very moment, painting the roofs with a special solar reflective paint. The change is dramatic and reduces the radiated heat by minimum of 15 degrees. We think this will make a big difference in comfort levels.

Iguana Lodge only gets better through comments such as this. Again thank you for taking the time to from your busy day to give us this review.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

What else can i tell you, but we come to Iguana Lodge every single year for Christmas and wish were still coming back every August as well. We are lucky to stay in the fabulous Casa, with three bedrooms, on three floors with fabulous views of the jungle. white face monkeys, howlers and Sloths are all visible from the third floor stone shower that hangs out over the house.

The overall Lodge is a friendly place with great service, unbelievable meals both at the Rancho and at the Perla, But one of the best things is the long stretch of beach with warm tropical waters to laze in - although occaisionally the surf can be very high and provide fantastic viewing of the local surfers off the beach.

If you are looking for a great escape and not the intercontinental or some 45 star air conditioned rooms which look alike no matter where you are than this is a special place... and you will always encounter an interesting blend of guests.

Room Tip: The rooms all depend on what you are looking for. If you have a large family- consider the house. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I found Iguana Lodge on tripadvisor as one of the top family lodgings in Costa Rica and I'm glad to report that we're back from what was by far the most amazing family vacation we've had. My boys just turned 3 and 1 and it was a perfect place to experience all the wildlife of the Costa Rican rainforest without having to leave the resort! Obviously we couldn't do lots of tours with the little kids, but we got to see white-face Capucin monkeys, squirrel monkeys and howler monkeys almost every day at the resort, one day they even hung out above the Rancho while we were having breakfast! We saw toucans, macaws and iguanas right from our huge private porch!
Even before we arrived, I was amazed by the customer service provided by Maxine, their reservation person, who basically became my Costa Rica travel agent after the others that I talked to didn't provide the service I had hoped for. She helped us book all our intra-Costa Rica flights and even got Sansa to run a flight for us (not a charter, so regular prices!) on our arrival date so that we wouldn't have an overnight stay in San Jose. She worked with the team to organize a crib and child seat for the table for my one year old, and generally answered all my many many questions very quickly. I had been told by another agent that the Osa was too remote and not a place for little kids, but I'm so glad that Maxine convinced me otherwise.
The staff at the lodge and the restaurant was also amazingly friendly and accommodating, they carried our baby around all the time so that we could eat, attended to every need immediately and were more warm and friendly than at any other hotel we've visited.
I can also echo all the other great things mentioned in other reviews; the food was amazing, and we're very picky and my husband is not a fan of eating pre-selected meals, but he absolutely loved it too. When the dinner selections were too spicy, we were able to get kids meals from the Pearl restaurant at no extra charge. I could go on and on, but let me close with the amazing BBQ dinner we had on the beach on Dec 25 - the food and tables were set right on the sand and a huge bonfire and fire-powered paper balloons made this one of the best Christmases of my life - and the best part is, they do this every week not just on Christmas day!

Room Tip: Note that the casitas are not enclosed rooms with walls, there are slats and window covers but you h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I want to start by giving a little background about myself. I spend about 60++ nights a year in leisure travel so I guess the adage "been there, done that" would sort of apply here. The past 12 months alone I have been in the Yucatan/Quintana Roo/Isla Mujeres/Playa del Carmen/Merida in Mexico for 3 weeks, 8 days in Roatan. 2 week+ in Nicaragua, Corn Island/San Juan Del Sur/Granada, and the one week obligatory shopping trip to Miami of course : ) + weeks @ local beaches here in CR..... BTW, Big Corn in Nicaragua is the place to be, if you ever get the chance, GO THERE NOW, before it becomes another Cayman Islands or Turks & Caicos in the Caribbean. Lobster fishing is still the #1 industry, tourism is only second. Where else can you see this in a Crribbean island (one way airfare from Managua is around $80). Little Corn, you need to walk through the jungle to get to your hotel, from the ferry dock from Big Corn, no electricity, NADA.... Big corn is enough "roughing" it for me, I need the net to work since I'm in e-commerce..... Also where else can you see, snorkeling, NOT scuba, a sunken spanish galleon.... Or that the richest guy in the island is a direct descendant of the pirate Henry Morgan!!!

I have stayed anywhere from the Luxor in Vegas, 2nd biggest hotel in the WORLD (biggest one is the MGM across the street) and @ Kellys Creek in Cahuita, a 4 room boutique hotel. I'm also an Intercontinetal Ambassador (loyalty program for Intercontinental/Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza hotels) so I know what it means to be treated "right".

I stayed at Iguana Lodge for 3 nights about a week++ or so ago. My daughter who is still in "remission" (she will be considered a cancer survivor in a less than a year, YEAH!!!) from childhood leukemia won a ebay auction, donated by the owners, for a cancer charity. This might make me biased but I will try to be as objective as possible in this review, under the cirscumtances...

I seriously did not know what to expect since I have never been in this part of the country. I have lived in Costa Rica, on and off, since 1979, yes that is correct, 1979. I was 11 years old back then when my family relocated to Costa Rica. I have been, from Barra del Colorado (Nicaraguan border), in the Carribean side, to Manzanillo next to Panama and EVERYWHERE in between. Pacific wise, I have been from the La Cruz/Santa Rosa Nat'l Park beaches to Uvita in the Osa - and EVERYWHERE in between (I'm talking about beaches that most people, haven't even heard of, i.e Coyote, Costa De Oro, Marbella, Cabuyal, Playa Panama, San Juanillo, Penca, Danta/Dantita, Isla Gitana (yes an island in Costa Rica) and of course the known ones like Flamingo/Tamarindo/Golfo de Papagayo/Carillo/Samara/Nosara/Playa Hermosa -Guana&Puntarenas-/Tambor/Montezuma/Junquillal/Conchal/Dominical/Quepos ewww : ) Etc etc. But this is the first time that I have been this far down south in the Pacific.

Ok, getting off topic here : )

Iguana Lodge has something to it.... I still can't put my finger into it but there is definitely "something" to this place.... It could be the deserted beach, the Scarlet Macaws flying around, Spike the resident pet, the wildlife that one can only see in a nat'l park, I really don't know, but it certainly gets a thumbs up from me... 2 thumbs up, and then some....... FYI, we never got to Corcovado Nat'l Park, but I've been to at least 90% of the CR Nat'l parks, except for Isla del Coco and a few others.....

The rooms in the "Perla" are immaculate... Everything you need, except maybe for an aircon (according to my wife), who by the way is the "cruise ship"/5 star type traveler. If you are one of those then maybe this place is not exactly for you, then again, maybe it is......

The staff are AMAZING, they literally go out of their way to make you feel special, remember I am an Intercontinental Ambassador so I know how it is to be treated "right".... Even the minibar staff @ the Inter calls you by name : )

The rooms at the "Pearl" are more than adequate, way above average definitely, VERY luxurious for Puerto Jimenez in fact. The "casitas", we checked out both, are not exactly for everyone. I'm more into rooms that has lockable doors and more privacy but I can certainly understand how some people would definitely LOVE these "casitas", not my cup of tea but that's just me....

The pool, oh the pool.... Imagine watching Jesus Christ Lizards running across the pool, yes above the water, when Spike chases them. Scarlet macaws flying and making noise above you while lazing in the pool... Wow! Flowers galore.... Laurens free yoga lessons was part of the highlight of the trip for my college aged daughters and wife. The food was good/very good, in general, but maybe one should not order "fish" when obviously it is not a very busy season, my fault, should have known better..... To be fair we only had meals @ the restaurant at the "pearl" so I can't judge the included meals when booking the casitas. Included breakfast was ourtstanding BTW,

The beach has been one of the best in CR that I have been to. I'm originally from the Philippines (7,000+ islands) so I know a "good" beach when I see one.... Also I've been to dozens and dozens of beaches in CR. San Juanillo being one of my faves.... No decent hotels though and very few restaurants, but most Guanacaste residents, locals, consider it the best beach in Guana.... Coyote, is also a must-go-to-beach if you are the lonely planet type of traveler....

In closing, if I had to rate this place, from 1 to 10, I'd probably give it an 11, then again I'm biased so why not go and see for yourself. Go ahead and sue me if you don't agree : )

Vladimir, Mardy, etc etc, EXCELLENT people, as they say here in CR, "buena gente".......

Would I go back? YES!!!! YES!!! The 6+ hour drive from San Jose is definitely worth it. The area around Dominical sorts of reminds me of the drive from LA to San Francisco, done that route 4 times, one of my favorite drives in the US.

So what are you waiting for???? Get your @ss down there!!!!... And stay at the Iguana Lodge, I couldn't imagine a more "perfect" place....

Oh, another FYI, they do EVERYTHING for you, tours etc etc, EVERYTHING,...Want a hassle free vacation??? Then, go for it, this is THE PLACE.... Say hi to Vladimir for me if you ever get down there......

Room Tip: I would stay at the "regular" rooms @ the Pearl. instead of the casitas, but as I said bef...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
glorialauren, Owner at Iguana Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Wow thank you for the incredibly generous review of Iguana Lodge. As you say we have an incredible staff. We are very proud of the people that work here. They are extremely friendly and genuine. They are truly what Costa Rica is about and why people love to come here.

Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon. It only get better!
Charles Town, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Upon arrival, we were told "Welcome to Paradise." One doesn't normally believe that is true. But in this case without exaggeration, I can say it is. The Osa Peninsula is breathtakingly beautiful. The Iguana Lodge is magically tucked into the jungle next to the most amazing beach. The staff are more like family that live just to make you happy and truly want you to appreciate the natural beauty around you without worry about planning a single thing. Every last detail is arranged for you. The food is fantastic. Seemingly even the weather is within their control, as we went during the rainy season but had abundant sunshine for our adventures and just enough rain to use as an excuse for napping. I've never been to a more peaceful and relaxing yet adventure filled place. They were right, absolute paradise!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
glorialauren, Owner at Iguana Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I wish we could control the weather. This rainy season has been mild until yesterday (Oct 24,2012) when we got hit with a whopper... 8 inches of rain in one day! Fortunately those rains are rare and our weather is generally incredibly nice.

Virtually year round empty beaches, great warm weather and abundant wildlife make this a tru paradise. We are really happy you had such a great experience and hope to see you back soon. Thank you.

Been to Iguana Lodge? Share your experiences!