“Relaxation & Adventure In One Place” 5 of 5 stars

Crocodile Bay Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Airport Road, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
San Jose, California
“Relaxation & Adventure In One Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

My wife and I went in November just after they opened for the season. Beautiful way to start off the trip by way of a quick and safe flight from San Jose. Crocodile Bay sets you up with the best airline with safest planes in C.R. The scenery was breathtaking. When you arrive at the resort, you are greeted with a delicious tropical cocktail and treated like royalty from beginning to end. Beau (Manager) and the staff are amazingly kind and attentive people that make you feel welcome. The facilities are spacious and the grounds are representative of the beautiful jungle and tropic surroundings.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to go out fishing (which we've heard they are world class) but we did enjoy the canopy and tour to Osa Wildlife Sanctuary. Also the spa for our anniversary. First the canopy was in middle of one of the most untouched jungles/rain forest areas in the world so it was AMAZING. It started raining at the end which was cool to experience. Good adrenaline rush. Second the trip to the Sanctuary is a must for any animal lover. You get a personal tour by the owner of the Santuary and get to come in contact with monkeys if you like! (she's a cutie and sweetie is the monkey's name). Lastly we ended up spending a whole day in the spa because we can't explain enough how relaxing, professional, and all around good they are there. Just read the comments in the lobby of the spa. We could write a page on the spa alone...

The food in the restaurant was amazing also and if you have a special diet, they are super accomodating as they are with every part of your stay there. All you can drink bar inside and rooms are stocked.

Don't miss out on staying here in one of the most beautiful areas in C.R. and treat yourself to the best.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
opelika alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

Our first trip to Costa Rica and the resort. My husband and I drove from San Jose, spending the first night in Jaco. Our daughter, her husband and their three teenage girls flew to the resort as this was their second visit and they wanted to get started fishing. The staff was so accomodating, and made one feel like you were part of an extended family. One of the guests son had a birthday, so a special cake was made by Olympia and we all celebrated. And where they found a turkey for a special Christmas buffet is a mystery! I especially enjoyed one of our guides, Julio, as he knew every floral and fauna and how the locals use them for medicinal purposes. He could spy wildlife that I would have missed on my own. My granddaughter and I especially enjoyed the outing to the monkey rescue preserve. Its an easy bike ride or walk into town. It is rather expensive to stay at the resort but they make it memorable. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Dayton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

Having been to CBL twice and am presently booked for another trip in March of next year i would suggest plenty of sun screen for it is a hot tropical sun. My family went along, I to fish and they for the ecotours. There is not a fishing trip nor tour that i would not recommend for they are all enjoyable. If you have never jip-lined then it is certainly a must, the afternoons can get hot so jip-line in the mornings when it's cool.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

First let me just start off that we could not have been happier with Crocodile Bay Resort (CBR), their staff, fishing captains and mate, eco tour guides, transportation crew and the entire country of Costa Rica as a whole. It was a fantastic trip and we had no hiccups along the way, and a large part of that was due to the top notch staff. My wife and I wanted an exotic honeymoon in Costa Rica and never being there before we did a lot of research into location throughout the country and resorts. We choose CBR for the fishing, but also for the variety of eco tours they offered. Our US Rep was Larry and he was great in helping us get information to make our decision and once we choose CBR he was equally great in answering questions and getting all of the finances and trip plans secured.

We choose this location, the Osa Peninsula, due to the wildlife, great fishing, and for being “off the beaten path”. There were a lot less tourists here, not because it is not beautiful or worthwhile, but maybe because it not as developed as some of the other known tourist spots.

First we were picked up at the airport and over to the Double Tree Calarai for the overnight before heading to CBR. They were fantastic, pleasant and prompt (even though our flight was a little late). We had a great stay that night, the hotel was very beautiful, and the breakfast buffet that is included is not to be missed. We relaxed that night and unwound from the days travel.

The next morning Jonathan picked us up, and this guy is fantastic. Super friendly and down to earth. He helped us with our Spanish as we were trying t be good guests and speak as much Spanish as we could. Trust me when I say people appreciate you at least attempting their language than to force them to speak English. Anyway, Jonathan got us to the airport for our Nature Air flight and saved us some time later by paying for our departure tax right there. A little trick we would have been oblivious to.

We arrived in Puerto Jimenez and were picked up and taken to the resort just a few minutes away. I know you pay a premium to stay at CRB compared to many other Costa Rican resorts, but to me it was worth it. The rooms were very nice, but I can see how someone might think they would not live up to the US standards for something of the same rate, but I would disagree. They were spacious, well kept, and located all over their beautiful grounds. We were greeted with a Pina Colada type drink and more happy smiling faces. We were shown are room and took a little tour of the facilities. They had graciously left some Champagne in the room as well as complementary Swedish massage certificate for the Spa.

The grounds are beautiful and the bar, gift shop, reception, spa, pool and dining facility are all fantastic. It really leaves you feeling comfortable and at home. The first afternoon we just wanted to relax so we ate an awesome lunch and then headed off to the beach. The beach is a short drive through the country side, and they always had a cooler of beer, soda, water, fresh fruit, etc. They gave us some boogie boards and we relaxed and got pounded by the surf. We also had our first Macaw sighting when about 7 flew into a tree not too far away. They are so cool and we later learned how endangered they are.

Day two was spent fishing with Captain Jonny and Mate David. They were a fun group and really handled out inexperience at sail fishing well and we just had a great time. We ended up raising 12 fish and catching 4. They were great in helping my wife reel her fish in so that I could film or take pictures of her fight. Most fish were about 100 pounds and what an awesome fight. We were the only two people and I felt the standard boat was more than accompanying for the 2 of us. We saw a bunch of turtles floating in the ocean and fish jumping everywhere. We probably could have caught more, but I screwed up on a couple getting used to the gear. Remember the 50+ spf if you’re not used to this kind of sun. We were reapplying like mad, and it paid off. No fun getting sick or burnt to a crisp.

Dinners were gourmet every night. We got to experience the buffet (based on # of guests) and menu options. We had a ton of fresh Mahi Mahi, Wahoo, Tuna and snapper. This is a huge perk for being a fishing resort as you get the freshest meal in town. We couldn’t rave about the food enough.

The remaining time was spent fishing one more time, it was slower, and 6 raised and 2 caught, with 2 lost Rooster fish. My only complaint is toward the Rooster fish for not cooperating with us and letting us catch them, maybe next time. We had the same captain and mate, which we loved, and these guys really do bust their hump to get you fish.

We also got our free Swedish massage, simply put “to die for!!!

We also did the monkey/jungle tour, zip line tour, and sanctuary tour. We did the sanctuary tour first to get a close up look at some of the animals we might see on other tours and to learn something about the animals of the Osa. We saw and fed on spider monkey, Winkie, and got to see a whole slew of other animals they rescued. It’s amazing how much we learned, and think it’s a must do if you are doing some of the tours. The Zip lining wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be, but it was so cool to see the primary forest from that vantage point. We did the new tour that has the longer runs and is a bit faster, so I don’t know what the other one is like, but I would recommend this one. Sorry for the lack of remembering the name, but the other one begins with an “M” and offers a night zip line tour. The money tour was very cool in not only being able to see more of the country side and how Costa Ricans live away from the resort, but for all of the wildlife we saw. Howler monkeys, Squirrel monkeys, Macaws, vultures, falcon, spiders, toucans, some rodent thing I forget the name of, and the big blue butterflies.

When we left and went back to San Jose, if you have time I recommend asking Jonathan to set up a tour to the Doka coffee plantation and Poas Volcano. Jonathan had set up the tour and we had the best guide and driver in Marco. What a fun dude and he really showed us around beyond the sites we were after. We had a great day, saw the volcano, enjoyed the coffee tour and picked up a lot of cool souvenirs along the way

I could keep going on and on about this place, but I have to stop sometime. This is a great place and it truly has a found spot in our hearts. The staff could not have been any better and I hope you get a chance to visit this gem someday.

Pura Vida
Matt and Carmen

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I visited Crocodile bay for the first time (certainly not my last) for 4 days in February. From the reservation phone call to the return trip from PJ to San Jose the trip was first class. It all begins with the staff. From their drivers to the hotel staff everyone is extremely personable, exceptionally helpful and entirely professional.

I arrived in San Jose on Tuesday afternoon and was promptly met by my driver who whisked me to a downtown San Jose hotel for the evening. I was scheduled on a 6AM flight to PJ the next day. The driver gave me excellent advice for my 1 night stay in SJ and helped make this evening a pleasure. He met me promptly the next morning and got me to the airport for my flight to PJ. I was greeted in SJ and taken to the front desk to meet the dynamic irrepressible Olympia who did her best during the entire week to make my stay a pleasure. Todd, the fishing director for CB was leaving town on a business trip but took the time to have breakfast with me and see me to the dock to introduce me to my captain and mate for the 3 days of fishing I had booked.

The fishing...wow. The captain and mate worked exceptionally hard and put in long days to insure that I was into fish and enjoying myself for the entire day. They succeeded. The boats and tackle were exceptional. We spent the first day inshore catching rooster fish and snapper until my arms felt like they were going to fall off. The next two days we spent offshore and were into sailfish and mahi all day long. We raised at least 6-8 sailfish each of the days I fished, and got a fair number to the boat. The mate was really knowledgable and spent quite a bit of time showing me offshore terminal tackle techniques that I will surely get to use this summer tuna fishing in my boat off the northeast US coast. On the third day after having caught my fill of sailfish I decided to spend the day looking for Marlin. The mate went out that night on his own time and bought ballyhoo with his own money (he would not let me reimburse him so I just added it to his tip). Unfortunately we did not raise a marlin (neither did any of the other boats) but it was not for lack of trying. All in all a great fishing experience and one I will never forget.

Evenings were spent at the beautiful CB lodge. The bar after a hard days fishing is a great place to relax and swap fish stories. Everyone there is enjoying themselves and it makes for a very nice, friendly entertaining environment even if you are travelling solo as I was. The food was great as we had freshly caught tuna sushi every night with freshly caught grilled mahi. The salads and fruit and various starches (potatoes, rice, beans, etc) were all freshly and professionally prepared.

I know that the CB staff reads these reviews and want to personally thank them for a really great vacation. I am not being facetious, I actually wondered while I was there if they did not mistake me for a celebrity or writer/reviewer for a fishing or sporting magazine. I could not believe that they treated all of their guests as they treated me during my all too short stay at CB. I will be returning next year with a group to share this great destination.

I almost forgot the mention the spa. I am not a big spa guy - I'd rather be relaxing by the pool having a beer smoking a cigar with my free time- but I did book a Swedish massage at the CB spa. It was a really great experience, the masseuse was very thorough and professional. My 45 minute massage stretched over an hour and I felt ready to go back at the sailfish after a long strenous day on the boat. Do yourself a favor while there and book a massage. Do it early in your stay because I guarantee you will want to book another before you leave.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Crocodile Bay Feb. 5-12, 2010. We had a late arrival/departure flight so we had to stay over in San Jose before going to CB. CB took care of all the San Jose hotel and transport arrangements so we had nothing to worry about. The hotel in San Jose was beautiful. We were sorry we couldn't stay there longer. CB resort was fabulous. As soon as we arrived, we saw two red macaws flying over our room.....where else can you see that on your vacation!!!! The resort was small and quaint. The staff at CB were amazing. Since it is such a small resort, you really get to know all the people working there and they are very friendly and accommodating. So much better than those large resorts where you are just another face in the crowd. The rooms were nice and well kept. We wished the rooms had a TV and refrigerator/mini bar, but it wasn't that big of deal. The resort was beautiful, but if you are a vacationer that is looking for opulence, this is not the resort for you. It is a fishing/adventure resort and that is what you get. It's beautiful, but not over the top. The pool and spa areas were well kept, and the service was great. The pool was very private, not a lot of people. The food was also amazing whether you ate at the resort or you had a packed lunch while fishing or on an ecotour. The ecotours were wonderful! The tour guides were friendly, well trained, and very accommodating. The day we went fishing it happened to be windy and the waters were somewhat rough (usually the waters are very calm). I got sea sick and we ended up coming in early because I felt so terrible. The director of fishing approached us and offered to set up another day of fishing for us without charge. He said he didn't want us to miss out on having an enjoyable fishing experience. We went out again (I took meds to prevent sea sickness......a must for anyone going out on the water) and had the best day ever. The captain and mate were great and my husband had a day of fishing he'll never forget! It definitely made the trip for us. CB was a fabulous resort and we would definitely go back there. It really is for those people looking for a great fishing experience or some Costa Rica adventure. Two thumbs up from us!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

We arrived in late January & returned home in February from another stellar vacation experience at Crocodile Bay. We've traveled in many countries, but CB continues to rank in the top 2% for beautiful, genuine hospitality & professional, non-pretentious service.

The PEOPLE are reason enough to return to Crocodile Bay, but when you add the abundance of Osa wildlife (just walking around the lodge grounds is amazing); a wide variety of knowledgeable & fun eco-tours; a luxurious, modern spa (and I'm not normally a spa girl); and the absolutely out of this world fishing opportunities, it's crazy to even consider going elsewhere.

This year, despite effects of El Nino, the catch included a huge tuna, multiple sailfish & dorado, a couple huge roosterfish, jack cravelles and other inshore species.

Outside of the "catching experience" of being on the water in their fleet of immaculate, well-maintained Boston Whalers, our forways into the gulf & ocean included numerous dolphin escorts, flying fish, leaping rays, sea turtles, an orca whale giving birth (we kept our distance), and a humpback whale coming to the surface only 50 meters away from the boat... going out to fish with their experienced captains is an ecotour in itself!

Cool, airconditioned rooms are impeccable; the pool & swim up bar was enjoyed by all, and the view of scarlet macaws and squirrel monkeys from laid back leather rocking chairs on our shady covered porch was most enjoyable.

Crocodile Bay continues to "rock" ... we'll be back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Crocodile Bay Resort? Share your experiences!