“Family trip” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Boca Raton, Florida
“Family trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is our second trip to the same place. Considering how big or small this globe, coming to the same place more than once, means only one - we liked first time.

The place is outstanding. Friendliness is just everywhere. Starting at meeting you in San Jose airport, then at Puerto Jimenez airport and then at front desk of the lodge. Its actually starts from their representative in USA. Place is exotic and at the same time its very secure. Its all inclusive and by second day they know your taste in drinks, food and desserts. The food quality is very good even for picky eaters (my smaller one). Sleep quality is very good - however around 5 am parrots will make so much noise reminding that's it time to wake up and go fish. The boats are well stocked with all kind drinks (beer, water, juices), lunches and fruits. Equipment on my boat was mainly Penn, which is not my favorite brand, but of good quality. Captains and crew wants you to catch fish and they are trying hard to make it happened. My small one was catching large roosters at least 2-3 per day. There are top spa at resort, but this time we did not use it. From previous visit it was very good quality. There are additional eco tours. We went to cocoa farm or "chocolate" farm for morning half day tour and it was a blast. We tried all kind of exotic fruits and sugar cane. Then it was fruits with 100% chocolate. We also took another horse riding tours in afternoon and kids had blast.

The small one wants to come back next year.

Room Tip: Does not matter. If you want better Wi-Fi - stay closer to lodge. We were at last one from lodge and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Western Springs, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent two nights at Crocodile Bay and one day fishing this past June. The resort was beautiful and the entire staff warm, outgoing, very much interested in making our visit a great one. We fished during the 'off' season - and caught a couple tuna, a sailfish, needle fish and mackerel. Our two knowledgeable guides had us on top of these fish in no time. We also got up close and personal with a couple killer whales! What a memorable visit! If this was Crocodile Bay fishing during the 'off' season, I'm dying to get back to experience in-season fishing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We visited Crocodile Bay Resort February of 2012. The kids (8 and 11) loved this "fishing resort" as did we. Although not glamorous, it was perfect for a family getaway!!!!! Upon arrival we were greeted with drinks. The staff asked the kids their favorite fruits and about half hour later, when we sat down to eat lunch, the waitress brought over freshly cut mangos and watermelon which were delicious. I developed a cold upon arrival, was given medications by the staff from the hotel and the next day I was personally driven with a staff member to the nearest drug store.
The customer service was amazing and the food was delicious and fresh. The hotel grows most of its vegetables and fruits, which is a definite plus. Also our first day we were taken to the alligator swamp, which was very cool, and will never be forgotten by the kids or us. We went on multiple excursions during our stay all of which were accompanied by one of the staff members from the resort. We went on a fishing trip which again is unforgettable, we caught 2 sailfish and saw hundreds of dolphins and baby dolphins in the ocean swimming alongside the boat. Another group saw a whale during their fishing trip.
Although the resort is located on the ocean, the hotel does not have an onsite beach. NO Worries, upon your request a staff member will drive you 5 minutes away to a beautiful beach and will pick you up upon request!!!!!!
I still haven’t mentioned that all the excursions and even when going to the beach the hotel will pack a cooler with drinks, bear, snacks, sandwiches to make your trip more pleasurable.
Although not glamorous, it was one of the best vacations we ever went on. In my opinion, this resort beats any excursions or stays in the Caribbean if you are looking for exciting time with fresh local food and extremity friendly and personable staff!!!!!! This resort is good for family getaways, fishing trips, and a great way to relax while exploring Costa Rica and its culture!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very spacious and clean.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

What an amazing place in the middle of no where. Pristine fishing in a beautiful untouched surrounding. The lodge had everything you could want, and the staff was amazing. They cater to your every need. Describing the food could take hours. We had fresh sashimi nightly when we came in from a long day on the water. Yellow fin tuna, red snapper, and endless others. I spent one afternoon at the spa and had one of the best massages of my life. I'm in love with this place and anyone who is looking for a touch of adventure with all the luxury you could ask for, this place is a must.
The only negative about this place is it is a little tough to get to. You have to overnight in San Jose then fly in on a small crop duster, but that only adds to the adventure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The resort speaks for itself. The grounds, sleeping rooms and location are absolutely beautiful! The staff were amazing (and I'm in the hotel industry, so I recognize everything)! From the time Carlos picked us up at the airport, Olympia singing us a welcome, Dennis taking us on the Rainforest excursion (I highly recommend), Todd making the arrangements for our fishing trips with an amazing Captain (Fredi) & Mate (Humberto), the restaurant staff preparing the fish we caught each day & accommodating our food requests, and housekeeping as they left something fun in our room each day...our honeymoon could have not been better...with only one exception, we wanted to stay longer. A huge hug and big thank you goes out to each and everyone of the staff at the Crocodile Bay Resort for making us feel very special and part of your family! We'll be back with the kiddos!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My Boyfriend and I just got back from a fishing trip and had a blast. Everyone at the resort was extremely friendly. They really aim to please their guests. We had Cap. Will! He was great! wen just got back in april and we saw several sail fish. I also caught a 30lb roster as my first salt water fish. After a great day of fishing there is a relaxing pool and spa. There are also great tours too! My boyfriend and I hiked in the rainforest seeing all sorts of wild life and it was beautiful. Our tour guide was great! I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say abut this place. You can even ride a bike into town or the staff will drive you to the beach before dinner. Everything was great....Fishing....Clean Rooms....Food (always had fresh fish to eat)...Staff....Spa...Tours...Pool...what more could you want?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I had a great time at Crocodile Bay. For some of us it was our first time in Costa Rica and what a great first impression. I could get into describing the place, the fishing, the ecotours, etc. but what really made this place a standout was the people. Everyone at Crocodile Bay was friendly,warm, attentive, and genuine. I also work in the hospitality industry and the people make the difference. To give you an example of above and beyond, I personally wanted a shot at catching a Sailfish on a fly. I booked two days fishing during our stay, one for blue water and Sailfish, the other for inshore with the family. I had a few shots at Sails on my day, but did not successfully land one on the fly.... The next day we went inshore but the fishing was very slow. Well, you're thinking, that's how it goes sometimes. They call it fishing, not catching. However, to my amazement, Todd (the fishing director) came and asked me if I would like to go out one more day to try to turn the fishing karma around and actually land a Sailfish. I could not believe the generosity of his offer!!!! After consulting with the family, I took him up on his offer and had an EPIC day!!! I did land a monster Sailfish and had many more shots including a double. While playing the sail, the rod Todd had provided me broke. When I got back to the pier, I offered to at least pay for the rod, but Todd gracefully declined and said that all that mattered to him was that I caught my first Sailfish..... Definitely a destination where people really care about your experience!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Crocodile Bay Resort? Share your experiences!