“Amazing Resort & Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Amazing Resort & Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The resort speaks for itself. The grounds, sleeping rooms and location are absolutely beautiful! The staff were amazing (and I'm in the hotel industry, so I recognize everything)! From the time Carlos picked us up at the airport, Olympia singing us a welcome, Dennis taking us on the Rainforest excursion (I highly recommend), Todd making the arrangements for our fishing trips with an amazing Captain (Fredi) & Mate (Humberto), the restaurant staff preparing the fish we caught each day & accommodating our food requests, and housekeeping as they left something fun in our room each day...our honeymoon could have not been better...with only one exception, we wanted to stay longer. A huge hug and big thank you goes out to each and everyone of the staff at the Crocodile Bay Resort for making us feel very special and part of your family! We'll be back with the kiddos!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My Boyfriend and I just got back from a fishing trip and had a blast. Everyone at the resort was extremely friendly. They really aim to please their guests. We had Cap. Will! He was great! wen just got back in april and we saw several sail fish. I also caught a 30lb roster as my first salt water fish. After a great day of fishing there is a relaxing pool and spa. There are also great tours too! My boyfriend and I hiked in the rainforest seeing all sorts of wild life and it was beautiful. Our tour guide was great! I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say abut this place. You can even ride a bike into town or the staff will drive you to the beach before dinner. Everything was great....Fishing....Clean Rooms....Food (always had fresh fish to eat)...Staff....Spa...Tours...Pool...what more could you want?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I had a great time at Crocodile Bay. For some of us it was our first time in Costa Rica and what a great first impression. I could get into describing the place, the fishing, the ecotours, etc. but what really made this place a standout was the people. Everyone at Crocodile Bay was friendly,warm, attentive, and genuine. I also work in the hospitality industry and the people make the difference. To give you an example of above and beyond, I personally wanted a shot at catching a Sailfish on a fly. I booked two days fishing during our stay, one for blue water and Sailfish, the other for inshore with the family. I had a few shots at Sails on my day, but did not successfully land one on the fly.... The next day we went inshore but the fishing was very slow. Well, you're thinking, that's how it goes sometimes. They call it fishing, not catching. However, to my amazement, Todd (the fishing director) came and asked me if I would like to go out one more day to try to turn the fishing karma around and actually land a Sailfish. I could not believe the generosity of his offer!!!! After consulting with the family, I took him up on his offer and had an EPIC day!!! I did land a monster Sailfish and had many more shots including a double. While playing the sail, the rod Todd had provided me broke. When I got back to the pier, I offered to at least pay for the rod, but Todd gracefully declined and said that all that mattered to him was that I caught my first Sailfish..... Definitely a destination where people really care about your experience!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was at Crocodile Bay for a week mid February. I traveled with my father and we were there to celebrate his 70th Birthday. Our experience with CB was excellent!!

Were to start.....

Planning the trip: The CB people were excellent to deal with in all of the planning stages. Communication was excellent, inquires were promptly and professionally answered. At one point, I had some fishing related questions and the fishing director replied by email and then personally called me with all the answers.

Arrival in CR: This is the sort of operation whereby once you've cleared the airport arrivals process and you locate the CB representative, you need not worry about a thing until your time with them is over (either when they take you back at the airport to head home or in our case, have you safely heading off towards your next destination within Costa Rica). Our package included a one night stay in San Jose (Doubletree Cariari which was more than adequate) and then a morning flight on Nature Air to Puerto Jimenez and the resort. All of the transfers were on time, seamless and could not have been better.

Arrival at the Resort: When my father and I arrived on the property, things were quiet because most guests were out fishing in the boats. However, we were warmly greeted by the resort General Manager (Beau), the Fishing Director (Todd) and a wonderful woman named Olympia whose mission it seems is to make sure that all guests are happy all of the time!

The resort itself. The resort is very nice. The place is clean, tidy and well kept overall. The dining room selections were numerous with lots of variety. We focused as much as possible on the fish (very fresh!! when they say catch of the day they often mean, "it was caught less that 6 hours ago and usually by the resort guests") The bar has an excellent variety of top shelf choices. The bar was an interesting place as it was the afternoon hub for happy hour and the exchange of the daily fish stories. Also prominent in the bar is the "fish board" were everyone can see what species were caught that day, by who, what boats, captains etc... Our room was of the standard variety. It was clean, everything worked and the housekeeping staff looked after us well. The pool, pool bar and other common areas were all well looked after. The pool bar was quiet for most of the day until the boats came in when it picked up for a few hours..... again, a place to tell your stores of the days action on the ocean!

The Fishing: We fished 3 full days. In those 3 days, between my father and I, We released 10 of the 20 Sailfish that our boats raised. We also went 3 for 5 on Dorado. I also caught a 35lb Rooster (that fish was caught out of a kayak and that is a different story!) I would say the the fishing was a success! We went there with very high expectation for the fishing and we came away satisfied with our fishing results. We fished both on the 24ft Boston Whaler Outrage boats (1 day) and the 33ft Strike Tower boats (2 Days). All of the boats and the crews (Captains and mates) that we dealt with were excellent! The boats are very well maintained and the crews very experienced and motivated. It seems like these guys, although it is a job, LOVE to be out there fishing. One captain (Oldemar) who we fished with for two days told me at 630am one day that "heading out to the ocean to try and get these fish was his favorite time of the day"! Our other Captain (Cristian) and mate (Hans) worked very hard to get the fish (which we did!). They it seems, would have taken it harder than us if we didn't catch fish. These guys love to fish and it shows!!!

One other important note: The staff!! They are outstanding and make the whole experience that much better. Todd, the Fishing Director, looks after all things fishing related. Despite some very difficult things happening in his life during the time we were there. He was still able to find the time and energy to talk with all the guests and put together a fishing plan, be on the docks when the boats went out and when they returned. They are running a very refined and professional fishing operation at CB and Todd is a huge part of that. In the bar and dinning room, Helen, Rebeca, Maria, Flo, Olympia and others whose names escape me, All excellent! Very hardworking, yet still friendly and engaging! The Eco Tour Staff, Drivers, Housekeepers.... they all seem to go out of their way at this place..

Overall: An excellent trip to a top notch and very well run resort. It met expectations in all areas and was great place to celebrate a 70th Birthday with my father. I have had this place on my radar for a while and I now regret not actually going sooner I will be however, be joining the large number of loyal return guests that CB fully deserves to have.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my first time to Costa Rica. My husband & I were there with another couple to celebrate a birthday. We traveled from Tampa, Fl. We planned to stay at Crocodile Bay to do a 3-day off-shore fishing excursion. I did not know what to expect but I was happy when we were greeted upon our arrival by Olympia....who smiled as she sang every word of welcome to us. The rooms were very clean with all white linens and hard wood floors, very simple yet inviting. There were no TVs in our room, however, that didn't seem to bother us any.
There was a common dining hall, where we ate all of our meals (all inclusive) and the staff was very friendly. In the afternoons, there was music playing by the pool and appetizers served. The fishing charter was very professional.My husband had a great time catching a 200lb. marlin, also the infamous Rooster Fish. Each day, Olympia would ask us what we wished to have packed for food/drink in preparation of each day's excursion. We also signed up for surf lessons and had fun zip-lining through the jungle. We had a great time making memories in Costa Rica! The land is beautiful and the people were friendly....we are looking forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Francestown, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We went on a large private boat 4 of us my husband myself and two 14 year olds . We raised 7 sailfish caught 4 and my 14 year old got his first rooster !! fantastic crew beautiful place cooler packed with enough food for all of us and you know how much boys can eat the Captain Pesca and Steven were so helpful and a big thank you to Todd who care us a upgrade on the boat . we will be back again next year The Kazanovicz family

• Stayed February 2013
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I think this was our 8th year of visiting Crocodile Bay Resort. The staff is always excellent, efficient, friendly and welcoming - they've become a second family to us.

Fishing with Anthony was wonderful (and always full of crazy fun). Meals & accommodations have always been top notch, but I think the food was better than ever this trip! Spa treatments were divine.

Our sweet & lovely housekeeper, Madeline, helped me a bit with my Spanish as did Maria, Flory & Helen in the dining room (thanks for your patience & for not laughing when we "tried" to place orders in Spanish).

As always, front office staff was great - Olympia continues to make everyone smile and laugh. On occasion, Angel rocked the dining room service too (good job raising an amazing daughter, Beau!) .

Todd Staley has become a true & treasured friend. His calm nature; knowledge of conservation & fishery science, and tales of life adventures is a valued resource many other lodges can't offer.

We're loyal CB customers because the total experience is constantly exceptional. CB has treated us (and several of our friends who've joined us there) like we're honored family members, and each trip has provided different, amazing adventures & fond memories.

Room Tip: We like the second floor rooms located near trees - easier to spot the Scarlet Macaws and Iguanas an...