“Great First Impression of Costa Rica” 4 of 5 stars

Crocodile Bay Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Airport Road, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Tampa, Florida
“Great First Impression of Costa Rica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my first time to Costa Rica. My husband & I were there with another couple to celebrate a birthday. We traveled from Tampa, Fl. We planned to stay at Crocodile Bay to do a 3-day off-shore fishing excursion. I did not know what to expect but I was happy when we were greeted upon our arrival by Olympia....who smiled as she sang every word of welcome to us. The rooms were very clean with all white linens and hard wood floors, very simple yet inviting. There were no TVs in our room, however, that didn't seem to bother us any.
There was a common dining hall, where we ate all of our meals (all inclusive) and the staff was very friendly. In the afternoons, there was music playing by the pool and appetizers served. The fishing charter was very professional.My husband had a great time catching a 200lb. marlin, also the infamous Rooster Fish. Each day, Olympia would ask us what we wished to have packed for food/drink in preparation of each day's excursion. We also signed up for surf lessons and had fun zip-lining through the jungle. We had a great time making memories in Costa Rica! The land is beautiful and the people were friendly....we are looking forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

97 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Francestown, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

We went on a large private boat 4 of us my husband myself and two 14 year olds . We raised 7 sailfish caught 4 and my 14 year old got his first rooster !! fantastic crew beautiful place cooler packed with enough food for all of us and you know how much boys can eat the Captain Pesca and Steven were so helpful and a big thank you to Todd who care us a upgrade on the boat . we will be back again next year The Kazanovicz family

• Stayed February 2013
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I think this was our 8th year of visiting Crocodile Bay Resort. The staff is always excellent, efficient, friendly and welcoming - they've become a second family to us.

Fishing with Anthony was wonderful (and always full of crazy fun). Meals & accommodations have always been top notch, but I think the food was better than ever this trip! Spa treatments were divine.

Our sweet & lovely housekeeper, Madeline, helped me a bit with my Spanish as did Maria, Flory & Helen in the dining room (thanks for your patience & for not laughing when we "tried" to place orders in Spanish).

As always, front office staff was great - Olympia continues to make everyone smile and laugh. On occasion, Angel rocked the dining room service too (good job raising an amazing daughter, Beau!) .

Todd Staley has become a true & treasured friend. His calm nature; knowledge of conservation & fishery science, and tales of life adventures is a valued resource many other lodges can't offer.

We're loyal CB customers because the total experience is constantly exceptional. CB has treated us (and several of our friends who've joined us there) like we're honored family members, and each trip has provided different, amazing adventures & fond memories.

Room Tip: We like the second floor rooms located near trees - easier to spot the Scarlet Macaws and Iguanas an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I don't even know where to being to explain the experience I had at this resort. By FAR the best, most accommodating, helpful, genuine, caring and amazing people I have ever met work at this amazing resort. Our trip didn't turn out as planned due to medical issues but this staff in its entirety was nothing short of amazing. I will be back to enjoy all they have to offer! The food was incredible, beautiful location and the #1 of all is the staff. If you are considering visiting crocodile bay resort...do not hesitate another minute. I am forever great full to these people and I look forward to returning!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

A trip to remember! Everything was in great order when we arrived! EVERY staff member was wonderful and attended to our needs, whatever they were!
With ages ranging from 1 yr to 60's and interest from fishing, spa and nature they had it all covered for everyone! The rainforest trip with Diego was fantastic and we saw and learned so much! Diego also took us on the sunset kayak trip which didn't yield a great sunset due to afternoon showers but it was beautiful and lots of fun! Diego rocks! Others who fished were delighted with Hermann and Manfred as captain and mate! Todd and Capt. Will were always close for interesting conversation about their lives, travel and working at Crocodile Bay and of course handling all the fishing folks in our group! Food was great and we were lucky to eat the catches from our group of tuna, prepared as we liked! We also enjoyed the lovely songs that Olympia sang throughout the week...beautiful people here...Highly recommended..... OVERALL...FANTASTIC, LIFE CHANGING AND MOST ENJOYABLE TRIP FOR US AND OUR EXTENDED FAMILY!
WILL NOT FORGET THIS ONE!!!

Room Tip: We were in the 25-28 building on the bottom! Great location to pool, lodge, pier and lots of nature...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is an amazing place. I brought my family here and I couldn't be happier I did. The grounds where great, the fishing was outstanding and convenient, the area is beautiful, and the spa is luxurious. But the greatest part of crocodile bay was the staff.
When we first arrived we were met my the owners. They treated us more like we were family than resort guest. Maria (Sever and bartender) is one of the sweetest people we ever meet. We cant wait to get back down and see her again. Elio was our eco guide for a couple of days. He was so kind and extremely knowledgeable. We where very grateful to spend the day with him.
We went fishing only one day and we had a blast. The captain and mate knew the waters inside and out. They were extremely patient with our 3 year old (little Rock) and now he is obsessed with fishing. We would have had a great time if we didn't catch anything but the captain and mate made sure that wasn't the case. We caught a lot of fish including sharks and rosters. Im sure we would have gotten some sails that day but we wanted to stay fairly inshore because of our son.
We also went on a tour one day of gulf. That was the one of the best days I ever had. The staff took us out in a boston whaler. The gulf was as flat as a sheet of glass. Dolphin cam right up to the boat and stayed with us for about 10-15 minuets. After that we cruised from empty beach to empty beach. We snorkeled, hiked, ate lunch and drank ice cold beer. unbelievable day.
The food was awesome. Fish caught that day and many other delicious options for people who don't care for seafood. Did I mention how cold the beer was?
Carlos was extremely helpful and great company. When we left, he took us to the airport. He was waving goodbye as we were taxiing out and our 3 year old was almost in tears. He kept looking at him and saying "Carlos no!". He was devastated that Carlos wasn't coming with us.
We have traveled extensively through Central America and the Caribbean. As much as I enjoyed every place we've traveled to, I never want to go back to the same place we have been. There are just too many places to see. Crocodile Bay however is different. We will be back as soon as we can. This place is special and we look forward to seeing everyone again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The staff was awesome!! The fishing could have been better but the captain's were very knowledgeable which leads me to believe the fish just weren't cooperating. The mates are great as well, especially Manfred who tied the line of one rod (the reel's drag broke) to another while the fish was still on and we ended up getting the dorado in and eating it that night. Overall the resort is so amazing and the eco tours are great with those who know their stuff and the boats are perfect. Thank you Bo and Cory for putting this awesome resort together. I hope it's not the last time I stay at crocodile bay.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Crocodile Bay Resort? Share your experiences!