“Our 8th year & Crocodile Bay continues to please...” 5 of 5 stars

Crocodile Bay Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Airport Road, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Oregon
“Our 8th year & Crocodile Bay continues to please...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I think this was our 8th year of visiting Crocodile Bay Resort. The staff is always excellent, efficient, friendly and welcoming - they've become a second family to us.

Fishing with Anthony was wonderful (and always full of crazy fun). Meals & accommodations have always been top notch, but I think the food was better than ever this trip! Spa treatments were divine.

Our sweet & lovely housekeeper, Madeline, helped me a bit with my Spanish as did Maria, Flory & Helen in the dining room (thanks for your patience & for not laughing when we "tried" to place orders in Spanish).

As always, front office staff was great - Olympia continues to make everyone smile and laugh. On occasion, Angel rocked the dining room service too (good job raising an amazing daughter, Beau!) .

Todd Staley has become a true & treasured friend. His calm nature; knowledge of conservation & fishery science, and tales of life adventures is a valued resource many other lodges can't offer.

We're loyal CB customers because the total experience is constantly exceptional. CB has treated us (and several of our friends who've joined us there) like we're honored family members, and each trip has provided different, amazing adventures & fond memories.

Room Tip: We like the second floor rooms located near trees - easier to spot the Scarlet Macaws and Iguanas an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I don't even know where to being to explain the experience I had at this resort. By FAR the best, most accommodating, helpful, genuine, caring and amazing people I have ever met work at this amazing resort. Our trip didn't turn out as planned due to medical issues but this staff in its entirety was nothing short of amazing. I will be back to enjoy all they have to offer! The food was incredible, beautiful location and the #1 of all is the staff. If you are considering visiting crocodile bay resort...do not hesitate another minute. I am forever great full to these people and I look forward to returning!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

A trip to remember! Everything was in great order when we arrived! EVERY staff member was wonderful and attended to our needs, whatever they were!
With ages ranging from 1 yr to 60's and interest from fishing, spa and nature they had it all covered for everyone! The rainforest trip with Diego was fantastic and we saw and learned so much! Diego also took us on the sunset kayak trip which didn't yield a great sunset due to afternoon showers but it was beautiful and lots of fun! Diego rocks! Others who fished were delighted with Hermann and Manfred as captain and mate! Todd and Capt. Will were always close for interesting conversation about their lives, travel and working at Crocodile Bay and of course handling all the fishing folks in our group! Food was great and we were lucky to eat the catches from our group of tuna, prepared as we liked! We also enjoyed the lovely songs that Olympia sang throughout the week...beautiful people here...Highly recommended..... OVERALL...FANTASTIC, LIFE CHANGING AND MOST ENJOYABLE TRIP FOR US AND OUR EXTENDED FAMILY!
WILL NOT FORGET THIS ONE!!!

Room Tip: We were in the 25-28 building on the bottom! Great location to pool, lodge, pier and lots of nature...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is an amazing place. I brought my family here and I couldn't be happier I did. The grounds where great, the fishing was outstanding and convenient, the area is beautiful, and the spa is luxurious. But the greatest part of crocodile bay was the staff.
When we first arrived we were met my the owners. They treated us more like we were family than resort guest. Maria (Sever and bartender) is one of the sweetest people we ever meet. We cant wait to get back down and see her again. Elio was our eco guide for a couple of days. He was so kind and extremely knowledgeable. We where very grateful to spend the day with him.
We went fishing only one day and we had a blast. The captain and mate knew the waters inside and out. They were extremely patient with our 3 year old (little Rock) and now he is obsessed with fishing. We would have had a great time if we didn't catch anything but the captain and mate made sure that wasn't the case. We caught a lot of fish including sharks and rosters. Im sure we would have gotten some sails that day but we wanted to stay fairly inshore because of our son.
We also went on a tour one day of gulf. That was the one of the best days I ever had. The staff took us out in a boston whaler. The gulf was as flat as a sheet of glass. Dolphin cam right up to the boat and stayed with us for about 10-15 minuets. After that we cruised from empty beach to empty beach. We snorkeled, hiked, ate lunch and drank ice cold beer. unbelievable day.
The food was awesome. Fish caught that day and many other delicious options for people who don't care for seafood. Did I mention how cold the beer was?
Carlos was extremely helpful and great company. When we left, he took us to the airport. He was waving goodbye as we were taxiing out and our 3 year old was almost in tears. He kept looking at him and saying "Carlos no!". He was devastated that Carlos wasn't coming with us.
We have traveled extensively through Central America and the Caribbean. As much as I enjoyed every place we've traveled to, I never want to go back to the same place we have been. There are just too many places to see. Crocodile Bay however is different. We will be back as soon as we can. This place is special and we look forward to seeing everyone again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

The staff was awesome!! The fishing could have been better but the captain's were very knowledgeable which leads me to believe the fish just weren't cooperating. The mates are great as well, especially Manfred who tied the line of one rod (the reel's drag broke) to another while the fish was still on and we ended up getting the dorado in and eating it that night. Overall the resort is so amazing and the eco tours are great with those who know their stuff and the boats are perfect. Thank you Bo and Cory for putting this awesome resort together. I hope it's not the last time I stay at crocodile bay.

• Stayed December 2012
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Crocodile Bay was my husband's dream trip--obviously for the fishing. My daughter and I went with some apprehension. But we were so pleased. The staff was wonderful in accommodating us, including my daughter's disabilities.
FISHING - My husband went out on the boat two days and caught 8 rooster fish--varying in size up to 40 lb, plus a 35-40 lb cubera snapper, a mackeral, a 10-lb pompano, a 25-lb jack crevalle, and other fish. He also fished from the pier 5 of the 6 days we were there. Todd, the manager of all things fishing, was excellent. The fishing equipment is really top-of-the-line, new, well-cared for. The boats are recent vintage and in great condition. He and all of his staff, including Christian, who captained the boat my husband was on, are professionals who treat it as a business and work hard to make their customers happy.
STAFF - At the end of the day, people come in to the bar and talk about their catch. Always enjoyable. Maria, Flora, Rebecca, in the bar and dining room were great. They were so kind to my daughter and so thoughtful in dealing with her. Olympia was awesome; she and my daughter had a vibe going right away.
FOOD - All of the food was awesome, the fish you catch--cooked to your order--tastes incredible! The food was great, but the fish was in a class all its own--awesome. The American feast we had for Thanksgiving was so good and so special.

TOURS - We told them before the trip that we wanted to go on the monkey tour but my daughter couldn't do the walking required deeper in the rainforest. Without missing a beat, Diego, our tour guide, changed the trip so it would be entirely by auto, with just stops to get out and look. We saw scarlet macaws, toucans, agouti, the four types of monkeys,. We will never forget Diego howling to the howling monkeys to get them to come lower in the trees.
The wildlife sanctuary is very remote and such a treat. Don't miss it.

GROUNDS, ACCOMMODATIONS - Walking through the grounds after a rain, with the scent of the y'lang y'lang tree (from which Chanel No. 5 is made) drifting in the air--smelled like heaven.
The grounds themselves at Crocodile Bay are worth just wandering and walking around. First, you should go with Dennis or Diego (who direct tours), so you know what to look for -- then walk around on your own. My daughter has balance problems due to disabilities so she couldn't fish. We stayed behind and toured the grounds while my husband fished. We saw hawks, crocodiles, a Jesus Christ lizard (so named because it appears to walk on water), and the infinitely watchable leaf-cutter ants.
We would suggest having your camera with you every moment of your trip. You never know when you will see something amazing and beautiful... scarlet macaws in a tree next to your room--munching on goodies on the almond tree; we saw beautiful butterflies, exotic birds and flowers and on and on.
WEATHER - We did have rain, but it was mostly at night when the activities of the day were done, so we never had a time that it kept us from doing anything. In fact, we thought the cloud cover was an advantage, as it kept the sun from being too hot. For us, Thanksgiving was a great time to be there.
Unforgettable place, unforgettable people.

Room Tip: We were told the second-floor rooms were better - closer to the trees, nice view of the birds as you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I booked a last minute fishing trip to Costa Rica in the shoulder season (Nov) before starting a new job, and as a solo, female traveler, I was understandably a little apprehensive. However, the Crocodile Bay team was amazingly courteous and more than accommodating. The staff took care of my every need, ensuring I was not only safe and secure, but also pampered and looked after. They even helped match me up with other guests for fishing trips, which saved me from having to book a boat on my own and dishing out a small fortune.

Without a doubt, the customer service here is beyond what I've experienced at posh resorts and hotels. I'll for sure go back and stay at the Crocodile Bay Resort!

PROS:
+ Service with a smile. Knowledgeable and friendly staff. Funny fishermen.
+ The grounds are absolutely lush with tropical vegetation, beautiful birds, wild iguanas, and yes, an actual crocodile bay!
+ Conveniently located right by its own dock, it's super easy to walk from your room at the resort to your fishing vessel for the day. Oh, and all of the fishing packages include a packed lunch, drinks and BEER! :-)
+ The cabins and facilities were surprisingly modern...refreshingly cold A/C, plenty of ceiling fans, US-friendly electrical sockets, hot/cold showers, comfy beds, and brace yourselves: a fully functioning, luxurious spa! Nothing like a "sportsman massage" after a day at sea reeling in marlin!
+ Additional perks: Free, unlimited Wifi in the main building; pool w/bar and waterfall (perfect for a post-fishing or post-kayaking dip)

CONS:
- I'd barely call this a con, but if I absolutely had to be picky, then I'd say it would have been maybe a bit more convenient to have in-room WiFi
- The resort was not as convenient/close to the black sand beaches as I had originally thought, BUT I took a 1/2 day kayak tour and we stopped along one for lunch, so I got my black sand beach fix after all (along with a show of frolicking dolphins!)

Room Tip: If possible, try to get the top floor of a bungalow/cabin. Better view of the grounds, and I'd...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Crocodile Bay Resort? Share your experiences!