“Truckin' with Andy” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Santo Domingo de Heredia, Costa Rica
“Truckin' with Andy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Andy, the guru of Adventure, makes it all so easy for a fellow migrator lookin' to connect with nature. Knowledgable, laidback and like your favorite uncle, Andy doesn't so much lead as he does gently guide. Never climbed a waterfall before, but I did with Andy. Never had miniscule shrimp give me a pedicure before, but I did with Andy (It tickles). Never drank chrystal clear water from the jungle, but I did with Andy. And I have never, ever, in my wildest dreams climbed a seventy foot fig tree, then jumped with a guide rope attached to my harness and swing out suspended in space to experience the rush of your life! How did Bob Dylan put it? "To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand wavin' free". Total liberation and something I'd never attempted had I not been in the presence of Swami Andy. A once in a lifetime exprerience; don't miss this trip! And remember, when you get to the fig tree, "Doubt your Doubt". Andy of Mayberry's got your back.

Visited January 2013

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Eating termites on Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My nephew and I started our two week stay in Costa Rica spending a couple of nights in Andy and Terry's chaming beach guest house. You thought you were in a tropical paradise. On Christmas we did the jungle hike, tree climbing and waterfall rappelling tour with Andy who was a great and enthusiastic guide. He was very knowledgeable about the jungle habitat and animals. At the end of the tour we sampled some live termites which actually weren't bad. The next day they arranged surfing lessons for us. We purchased food ahead of time and cooked all of our meals. Cabo Matapalo is off the beaten path and you certainly need a 4wheel drive vehicle as the 18k drive from Puerto Jimenez is pretty bad but the end result is worth it. It was a great way to start our trip.

Visited December 2012
Chicago
12 attraction reviews
“Tarzan Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Our group signed up for just the tree climb, and it was great. The hike to the tree is pretty exhilarating on its own as you hike across, through and then up a river to a waterfall. Our guide, Scrappy, was great, helping us in and out of our harnesses and then up and down the tree. This is a Costa Rican experience you will not soon forget!

Visited January 2013
Portland, Oregon
“I wish I had this in my backyard!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nothing compares. This is the best adventure in Costa Rica, hands down. One of the only guided tours I would do again. Andy, the guide, is hilarious and full of interesting information about the jungle. Do it at the beginning of your trip so you can use your learned material throughout your remaining time in Matapalo. The tree climb gives you a feel of what it's like to be a monkey and the water repel is well, exhilarating to say the least! Do it, go.

Visited August 2012
Columbus, Wisconsin
10 attraction reviews
“Everyday Adventures August 2012”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

During our stay at Casa Dos Rios, near Matapalo on the Osa Peninsula, we booked a tour with Andy. We started with a wonderful hike and climb up the river canyon, where we were able to spot a fer-de-lance and poison dart tree frog right on the riverbank. Monkeys and agoutis were also abundant during the tour. He also took us to the giant strangler fig tree above King Louie's waterfall. To our surprise, because we hadn't requested it, he hooked us up to his climbing harnesses, and we climbed that tree and then jumped from the top and swung! What a thrill! Andy was incredibly knowledgable about the local fauna and their relationships to each other, and was very patient with our kids and their questions. He was also very open, inviting us at the end of the hike to join him and his family at his beautiful home on the beach. We couldn't have been more impressed!

Visited August 2012