“Fabulous Beach Front Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Agua Dulce Beach Resort

You added Agua Dulce Beach Resort to your Saves list
Agua Dulce Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Beach Road | Playa Platanres, Puerto Jimenez 506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous Beach Front Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Costa Rica for our first time over the Christmas holidays. Our first stop was Puerto Jimenez in the Osa Peninsula. We were nervous about our journey to this more rustic area of the country but our two night stay over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at the Agua Dulce Resort made our journey and stay there a very pleasant one. We had emailed back and forth many times with Chris and even after confirming our room reservation, Chris continued to be available to provide advice and suggestions about the other areas of the country that we were interested in. Chris also set us up with a wonderfully knowledeable and experienced local tour guide, Vilmer, who took us to Corcovado National Park where we had a fabulous time.

In my opinion, Agua Dulce has the best location in all of Puerto Jimenez. The beach was an untouched natural gem, very beautiful and quiet. It was only a short drive to town and the beachfront location was unmatched.

The rooms were very nicely equipped and clean. We had a standard room beside the pool with two beds, a private bath, and access to a sitting room with a refrigerator. The pool and grounds are beautifully maintained and feel very safe and clean.

We enjoyed the restaurant very much. Jeff was not only an excellent chef but also a very friendly and helpful person. Although he keeps busy in the kitchen, he makes time to talk to the guests and get to know them and he was very accommodating to make us a breakfast at 5:45 am on Christmas Day before we head out on an all day excursion in the National Park.

Overall every staff member we interacted with, either management, kitchen staff, or servers, were very welcoming, friendly, and pleasant. We were sad to leave but happy to have such fond memories of our time there. I strongly recommend Agua Dulce for anyone wishing to visit the Osa Peninsula, whether adventure seekers (there's lots to do in the area) or poolside/beach lovers. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just as advertised on their website! My husband and I stayed at Agua Dulce Beach Resort over the Christmas Holiday for 3 nights and were thrilled with our decision! After reading all the reviews here on Trip Advisor we were a little skeptical because they were all 100% excellent! We experienced why!

We reserved a suite on their website and were immediately contacted by Chris thanking us for the reservation, and if we wanted to book tours or needed any help with our travels he would be happy to help. We took him up on his offer and he recommended an excellent hotel in San Jose for our first night, and booked us an amazing kayak tour and dolphin/snorkel tour while at the Resort.

We arrived by Nature Air and were met by Andy to take us to the Resort, and our room was ready when we arrived a little early. Chef Jeff greeted us and showed us to our room. The rooms could use some decoration, but it was clean and well appointed. The beds are new and very comfortable…we both slept great throughout our stay, and the bathroom is large with modern fixtures and amenities. Because we are from Canada we were concerned about the heat so the air conditioning was one of the main reasons (aside from the beach) that we decided to reserve. The room always cooled off in minutes and we were very relieved that we chose Agua Dulce…because it is always hot and humid…even at night!

The Pool and Jacuzzi are huge. Our room had a view of the pool, the beach, and the ocean. When we weren’t out on a tour, we spent a lot of time relaxing around the pool, walking the deserted beach, and watching the macaws and howler monkeys! The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, and we had fresh flowers on our beds each day from their gardens…nice touch!
I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff here! From the housekeepers and even the maintenance staff (one of them even opened a coconut for me!) we felt very well taken care of. Chef Jeff seems to be everywhere…one evening when Minor the very awesome bartender was very busy fixing drinks, Chef Jeff saw us from the kitchen waiting for a drink… and he came out to fix us drinks! We traveled to many places and never received the attentive service that we got at Agua Dulce!

We like to think of ourselves as kind of foodies…so let me tell you, Chef Jeff Can Cook!! Breakfast is included, so we were up at the restaurant each morning around 7:00…fresh coffee and orange juice, fresh fruit plate, and the homemade quiche is to die for, and my husband loved his banana pancakes every morning!! They have other choices but we loved these! Since we were out on tours the first 2 days we had lunch in the little town… ho-hum. But on our last day we decided to hang around the resort and we had the most amazing burgers for lunch! We ate dinner in the restaurant every evening, Chef Jeff had fresh mahi mahi every night with a mango or pineapple chutney, or bacon wrapped beef tenderloin with garlic mashed potatoes, or a juicy thick cut porkchop with his ju ju slather…incredible! We also had the homemade lasagna one night with a spicy sausage that was nothing short of perfect! Each dinner meal started with Chef Jeff’s bread made that afternoon, followed by a choice of a bowl of homemade soup (I loved the cream of zucchini) or a beautiful garden salad. Just when you think you can’t eat another bite out comes fresh carrot cake, a banana or pineapple flambé, all included in the price of the meal. That’s another thing about this place…we never felt nickeled and dimed for every little thing like you get in so many places. Everything that was included was as promised, even on the menus. When there were additional charges we were told up front, such as tours, taxi transfers, laundry service, etc.,and any meals and drinks besides breakfast. A very refreshing way to run a hotel if you ask me. Chris came and introduced himself to us at our table the second night we were there eating dinner and askedif everything was okay, I asked if there was a way to make an international call and he pulled out his phone and asked for the number and said to talk as long as I needed. I was able to touch base with a sick family member and when I asked Chris how much I owed him for the call he said…nothing, it was his pleasure to help. Service is what makes this place stand out…everything else is a HUGE bonus! Thank you to everyone at Agua Dulce Beach Resort for making our stay perfect. We will be back!

Room Tip: The beachfront and poolside rooms are incredible!
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Well - The place is secluded, The nature is at it's best, The beach has only few wondering souls around.
All of it is very true but be aware of the setting and managing of this place or you might get your holiday quite off the rails just like we did.
First of all I never write reviews and this is my first time on the tripadvisor.- I am a happy traveler.
Booked the suite room about 3 months ago for Christmas celebrations . All communications was just excellent from the beginning with the hotels so called manager Chris.He promised me the taxi and the pick up upon the arrival. Got to the Puerto Jimenez and there was no taxi or frankly talking a car.Found our own way to the property. Chef Jeff greeted us and showed us to the room- He is one kind man and has too much to do! We found the room but we couldn't really open the doors to certain rooms that is a jacuzzi room.After few calls Chef Jeff finds out that the jacuzzi is out of the order still offers us to fill it up and use it as a bath :-) OK we moving to the next room which is our sitting room - there is no furniture ;-( Told us not to worry about the thing, relax and it will get sorted the next day or so. Room didn't have a fridge or any coffee making facilities advertised nor WIFI because we were too far from the router apparently. - I asked them straight away to move me to a different room but they reply was that they got so many people arriving in the next few days that there's no rooms available of any sort yet we came before and booked accommodation months ago.- Next day not a word was said about anything moving or fixing or trying to find a solution. When I asked again the staff just told me that the manager is coming almost coming but I didn't want to wait around and yet again spoke to Chef Jeff who told us that they will down grade from the suite to a standard room-that's OK but that should have been done at the first instance. After all I did get charged the full amount and then Manager Chris gave me some cash back and apologies. -
Menu is very limited at the canteen and the staff is not happy there either- they ran out of black tea, salad leaves and always found an excuse of some sort being at the tropics and not having a good selection of the fruit it's a shame!
We were very pleased to find Iguana Lodge which is next door where we very strongly would advice you and recommend you to go to although it's not the cheapest but it is The BEST on OSA peninsula!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AguaDulceLodge, Public Relations Manager at Agua Dulce Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
As this is our first, and hopefully last poor review on TripAdvisor, we thought it was very important to respond quickly and honestly. I would encourage you as the traveler to please read our most recent 48 reviews, and contact the reviewers directly through this site to verify that they are genuine.

Our guest couple was well within their right to complain about their accommodations. The gentlemen did not receive what was promised to them regarding their suite. Everyone at Agua Dulce Beach Resort apologized profusely and did their best throughout their stay to make sure that our service and everything else regarding their time with us was comfortable, relaxing, fun, and carefree. Chris, the Marketing Director, even met the couple in town on Christmas Day to assure that everything went smoothly regarding reserving a tour to Corcovado National Park the following day.

Chef Jeff is just that…the Chef. He takes on responsibilities every day that are far beyond his job description, because he genuinely cares and he wants to make sure everyone is comfortable and having a great time. He was hurt that you would call his restaurant a canteen, because it is nothing of the sort. As evidenced by our prior reviews, Chef Jeff offers a diverse menu of delicious and incredible meals. Sometimes menu items are sold out, and other times he honestly cannot find all the ingredients he needs. We really are in the middle of the jungle, and we sincerely apologize that the restaurant was not to your liking.
After reviewing our notes, we had requested the taxi transfer service. Again, we apologize that the driver was not there when you arrived and rest assured, we will no longer be doing business with this driver.

Lastly, Agua Dulce Beach Resort seeks to provide an alternative to our next door neighbor, and the majority of properties here that are similar. If you are seeking a screened in room that is exposed to the elements, then we are not the property you are looking for. We are different than this experience on purpose. Agua Dulce provides an accommodation experience unlike anything else that is available on the Osa Peninsula, at an incredible value. The type of guests that stay at Agua Dulce want to experience the jungle during the day, but don’t want to sleep with it at night. Admittedly, we are not the best fit for everyone traveling to the Osa…and neither is our neighbor.

Again, we truly apologize to our guest, we immediately admitted our errors, and tried our best to show these gentlemen a great time.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed at Agua Dulce for one night and were upgraded for free to the suite! Chris was very nice and helpful on the phone from the start, and Jeff was so nice too! He made us feel so welcome with a big smile :) .. The room was air-conditioned. nice big pool, and literally steps to the beach. We were the only ones on the beach that day! Definitely worth it! Thanks! - Monica

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Agua Dulce Resort (and the Osa Peninsula for that matter) is a great place to visit! I went with my family and we had a great time. The rooms are very clean and have a wall AC (which is a great amenity down there); they are pretty basic but they do have a mini fridge. The resort is right on the beach and there is a very nice pool on the property as well. They have a bar/restaurant on site so you don't have to drive the bumpy road into town all the time. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating - I have an allergy and they worked with me on every meal. The food was delicious! The manager was extremely helpful in recommending different day trips for our group and helping us arrange them, we basically just had to show up! We saw lots of macaws, iguana's and monkeys right from the resort - it is a perfect location to experience some natural untouched Costa Rican wildlife and beaches. The Osa Peninsula is great for experiencing untouched wildlife. From San Jose we took a small Nature Air flight which was like a fun sightseeing tour on its own and would recommend that. We also did kayaking, hiking, riding horses on the beach, and sea fishing (they cut it up on the boat and we at it right there - delicious!). We also planned to do a tour of a chocolate farm but sadly it was closed that week (next time!). All of the day trips were great and the resort was perfect, I wish I was back there now! The trip couldn't have been better and I thank the good people of Agua Dulce Resort for making it all happen so smoothly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed 7 wonderful days at Agua Dulce. The staff was AMAZING! The rooms were immaculate, grounds were pristine, and service was unsurpassable. The chef accommodated our large group and food allergies wonderfully. The resort manager took care of all of our entertainment needs...hikes, eco tours, horseback rides. You name it. He organized it and made it happen. The cleaning staff kept the rooms in perfect condition and the wait staff was friendly and helpful. The beach is gorgeous and we had it all to ourselves. The pool was great too! We would definitely recommend staying at this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Alajuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife, my sister in law and I spent two nights at Agua Dulce Beach Report and I can tell you that from the very beginning we felt home with the pleasant way Chris Langos, the manager, welcomed us to the hotel.

The staff of the hotel, specially Chris and Chef Jeff made of our stay in the hotel a very nice experience, always concerned about our needs and questions, and offering a smile every single time, that definitely sells a place and definitely makes us consider to visit Agua Dulce again.

Chef Jeff delighted us with great breakfasts and a wonderful dinner, I highly recommend the bread with smoked cheese, I have no words to describe how good the bread with cheese tastes.

We saw dolphins and whales in the area, hired a guy from the town with a boat that took us to the sea and helped us to reach the area where you can see the dolphins and whales.

For us, that we are "ticos" we found in this hotel a perfect destination for future visits, a family, relaxing place with beautiful spacious rooms and a very nice swimming pool.

The hotel is just in front of the beach (Playa Preciosa) and close by Puerto Jimenez, I strongly recommend you to travel in a 4x4 car, as the roads are not in good shape at all.

Looking forward to visit Agua Dulce Beach Resort soon.

Esteban Arguedas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Agua Dulce Beach Resort? Share your experiences!