“amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Also known as the Santuario Silvestre de Osa . Owned by Carol Crews. $25 admission/donation. All proceeds go into the sanctuary.
Seattle WA
“amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

great boat ride, wonderful beach, awesome coral reef snorkeling! had the beach to ourselves all day long! paradiso! we saw the howler monkeys and enjoyed their company for an hour or so. Beautiful beach combing and shell collecting! pack a cooler and plan on spending the day!

Visited May 2013

Parker, Colorado
“The world needs more people like Carol”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Carol is very knowledgeable and you can tell she loves the animals so much. She has a lot of rules for guests, but that is only because she wants what's best for the animals. I loved her tour and will probobly even send money to help her with her cause. The boat ride over there was also amazing. Worth doing if you are truly an animal lover!!

Visited May 2013
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Osa wildlife sanctuary: excellente!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

" i've been lucky enough to miss school but i couldnt have learned in school what i learned at the sanctuary". Eidan age 11

This review is driven by my son and the experience compelling enough to warrant a few words. We've been traveling through Panama and Southern Costa Rica and our time with Carol, her staff, the animals, the jungle setting, with wild birds and a boa, wild...lounging in the tree ( and Sweetie) was the highlight of our trip. For my teenage girls and 11 year old son to interact so closely with these animals was amazing.

Carol is incredibly knowledgeable and I found her information more than interesting. It is my humbled opinion that it should be noted that Carol is running a rehabilitation center... She is not an entertainer or circus master. She has rules for the safety and preservation of the animals and the people that visit. Her meager donation request of $25 is more than fair. People that earn the money that they spend on travel would never earn and work for free... Why do some people expect that a wildlife refuge then should operate on nothing?

Carol... You and the fact that you and your wildlife refuge influenced the impressionable minds of my children was the highlight of my trip. Like you said... So few people live their passion. I am so happy that you found yours and are willing to share a small part of the process with us. I would love to come and volunteer with you and I hope that for my children. Thankyou for a great morning in Costa Rica.

Visited April 2013
Francestown, New Hampshire
10 attraction reviews
“carol the woman who runs the program is just not very pleasant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

first of all we saw way more animals in the house we were staying at then the sanctuary . That being said it was hot she was not pleasant to the children in fact she was down right nasty I would not recommend a visit to this place was not a good experience

Visited February 2013
Westfield, NJ
3 attraction reviews
“Where concern for animals far exceeds concern for the humans visiting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My family visited on March 26 and I’ll start with the positives first. As many of the reviewers have noted, the work that is being done by the owner, Carol, is admirable and commendable and as a guide she is remarkably knowledgeable about the animals and her tour of the sanctuary is as educational as people say.
About the sanctuary itself, my family loves to see and interact with animals in a variety of settings (it’s the primary reason we visited Costa Rica), but the sanctuary isn’t the must see attraction that many are making it out to be. The spider monkey (Sweetie) that accompanies guests on their tour does put on quite a show – asking to be scratched in specific spots and interacting quite expressively with the visitors. Carol waking up the sloths and then feeding them is interesting to behold, and guests do get to feed almonds to a macaw (more on that later). Beyond that, there really aren’t that many animals and the interaction with them is very limited. Caged animals we saw on our tour were a toucan, a tayra (a weasel-like animal), two capuchins, two peccaries (similar to wild pigs), and another breed of monkey (I think squirrel monkeys). I don’t think I missed any other animals and apologize if I did. We’ve had several other “animal-encounter” experiences that were richer / more varied than what we experienced at the sanctuary (although as noted, the educational quality of what we were told was higher than at other places).
So why the 1 star rating?
First of all, Carol clearly states up front this is an animal sanctuary, not a “zoo” of any kind and I felt it was pretty clear that the main reason we were allowed in the sanctuary at all was that the donations are needed to continue on with the work being done there. When you are there, you are on the animals’ territory and abide by their rules. Ok, fine… but realize that this means that you don’t carry anything into the sanctuary that Sweetie the monkey might want to grab and you certainly won’t be permitted to pull back. This did in fact happen as a bag containing food and water was brought in by another family and when Sweetie pulled at it, it needed to be set aside for the duration of the visit. In fact, you can’t carry water with you, which you should be well aware of when taking kids on an hour and a half tour in the very hot and very humid Osa. You also must do nothing that can in any way be seen as antagonistic to her or any of the other animals (like picking up one of your kids to give them a better look at something). Carol has a very stern demeanor and isn’t particularly gentle in pointing out transgressions, or in very emphatically telling you that you mustn’t look one of the capuchins in the eye or point at it because it finds such gestures upsetting. After two children were scolded for incorrectly offering almonds to the macaw, “remarkably” it was difficult to find a third volunteer to try to do this.
But there was one egregious, and in my opinion, inexcusable issue. Sweetie the spider monkey has a rather large lesion in the middle of her belly. After Carol encouraged our children to indulge Sweetie's requests to be scratched (and they had obliged), someone asked what the lesion was. Carol told us that it was an infection that was in a stable state, and mentioned the name of the bacteria / parasite that Sweetie was infected with. A member of our group was in the medical profession, and was visibly taken aback / a bit shaken. A bit of discussion ensued and it became clear that Sweetie is infected with what we know as “flesh eating bacteria”, and after some discussion about how cases of these have been treated in the US, Carol mentioned (somewhat disdainfully) that the treatments that are approved to be administered in the US really don’t work, but that there are effective medicines used outside of the US. In addition to the large lesion which Carol had told us not to touch, we noticed that Sweetie has other much smaller ones on her body which Carol had failed to mention. Not trusting that Sweetie’s infection is as stable as Carol believes it to be, unsure if one of our kids had already touched an infected area, and extremely unhappy at our children being potentially put at risk without our being given any choice or forewarning in the matter, this experience put quite a damper not just on the day, but on our trip.
As a result, I very much wish that we had never visited the sanctuary, and I would suggest that if Sweetie must accompany Carol on the tours, that at the very least Carol is up front about Sweetie's infection and her assessment of its stability BEFORE any kids have touched Sweetie, and then let the parents decide what they want for their family. To not do so is either highly irresponsible or indicative of a very unappealing level of hubris.

Visited March 2013