“Chic yoga retreat on the beach in Osa!” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Osa Peninsula, Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Los Angeles, United States
“Chic yoga retreat on the beach in Osa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I was lucky enough to have just spent a week at Blue Osa. I couldn't recommend it more. It's peaceful, chic and relaxing. AMAZING food, mostly veggie and still full of flavor. Gorgeous cocktails, super fun adventure day trips. The design and planning that Adam has put into the buildings and every detail of the spaces is mirrored by Yogi Aaron's massive experience and expertise with teaching Yoga and setting a relaxed but fun atmosphere throughout. Marie and the crew in the kitchen are constantly working away prepping delicious and good for you meals. Michael the manager is a machine, running the world there with a light touch and no stress visible to guests, he's wonderful. Waking up to the sunrise over the water, leaning into a yoga class, a day trip, an amazing lunch, an afternoons rest and playing in the pool, catching up on work, cocktails, amazing dinner...sleep. REPEAT! I could stay for months. A great value for the chic, wellness traveler. This is the real deal.

Room Tip: I loved my room in the Yoga building. #4 has wifi...:)
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I had visited the Blue Osa when it first opened in 2011 and it was so beautiful that I knew I would come back and lead a retreat at this gorgeously designed resort some day. That dream just came to fruition with my first Painting, Yoga and Surf Retreat at the Blue Osa. The staff was like family, they really supported me in setting up a painting studio on site, which was an experiment and they were very accommodating! The spa treatments were world class, and the food was fabulous and the rooms and design, stunning. I love level of consciousness, heart and intentionality that the founders put into their vision and they are very committed to their own personal evolution as well as the vision of Blue Osa. I can't wait to come back next year!

Room Tip: Loved my room under the yoga pavilion facing the ocean!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

There is a lot of reason why you should go to this place, first of all it is in a great location. If your mission is do yoga, in a relax environment this is where you have to be.
The food is incredible, all healthy, fresh and good for your body and soul.
The staff is like your family, you wont know what I am talking about until you go, from the chef to the gardener, everyone is nice in a warm and friendly way.
The beach is right infront, a beautiful private beach perfect for swimming and long walk, even for a good jogging. The pool is just perfect, nothing else to say about it.
The rooms are private, clean and good taste decorated.
Beside all those reason are the peaceful environment, the silent (beside the nature noises) and the calm feeling that invite you to meditate, do yoga and be relax.
Namaste!

• Stayed August 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Blue Osa is the perfect rural Costa Rican retreat destination on Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula. Located about 30 minutes from the small town (and even smaller airport!) of Puerto Jimenez, this is the spot for you if you are looking to get off the grid and away from the world while maintaining some creature comforts and a healthy lifestyle.

Without a doubt, the star of Blue Osa is the staff. Although their attitude is laid back, these are friendly professionals with incredible integrity and sincere hospitality that I have rarely seen, even at five star resorts. With Michael as the lead, each and every staff member was clearly personally invested in making sure we had a wonderful experience during our time.

The grounds are beautifully landscaped and well maintained, with a lap pool and plenty of spots for relaxing and reflecting--be prepared (as I was not!) for an outdoor experience with plenty of requisite bugs and other wildlife. This is just part of life in the jungle and you will enjoy yourself a lot more if you learn to adapt quickly. Blue Osa is dedicated to eco friendly living so there is no air conditioning, but we found we were comfortable with fans most evenings. The beach is just steps from the main building but is not really meant for lounging--as I understand few beaches in Costa Rica are. Still, it is a stunning view and the water is warm and calm.

Besides the beautiful surroundings and comfortable room, Blue Osa prides itself on its food and that pride is well deserved and perhaps a bit understated. The food is SPECTACULAR. Delicious, satisfying, creative, and healthful. The chefs created a masterpiece at every meal and definitely made sure we were never hungry. And delicious Costa Rican coffee seems to be available all the time as you get to know others staying on property and make new friends. Not to mention Michael's skill with cocktails! They were worth every penny.

As if all this were not enough, Blue Osa is the home of the BEST spa treatment I have ever had. The Osa Ritual was worth every penny, and an amazing value in comparison to some of the best luxury spas in the states.

I would recommend Blue Osa for a solo getaway, girls getaway, or certainly a group trip and especially a yoga retreat. If you practice yoga, you owe it to yourself to practice in the Blue Osa studio. It is stunning.

The only drawbacks, which were temporary but still memorable:
1) The internet was down for our entire five day stay. This actually turned out to be a great tech free break, and an inside joke among the guests, but if you for some reason are relying upon having Internet here, I wouldn't. The staff does the best they can, but you are still in a rural part of the world.
2) Because the owners are dedicated to constant improvement, there was construction going on for our entire stay. It was bothersome to hear the sounds of power tools most of the day, and some advance notice would have been appreciated. The owner did share with us that the construction was running behind schedule (as it always does).

Room Tip: Some rooms have open roofs, some have shared baths...be sure to inquire about your room before you b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Four Day Traveler,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of Blue Osa. We so much appreciate it as it helps future travelers get a better idea of what they might expect here.

I was a little confused by the tip you offered. What is an open roof? All of our rooms have roofs and are enclosed. And regarding the statement that "some have shared baths;" your room had a private en suite as do all of our rooms. None of rooms share a bathroom with any other room.

I just wanted to clear up that information for future readers.

Again thanks so much for taking your valuable time to share your experience.

Blessings
Yogi Aaron
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I spent my birthday week at a yoga retreat at Blue Osa. It was by far the best week in my life, Its a really great and lush location right by the beach smack in the jungle, little bumpy dirt road to get there, but the resort is top notch and feels very luxury. I spent the days doing yoga with the ocean breeze as the sound track, in the biggest and most spacious studio i ever been in, ( but i also live in new york ) Beyond all this amazingness the food is also extraordinary, the owners have always been eating healty and are like gourmets and the family style dinner served every night is the yummiest and healthiest i have had in a long time!
And if your into to surfing you have the fantastic spots around the corner, mata palo for the pros, pan dulce for looooooong 2 footers for the beginners ( me ) and... your sharing with 4 people at the most... do i need to say more?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was by far one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I truly enjoyed this hotel. I am in the hotel business and have been for several years. The staff at Blue Osa was EXCEPTIONAL paired with the fine cuisine. I love healthy food and Blue Osa had it! If you are looking for an experience like none other then I highly recommend you come here. If you want a retreat away from your hectic lifestyle then this is the place for you. I felt completely at home and refreshed. I was able to let go of my busy lifestyle and everyday stress. I woke up to the birds and the sound of the ocean everyday and completely fell in love with nature all over again. This place is perfect for the soul and igniting you lifes purpose. This experience changed my life because I did it with a cast on my foot. The staff was so helpful I couldn't believe it! The acupuncture with Koji is amazing and Marcela for a massage was the best I have ever had! Michael from the staff helped me everyday! This place rocks! Namaste

Room Tip: Get the room where the yoga studio is or upstairs so you can see the water :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

As an experienced yoga teacher and long time traveler to Costa Rica, Blue Osa exceeded my expectations! It was such an authentic yoga experience, with farm to table food, an eco friendly environment, and yoga studio with spectacular views…and teachers. Blue Osa has incredibly dedicated staff, and that in part is what makes this retreat center so special. For me, Blue Osa took yoga retreat to a whole new level. MUST VISIT!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!