“The Perfect Week” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Peyton, Colorado
“The Perfect Week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you are looking for a place to get away and maybe find some quiet time to restore your soul and body, look no further than Blue Osa. A beautiful location, wonderful staff, unbelievable food, incredible spa offerings, and if this is not enough, enjoy the on site Yoga classes or one of dozens of off site adventures. I cannot wait to go back. ~ Namaste'

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We spent our honeymoon here last year (delayed entry) and it was everything that we needed. Quiet and peaceful, tropical paradise with beach location, unforgettable home-cooked meals (ended up being over Thanksgiving, and that meal was especially divine), an array of adventures, spa on site...we left very much relaxes and unwound. A few surprises and tips: we didn't realize just how rustic it would be...there is limited electricity and inconsistent access to hot water, which in some ways meant we really had to relax. We got a free upgrade to a suite with an incredible 360 degree view due! Be prepared to feel hot and sticky most of the time, which we were at peace with. If you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs because the crashing waves and howler monkeys would have definitely kept me up at night otherwise. Though this is a yoga retreat, there was only one yoga class offered over the course of the 8 days we were there. And when one of us became injured, the first aid kit supplies were expired...so maybe bring some basics of your own as it's easy to get beat up when you're adventuring. And definitely bring buy spray and itch relief cream if you are prone to getting bitten!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Asha,

Thank you so much for taking the time, almost a year later, to write a review for us. Reviews always help other people to get to know our place a little better through the eyes of other people.

We are indeed a yoga retreat. And the physical practice of yoga is one small part of the practice of yoga. Sadly, many people get stuck in the physical practice. But Blue Osa is more about providing the space for people to embrace the most important aspects. Learning to be mindful in the world and learning to leave a smaller imprint is one of the highest forms of yoga. We have found over the last four years that this is why most people love to come to Blue Osa.

Having said that, when you came, we did offer private yoga (asana) classes. I don't recall if you took advantage of that or not, but it was available.

Blue Osa primarily provides the space to Yoga Teachers who are looking to bring their own yoga groups to Blue Osa. The Yoga Teachers lead their own yoga classes, and guests staying at Blue Osa who are not apart of these groups are often invited to join in either for free or for a nominal fee.

I also wanted to let you know that, as of this time, we do offer daily yoga class rituals that take place in the mornings at 9 am when there are no yoga groups at Blue Osa. For more information about the yoga offered, you can check out our new web page at www.blueosa.com/yoga

We are thrilled you had a great honeymoon. Blue Osa is always available to you when you need a reprieve and space to come back to what is important.

Blessings
Aaron
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Blue Osa Retreat and Spa is a special place for me. I loved this place. For me it is ultimate yoga vacation where I can leave the urban daily pressures and stresses to find relaxation and a sense of home coming. From the first step upon the property the greeting from Aaron, Adam, and his staff gave me the impression that they were really grateful and happy to meet me. This is a place where you are truly feel welcomed, comfortable, and at home.
The spa treatments were amazing, I picked the Coffee Scrub, with a coconut oil rub. Awesome!!!! It really felt great.
The yoga studio is gorgeous and over looks the well manicured tropical grounds,and with a view of the ocean. While practicing yoga in the studio I could hear the sounds of the surf coming on shore during the morning and evening yoga asanas.
Furthermore the cuisine, well there are not enough words to describe the most delicious local food with so many choices to choose from and with so many dietary options, they cover it all.
My afternoon chi walks on the beach was amazing with vibrant colors, tropical sounds, and warm sun light on my skin.
Mediation in the afternoon was a breeze, with so many places to find solitude you chose. My favorite sitting at the end of the pool and soak in the water while taking the sounds of the jungle. Exotic. Wow!! Coming to Costa Rica in September was really fantastic.
I will definitely go back and I know they will remember me, because they made feel so at home . Thanks for the memories guys. Charles Airey Certified Kripalu Yoga Teacher Retreat Week

Room Tip: I stay in the Love Room, I could hear the sound of the ocean, and it has nice sunrise light & t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Catonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I recently traveled with my boyfriend to Blue Osa after we bought a deal on LivingSocial and it was everything we could have asked for and more! The food was outstanding, the staff was generally very welcoming, and the excursions were divine! I would recommend visiting the Animal Sanctuary (you can't wear bug spray - just a heads-up!) and doing the Mangrove Kayaking Tour - both were outstanding and we saw humpback whales on both excursions. The yoga studio was also gorgeous and I would recommend taking a class or two. I would also recommend getting spa services while you're at Blue Osa (I got the coffee body scrub - WOW!). We met some truly wonderful people on this trip and I would definitely recommend visiting this place if you're looking to de-stress, clear your head, and be one with nature. Don't forget the bug spray and LOTS of sunscreen!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I've returned to Blue Osa this year as a Yoga Retreat leader. Based on my experience last year I couldn't wait to introduce my students to the magic of this place. The moment you step off the plane you are greeted by the shuttle driver, he/she would not only drive you to the resort but was willing to make short stops during the ride for a monkey, macaw or hawk sighting.
Once you arrive to Blue Osa the blue gate welcomes you to a full body and mind experience. It was my second time here but the magic hasn't faded a bit. From the beautiful landscape, the comfortable and airy rooms, that crystalline pool inviting you for a soak even in the early morning, to the canine family, that joins you for beach walks even during sunrise meditation walks. Chef Jose and the rest of the kitchen staff did an amazing job again, I wouldn't expect any less form them. The power that the Yoga Deck has is only enhanced by the guests that Blue Osa attracts, we all come in as strangers and leave a family. This year we not only did the Chocolate Tour, the Zip-lining tour, again, but we also took the Matapalo Half-Day Hike tour. Fillo was an excellent guide and his sense of adventure and knowledge of the landscape will blow your mind. I will not spoil the surprise half way through the hike but I'm sure you'll be awed by nature once again. I encourage you to wake up your sense of adventure and join the Blue Osa family for a week or a month, you'll feel alive and restored and with the desire to return as soon as possible. Thank you Aaron and Adam for the vision, Michael for running everything so smoothly and making sure my students and I had the best experience ever, and to the rest of the family for being there for each one of us. I can't wait to see you all again in December, yes, December 2013. Lots of love and Namaste.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Lovingly and superbly crafted, Blue Osa offers an incredible getaway for both yoga practitioners and vacationers. From small, but important details such as individual reading lights that won't bother your companion to deliciously creative meals, they thought out every detail. The 20m lap pool is brilliant, the yoga studio is gorgeous, the rooms are very charming. They landscaped the property so beautifully, it is a pleasure to behold. The staff is wonderful and helpful. The ocean, of course. And the sweet and well-behaved dogs. Wait till you are in the company of these animals--they help you to relax and be free. I was lucky to land the week an excellent yoga instructor was running his retreat (Alain Benitez from Philly). He made the yoga part of this experience fantastic. Thank you Blue Osa.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have more windows and should be more breezy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I remember looking at some of the reviews of TripAdvisor for Blue Osa before I left, and I recall some people talking about the lack of hot water. I had plenty of hot water in my shower. No problem whatsoever.

No problem at all with bugs either. I didn't even use the mosquito net over my bed. Very elegant and classy linens. I noticed the toilet paper was perfumed too - a very nice touch.

The food is EXCELLENT, and the cooks are very friendly. I felt sad in having to say goodbye to Olger, Rafa, Jose, and Chili.

The beach is great too, but I recommend walking down a bit from the part right in front of the hotel. Notice where it is not rocky at low tide, and go swimming there.

For the side tours, which cost extra, I recommend the chocolate tour and the half-day trek with Fio.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!