“Perfect honeymoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Perfect honeymoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I can't even begin to describe how wonderful our honeymoon was at Blue Osa. From the moment we set foot onto the grounds, we felt like part of a family. We met two sisters, Marty and Lauren Baker, on our second day and they quickly became our friends; we were very sad when they left! It was amazing how such a beautiful place was able to bring us together. The food was delicious every day, and Marie was wonderful in the kitchen along with the rest of the staff. It was so great to wake up early and never know what time it was; I truly felt disconnected from everything. Coffee is brewed fresh all day starting at 5:15 AM, and the nature was breathtaking. I've never seen so many animals in their natural habitat before, and it was really cool to see how environmentally conscious everyone was.

The tours we went on were amazing! The chocolate tour was one of my favorites; I felt as though I learned a lot about organic farming and I wasn't expecting it. The jungle hike and bird watching with Fillo were so much fun, mostly because he had such beautiful energy and excitement about the animals.

I didn't want to leave this beautiful place, and will be sure to return again with my wife when Marie does one of her cooking retreats! :) Highly recommended and a perfect way to relax!!

Room Tip: Make sure to use the mosquito netting at night! :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Went to Blue Osa on the recommendation of a yoga friend. What I found there exceeded my expectations! The property is breathtaking - the views spectacular, the yoga studio overlooks the grounds and the ocean, and could comfortably fit 50 yogis.

The owners, Adam and Aron, were on the premises during my entire stay and bent over backwards to accommodate all my requests. They joined us for dinner and seemed to genuinely enjoy the realization of the dream they hatched only five short years ago.

I cannot say enough good things about the delightful and multi-talented staff! Almost all of them are tikos, and it was a pleasure to be in the company of people who were happy to have Americans as guests.

Loved the resident yoga instructor Jess, and was sorry I hadn't booked more private yoga sessions! Last but not least: if you do nothing else during your stay at Blue Osa, get a massage (or two, or three...) from Jesus. Absolutely the BEST medical massage I have EVER had! I Seriously, I feel like my neck is in the right place for the first time in 51 years!

Thanks again to Adam and Aron and the terrific staff. I'll definitely be back:)

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms definitely worth the nominal additional charge.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Having just returned from Costa Rica and Blue Osa this past weekend, I can tell you right now, I miss it terribly!!

I was at Blue Osa for a full week, on a Personal Yoga retreat package, and so had the opportunity to see several guests come and go, and every time someone would leave, I would think, "Thank God that's not me..."! Traveling solo can sometimes be daunting, but landing at Blue Osa was the best thing that could have happened; I was welcomed like family from Day One.

For starters, the place is absolutely beautiful, newly built with a designer's immaculate touch, with comfortable, eco-friendly accommodations, and a dining/common area that is just perfect to get to know the other interesting people there from around the world. The yoga studio, a stunning, 2nd floor, open-air space, with the ocean crashing just yards away, was easily the most serene place in which I've ever had the opportunity to practice yoga. And the food...where to begin? Each meal is so well put together, so fresh, so healthy, and so damn good, and made every day by such a great, friendly, talented group of people, under the direction of Marie, the official kitchen mother of Blue Osa.

The staff were all top-notch, and so caring; I felt like I was part of the Blue Osa family immediately. Aaron and Adam, the owners, are such interesting, cool guys, I loved our impromptu conversations. Jessica, my yoga teacher, was outstanding, so knowledgeable and relaxed; she helped me push my practice to places I had not been before, and my twice a day sessions with her became a luxurious, relaxing, energizing habit! I started, and then ended, the week with a yoga massage with Jesús in the Spa, which I will tell you, might be the two best massages I have ever had, and I've traveled a lot; strong, intuitive, therapeutic. Wow.

The magic of this place for me was that it could be, and was, anything I wanted and needed it to be, relaxing, active, connected, solo, everything. Sun by the stunning pool, reading in the covered outdoor "living room" on a rainy afternoon, the private beach barely 100 ft away, or kayaking in a mangrove forest, rappelling down waterfalls, & zip lining through the forest canopy.

I left thoroughly refreshed, having made some fantastic new friends, both guests and staff, and completely wanting it to not come to an end! I would recommend this place highly to anyone needing a battery recharge, solo travelers, couples, or groups looking for that picture-perfect place to have their own yoga retreat. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: There is no A/C at the resort, but with the steady ocean breezes, architecturally designed spaces to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Terrific experience. Where to start? The beauty. Yes, the beauty. They bill Blue Osa as "where the jungle meets the beach" and that is true! Incredible tropical surroundings and beautiful, almost-private, beach. (So safe, too.)

The beauty continues to the Blue Osa grounds, carved out of the jungle, and landscaped just right. Intimate place, with a gorgeous adult-like pool area, small spa (great massage!), and exotic flora and fauna that kept me shooting pictures!

Equaling the natural beauty is the beauty of the people. They go beyond being great hosts to tourists. There is a real sense of gentleness, warmth, and kindness. A true beauty that enabled me to immediately let go of the everyday...just what a vacation is for!

The food is terrific, served family style, with an uncommon grace. Healthful and so delicious! Served in a covered patio, so you are always enjoying the outdoors. Rooms are simple, comfortable, and pitch perfect in design. Simple, but not Spartan --great bath! The yoga studio is gorgeous -- check out the architecture and water view even if you don't do yoga.

Also plenty to do on excursions, including some offered by Blue Osa itself -- a nature hike through the rainforest and fantastic bird watching! (I never considered bird watching before, but it was great fun.)

I was there with a sister, and the other guests were also adults. Can't comment on taking children, but I highly recommend this for adults who want to truly relax and enjoy a beautiful place and beautiful people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I didn't want to go home! I've been to many other countries and cultures, resorts and cities, tropical and cold. But I've always been ready to go home. Blue Osa steals your heart.... everyone working there is kind and genuine. The food is fresh, local, beautifully served, and tastes of the caribbean and love - (thank you Marie and the wonderful man whose name I can't ever remember!). There were several tours that were fun and cheaper to share transportation with other guests. I loved zip-lining and the boat ride to the Animal Sanctuary. Jago was knowledgable, a great driver and always on time! Michael and Aaron were both helpful as needed. The groundskeepers were passionate about sharing their information about the plants, trees, flowers and animals.

The rooms were comfortable and spotless. While there is no AC it didn't matter - and I like AC. The pool was clean and refreshing. The sanctuary by the pool was a wonderful place to read or meditate. The yoga studio upstairs overlooking the ocean was breathtaking. The meals were served with other guests and in our case that was fantastic as the other guests were engaging, intelligent and fun.

If you are a woman considering traveling alone this is a place you will feel safe. Don't be weirded out if you don't do yoga... this is a fantastic place regardless. If you want a peaceful retreat, beautiful sunrises, a truly private natural beach, and time to unwind Blue Osa won't disappoint. The pictures are exactly what you will find there....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had the wonderful good fortune of leading a yoga & shamanic retreat at the Blue Osa. Blue Osa came highly recommended. To say that it did not disappoint would be an understatement. Having traveled to many parts of the world it ranks right up at the top on my list of favorite places.

The food was fabulous, the kitchen is in the very masterful hands of the head chef Marie and her amazing team.

You could not ask for a more sublime setting and environment. You are surrounded on 3 sides by jungle, and the fourth side is the ocean. I had never thought of getting up at 4:45am as a treat, but it is at the Blue Osa...you can walk down to the beach for the daily ritual of watching the sun rising over the water. The howler monkeys are very helpful in getting you up on time for the sun rise. The Blue Osa dogs are sure to assist you whenever you feel like a walk on the beach. You are sure to see & hear the scarlet macaws during your idyllic, nurturing, and rejuvenating time spent at the resort.

Our group had come from all over the US, Canada, and Europe, so there were many wonderful conversations in English, French, and Spanish. Aaron and the rest of the staff did an excellent job making everyone feel very welcome and comfortable.

Blue Osa has a small and intimate feeling, and at the same time you can't help but be affected by the beauty and power of being strongly connected to the land and nature. What a heavenly and rare combination.

Being a yoga instructor and practitioner I now come to my only complaint about Blue Osa. They have made it impossible for me to teach or practice anywhere and not be a little disappointed. I have experienced some very nice yoga studios, but Blue Osa surpasses them all. They have created the most amazing yoga "deck" in the world, (or at least in my world). It is located up on the 2nd level. It is large, open, and full of light. As you practice you look out over the amazing grounds and out onto the ocean. You feel held by nature as you practice.

I look forward to leading my next retreat at The Blue Osa.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Telluride, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

What I liked the best about Blue Osa was the food! Marie and her staff cooked the most amazing meals!! I went to Blue Osa for a massage class, and the resort is advertised a yoga retreat. I thought it would be great to go to such a beautiful location to learn, and also practice yoga everyday! When I arrived, after along bumpy ride down a dirt road, I was in awe of the location of Blue Osa. The grounds were immaculate and the staff seemed very friendly! The room that I stayed in was spectacular with hard wood floors, really comfortable beds and a safe inside for personal items. The bathroom was shared between three rooms however. Not all of the rooms at the resort were this way though. They served cocktails there, but they were $8 a piece, $6 for a glass of wine, $5 for a beer. This seemed high for costa rica. I went on some adventure tours while I was there, and every time we went somewhere it required a taxi service which ranged from $20-$40 each time. Which I also thought was high. When I was booking my trip, I specifically asked if there would be yoga classes daily, the response was yes. When I got There, the only yoga class was taught by one of the massage teachers. There was no yoga, which was a huge disappointment. Also, they had bikes for rent, which were the crappiest bikes, the brakes and gears didn't even work on some of them, and they charge $20 each time for rental. This place was beautiful- very far removed from the town of Puerto Jimenez, but it was very expensive!! Also toward the end of my stay I experienced some rude behavior from some of the staff which made me want to leave. My bill just for my tours, drinks, rentals, one accupuncture treatment and taxis for 6 days totaled over $800. Whew! I had a lot of fun, but payed a pretty penny!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Hi Lindsay

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great and detailed review.

My recollection of you during the week is that you had a spectacular time taking advantage of the many offerings we have and had a really great week which included not only acupuncture, but surfing, zip lining, joining an intimate staff party, hiking and much more.

The one thing I did want to clarify for you is that you came with a group offering a massage training at Blue Osa. Blue Osa provides the space for many groups to hold their yoga retreats, massage trainings, weddings, corporate retreats, etc.

Blue Osa has no influence over the schedule of these groups, what they offer or don't, their schedule of activities. I am sorry you did not experience more yoga while you were here. We do host many fantastic world renowned yoga teachers at Blue Osa and hope that you can come back and join one of them in the future.

Many blessings
Aaron

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!